Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
washingtonkayaker

Fisher Paykel Washing Machine broken - Help!

WashingtonKayaker
11 years ago

My Fisher Paykel GWL11 Top Load Washer will not start. Pressing the start button does nothing. No panel lights light up and there is no sound indicating anything happened. I got a hold of the manual (thank you members SB123 & Dadoes) and have done a bit of research and tried a few things already... Still not working. The motor control module (the main brain) has a fuse that is soldered into the circuit board that does not look like it is designed to be removed, and that fuse keeps blowing. The most common reason for this is caused by the pump motor, but that is not the cause in my case. My best guess is that either the rotor position sensor, direct drive motor, water solenoids, display module, or wiring harness have a short in them somewhere, but I am not experienced in troubleshooting electrical problems.

More details: I have replaced the drain pump (Part# 420325P) and the motor control module (Part# Ctr sd11 1) and added the fuse kit as well (Part# 479595F), and the Hot Water Inlet Valve (Part# 420237P - but that is a different problem). Once I got it back together and plugged it in, 2 lights on the control panel lit up, showing error code 9 "Size Switch Error". The "SmartDrive Size Setting Instructions" say to ensure that no LED's are lit before proceeding to the next steps, if so, press the POWER button to turn them off. I pressed the power button as per instructions, the once the LED's were off I followed step number 2 of the instructions: "Press and hold the TEMPERATURE UP button then press the POWER button. The instructions indicate that it should give 4 beeps. There were no beeps. The next step is to press the SPIN SPEED UP button, which I did. Nothing happened. The next step is to press the POWER button, which I did. Nothing. The machine will not power on. I checked the new inline fuse and it has not blown. I unplugged the machine for a few minutes then plugged it back in. Nothing. I verified power at the plug. I double checked that everything was plugged in securely to the main control panel. Everything looks right, but no power... I removed the motor control module from the machine, then took out the circuit board and the fuse is blown.

Comments (26)

• WashingtonKayaker
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I thought I replied to this and have been anxiously waiting for your response, only to discover that my previous post failed :-( so I'll try again:

I'm not certain how to test these components. For example, the manual says that the wash motor is an "electronically commutated direct drive 3 Phase brushless DC Motor" and that the motor Resistance per Phase is 16 ohms @ 68F, but how do you test this? There are three wires coming out of this motor, there are two leads on an ohm meter, where does each lead go to test? There are a half dozen or so wires coming from the display to the motor controller, I have no idea how to test this component... Also, the pump motor resistance is 7 ohms @ 68F, do you test this by placing the leads of an ohm meter to each of the two plugs? (there are two plugs, and a separate ground on this motor as I recall). I believe that there are two plugs on the Water Valve, Thermistor, Diverter Valve and Lid Lock as well, do you place a lead on each plug to test resistance on each of these as well?

Once each of these components is tested, hopefully resulting in the identification and replacement of the offending one, then the motor controller needs to be fixed. I cannot afford to buy another one, and I suspect that all that is wrong is a blown fuse. There is a small glass cased fuse on the board that has blown, however it does not look like it is possible to replace it (this is not like the TR5 fuse mentioned in a previous post, it looks more like an old style automobile fuse), is there any way to replace this fuse?

Thank you for your help!

• WashingtonKayaker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm looking at the wire diagram, and each component thinking about what is most likely the problem given how/when the controller went out (i.e. before resizing, let alone using the machine) it seems that the problem is most likely the Display Module, but I cannot find any information that will help determine how to test it...

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Correct on checking the pump resistance ... or any other component.

Set the multimeter to ohms mode, an appropriate range for the expected reading (1X should read 7, 10x would read 70, 100x would read 700, etc.). Disconnect the machine from power. Disconnect the wires from the pump. Touch one meter probe to one terminal on the pump, the other probe to the other terminal. The meter sends a very low-voltage electric current through the motor and interprets how much resistance the motor windings have on the current passing through.

Same for the diverter ... disconnect the wires from it, touch the meter probes to the terminals.

Testing the SmartDrive motor is easiest using the wires in the console to avoid disassembling the motor. Disconnect the appropriate connector plug from the control board and touch the meter probes to the connectors in the plug. Check all combinations of the three wires (blue & yellow, blue & red, red & yellow), should get 32 ohms (16+16) in all cases.

There's no specific way to test the display module other than process of elimination or by outright replacing it, but it's unlikely to be the problem.

The controller board fuse (6.3a, 250v, IIRC, but check it to confirm) is soldered in place and not intended to be replaced separately. Premise is that if the fuse blows then some other components on the board probably also are bad. However, I've heard of a few people who have done that to success ... and at least one case in which the board did have other bad components.

• WashingtonKayaker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked all of the components:

Wash Motor: All 3 combinations were 32 ohms (spec= 32 ohms)
    Pump Motor: 7 ohms (spec=7 ohms)
    Water Valves: 64 ohms (both H&C) (spec=64 ohms)
    Diverter Valve: 2.2k (spec=0.7-2.5k)
    Lid Lock: 68 ohms (spec=73 ohms (+/-5)
    Thermister: 8.3 ohms (spec=10,000 ohms)

I suspect that the Thermister will need to be replaced, but I doubt that it is causing the fuse on the motor controller to blow - thoughts?

I removed the T6 Radial style fuse from the Motor Controller circuit board (250V, 6.3A (T6.3A), Slow Blow) and soldered in a fuse holder in its place and can now use a replaceable glass fuse, and did the same to the new motor controller I bought (it had a glass fuse soldered directly onto the board), I'm hoping at least one of the two boards will work.

I thought that I'd try a process of elimination to see if I can determine what is causing the fuse to blow, so I tried plugging in just the display (and of course the power/ground). When I plug in the machine, I get 4-5 beeps in very quick succession (not the "rippling set of 5 beeps repeated every 6 seconds" which happens if your load is not balanced or some other similar problem), then nothing. No lights on the display. Nothing happens when I try getting into diagnostic mode (Press and hold the WASH TEMP DOWN button and then the POWER button until the machine gives 2 short beeps and lights up. Release buttons when the beeps indicate diagnostic mode has been entered).

Do you know what this means? Next I'll try hooking everything up but the thermister to see what results I get...

• WashingtonKayaker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hooked up everything except the thermistor and it turned on - displaying error code 9 - which was expected - it means that you need to resize the controller for your machine. I went through the sequence to resize, and it worked.

I've got a replacement thermistor on order...

Note to anyone that happens to read this post in the future with a similar problem, it seems that any part going out can potentially cause the fuse on the motor controller to blow, and these fuses can be replaced if you can solder (it beats paying $140+ for another controller). My original board came with a Through Hole T6.3A 6.3A 250V Radial Leads Miniature Micro Fuse, and you can buy these online (I've seen as low at $5 for 20) or you can solder a fuse holder in its place and use replaceable SLOW BLOW glass fuses, if they blow again it will be easier to replace note also that you may need to modify the motor controller case due to the size difference having the replaceable fuse holder.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Does seem odd that a bad thermistor could blow the board. The reading on it varies of course per temperature but 8.3 ohms is far short of the 10K ohms spec @ 77F, so there's that. The F&P electrical design is highly dependent on and sensitive to current resistance between the various machine components.

Other components -- diverter, pump -- may go off-spec during operation when under load from use, so be advised that the board could still blow again after changing the thermistor. Also possible that some other malfunction of the board could appear during operation if other components on it are damaged from the previous failure.

If all goes well, nice repair!

• WashingtonKayaker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I agree with you, and there might prove to be something else going on as well. Won't know for sure till the part arrives. If there is anything else wrong, I'll post an update - hopefully someone can benefit from the info.

• WashingtonKayaker
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I got my washing machine working, and am posting this information for the benefit of anyone that may run into this or similar a problem.

It turns out that after replacing the thermistor the washing machine worked flawlessly (I had already fixed the main controller board by soldering in new fuses, and replaced the drain pump motor because it showed some signs of past moisture on the copper windings). The replacement controller board I bought did not work, even after replacing the fuse, but my original board did.

I almost thought that it was not the thermistor after all because it did not work after I installed the new thermistor. At that point I almost junked the machine, but I got a call from the owner of an appliance store I'd spoken to about this who has just got the same model washing machine from a customer after selling them a new one, and he offered to let me have it. The thermitor I took off of this non-operational washing machine worked (this appliance store owner was a good, long time friend of a good friend of mine, so you may not have the same luck trying to salvage parts from an appliance store near you). As an FYI, I tested all the parts on this washing machine, and everything checked out, except the main motor control board, so I'd guess it is possible for them to go bad without help from other components.

Another thing I should mentioned for the benefit of any other person having problems - I tried using the service "JustAnswer.com" and the answer I got from the 'expert' cost me a lot of time and money. He told me that the only thing that would cause the board to 'go bad' is blockage in the drain pump causing it to draw too many amps which fries the board, and that it is not possible to test the other components. Not true... A problem with any component can potentially cause the board to fail, and every component can and should be tested before replacing any parts. It is not hard or time consuming to test these components and dadoes provided the information needed to t thread - take a minute or two to read it, it may save you a lot of time, frustration and money in the long run.
    Beware also that a replacement board may be different that the original. Mine was, and if you are not careful you can plug something in wrong and that will fry your board (and most likely not the fuse, so your board will be toast unless you know how to test and fix all the components of this circuit board).

According to a new friend that owns an appliance store down the street and his Fisher Paykel rep that use to repair them, for about 10 years, by far the most common problem with these machines are the pump motor, which over time can leak water onto the pump. For this reason I'd recommend to anyone that owns one to buy/install a fuse to prevent the motor from damaging the control board (a very expensive replacement part). and as an FYI, they also said that the wash motor almost never goes bad so that should be the last thing you look at...

Good luck.

• jdemoors
    9 years ago

This post was EXTREMELY helpful. I've got a GWL11 series that was made in 2007. Last week as a load of wash was completing the rinse cycle, the machine began to beep every few seconds. I turned it off, then restarted any forwarded to the rinse part of the cycle. The machine started up for about 10 seconds, then it just turned off. No display, no power or anything.

After reading this post, I went to the main control board and found that the fuse that is soldered to that board was blown. Then after doing some trouble shooting, I found that the drain pump had died and that is what had blown the fuse on the main board.

I ordered a new drain pump for $95 on Ebay:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-479595-420325P-Fisher-Paykel-Washer-Drain-Pump-Fuse-Kit-New-/301225152324?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item46226b0f44

At the same time I went to Amazon and ordered new fuses for the main control board, as well as an inline fuse holder, with the idea that I'd cut the blown fuse out of the main board and solder on the inline fuse holder with the new fuse inserted within. This way, if the fuse blows again, it's much easier to replace.

Here are those items:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0094DFECI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZF4CU2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After receiving the fuses and the inline fuse holder, I cut out the blown fuse on the main board, then took the 2 stubs of metal that were left on the main board and rolled them into J hooks. I then rolled each end of the inline fuse holder into a J hook, connected them all together and soldered them.

Later the drain pump arrived, and within that kit came another inline fuse holder and fuse, to use as a bypass to protect the main board if the drain pump were to go again in the future.

Since I had already put the inline fuse holder on the main board, it's likely that I could have bypassed adding the additional fuse via splice to the brown line cord that connects the drain pump to the main board, but I added it anyway.

Once I finished with that part of the fix, I plugged in the washer and VOILA it lit right up and I ran 4 loads of wash that night without issue.

So, my issue was slightly different than what was originally placed in this post, but I wanted to share my experience and thank "WashingtonKayaker" in helping me diagnose/resolve my issue.

• kris75
    9 years ago

Ok, on Monday, January 5, 2015, I noticed some water coming out from the bottom of my washer. I have the fisher/paykel Eco smart. After doing quite a bit of research figured out it was the drain pump. It worked, just leaked a little water. Long story short, I have replaced the pump, put in the fuse that came along with it and put the console lid back on. I plugged it in and it went through the process of chirping and scrolling down the cycle lights, but now NOTHING!! I hit power and absolutely NOTHING!! Now what??

• dadoes
    9 years ago

A dead machine pretty much = dead motor board. Other than that, power is not getting to the board due to some sort of electrical problem such as a main power wire off the board.

You didn't say what model is your machine. GWL10 (Phase 5 design) runs mains power through the pump, and takes a different pump (230v) than other models. A wrong pump (120v) installed could burn out under the high current, thus making the machine dead.

• terriv1335
    8 years ago

GWL10US Fisher Paykel : After completing a wash with no error beeps and no problems wash machine will not power up at all. The outlet has power. I read if its a bad motor you get no power and after checking the voltage on the motor it reads 34ohms which is normal(if i am doing it correctly) . The motor looks great-no corrosion. The drain pumps are clear as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Terri

• dadoes
    8 years ago

Ohms is a reading of resistance, not voltage. Unplug the machine's power cord from the wall outlet. Disconnect the two-wire connector plug from the pump motor, touch the meter probes to the terminals on the motor socket. Be sure you are reading the meter scale correctly and not misinterpreting 340 or 3400 or 34000 ohms. 33 ohms is nominal for a GWL10 pump, 34 ohms is within acceptable range. The reason the pump can be relevant to a dead GW10 is because that model runs mains power through the pump windings. Primary alternate source of a dead machine is a bad motor controller board.

• terriv1335
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for the information.

34.1 Ω is exactly what digital multimeter reads on Ω setting after my husband double checked

I am going to purchase a motor controller board and my question to you is should I buy a new motor anyway? Even though we have had no trouble for 10 years,I have read above the fuse issue seems to be a problem damaging the board. We are not familar with adding fuse process and new motor comes with fuse and apparent solution.

• dadoes
    8 years ago

GWL10 takes a different pump than other F&P washers. Part number 420324P, it's unique to GWL10 (runs on 230v current which is provided internally by the motor controller board). The retrofit fuse is not applicable, is not included with it. A bad pump on GWL10 is less likely to zap the board than other models (although anything is possible when a malfunction occurs).

Your choice whether to get a pump to have a spare. I suppose there could be something wrong with the pump even though it's testing OK for the ohms reading but that's not likely.

Also, to clarify, there are two motors in the machine. The pump is a separate component from the main drive motor that runs the agitator and spin basket.

You reference 10 years. A GWL10 should be older than 10 years. What's the serial number?

• terriv1335
    8 years ago

You are correct,I was looking at a repair bill. Serial DUL 613511.The machine is 14 years old!

The motor controller board I am ordering should be 426930P,is that right? Is there anything we should be aware of when installing it? We are not that technically savy,but we installed OOB Switch Assembly which came with good instructions.

Yes I have a schematic. The pump motor I was contemplating replacing in on front right when I tip machine forward. Going to hold off on that. The pump motor looks excellent shape.

Thanks for taking time to help and the clarifications

• dadoes
    8 years ago

The replacement board may have some slight differences but instructions should be included and it's just a matter of matching-up the various connectors.

Your serial number indicates manufacture in Nov 2000.

• terriv13356
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for you assistance in repairing theFisher Paykel GWL10. We are up and running after several loads:)

For other DIY'ers : Attachment is for those need more help putting in new board. I used steps 1 thru 3 to install new motor controller board,these are directions refurbishing a board. Note there is socket for diverter plug connection,there is not one for the GWL10.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-repair-a-Fisher-Paykel-Washing-Machine/?ALLSTEPS

• terriv13356
    8 years ago

FYI DIY'ers A good idea I came across was to put a mirror under the machine where drain pump is if you want to check for leaks,shining a flashlight on mirror.

• richcolangelo
    8 years ago

Thanks to this helpful feed, I went downstairs to see if I could check the mother board, which appears to mean new washer time. The first thing I did was make sure all of the connections were tight. One was loose, and the machine turned right on when I plugged it in. Just a heads to to check all of those before taking it apart further. Not being a professional, it saved me hours of time.

• online7921
    7 years ago

I have a similar problem with my IW711E intuitive eco washing machine. The 4A fuse on the control module has blown. I've replaced it with a fuse holder and 4A fuse, which then blew after reconnecting the machine - it also trips the fuse in my fuse box.

Multimeter readings:

Thermistor 13000
    Pump motor 32.7
    Wash motor 30.5
    Valves hot 60, cold 63.5
    Diverter 2250
    Lid lock 65.6

A couple of these are slightly out accordiing to the manual - http://cdn.instructables.com/ORIG/FSJ/Q52U/GLWR2CEI/FSJQ52UGLWR2CEI.pdf, which has Lid lock at 73 ohms +/- 5 ohms and valves at 64 ohms. Not sure how much difference that makes?

The drain pump seems ok, I've tested it separately with mains power and it spins ok.

Are there other diagnostics I can run? I see that WashingtonKayaker hooked up everything except the thermistor. Is it possible to leave other components not hooked up to the control module, see if it starts (doesn't blow the fuse) and then hook the components up one-by-one?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can give. Otherwise I'm off to buy a new machine.

• dadoes
    7 years ago

The lid lock is farthest off from the target range. It doesn't lock except during spin (right?) so you can try disconnecting the lock to check if that helps but the machine may expect the device to be "live" on the circuit and throw an immediate fault code.

Any evidence of leaking on the pump? That's a common failure. Also check the resistance on it after it has run a while (via testing outside the machine), it could go further off-spec when heated from running.

Check over the entire wiring structure for a possible short or pinched wire.

• online7921
    7 years ago

Thanks for the reply @dadoes, and for all your other useful posts on this site. The fuse is still blowing with the lid lock disconnected, and with the pump disconnected. I've also now found another component that's blown on the board. Given the age of the machine and the cost of a new board, I'll stop there and get a new machine.

• heartfire9
    5 years ago
    Fisher and paykel gwl15 washer. Runs, but starts beeping, changes cold to hot, can press forward to get to restart. Bad controller board?????
  • dadoes
    5 years ago

HeartFire9,

Saying that it "runs but starts beeping" is not sufficient information. Beeping is indication of an operational fault. The pattern of lights on the console is a clue to the problem along with what function the machine is attempting to perform. Saying the problem happens during Wash or Rinse or Spin also isn't sufficient without information about the light pattern. Wash, Rinse, and Spin are cycle phases, not specific functions. Multiple functions occur during the various cycle phases.