Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do any of you use Ammonia in your laundry?

Posted by mark40511 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 20:47

A friend of mine says she uses ammonia in her wash and I've never heard of that. It does indeed say on the back of a bottle of ammonia that you can add it to laundry. Does it disinfect?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do any of you use Ammonia in your laundry?

I don't think I would use ammonia on clothes, it is way too harsh. It would disinfect, but I think I would stick with bleach!

o

My mom always washed wool blankets in ammonia. She said it made them fluffy without harming the fibers. She used those wool blankets for decades.

Ammonia, when properly diluted, isn't really harsher (more alkaline) than laundry detergent.

o

I used to use a little ammonia occasionally but don't bother anymore. Can't stand the smell. If you do, be sure to use non-sudsing ammonia!

o

Be very careful not to mix it with other detergents or bleach as it will release noxious fumes and potentially harmful invisible fumes into the air.

I remember way back when, they made Spic and Span in the box. Powedered Spic and Span and amonia was a fabulous cleaning product for walls, floor, etc. and anthing that had grease on it. Can't mix the liquid Spic and Span with the amonia as the fumes will kill you.

o

Ammonia and detergent will take out stains that are tough. (Stains on the necks of shirts come to mind) In my experience, much kinder than bleach. Bleach will ruin many dyes. Bleach will *dissolve* wool. I've tested fabric of unknown content this way.

Ammonia to clean wool blankets..never thought of that, but it does make sense, especially when you figure blankets aren't washed as often as sheets. I use unscented detergent, and I've never noticed any ammonia smell to finished laundry.

o

Ammonia for the laundry is my new best friend!!

A few months ago a friend told me she used it for everything from grass stains in football uniforms to yellow stains under the arms. I have to say that it does work like a charm. I bought a squeeze applicator bottle from walmart(the type you would use to to drizzle chocolate) and mix it with a small amount of laundry detergent to give it a bit more weight to squirt out on stains and keep it right on the laundry shelf. I apply it to dress shirts, cuffs, spots,etc. I love it!

o

I will try the ammonia on the underarm stains, that has been driving me crazy,because bleach and stain removers don't get it out. I am getting rid of all the white undershirts because of the staining.
Also, the front loading washers do not do a good job at cleaning clothes. There is not enough water in there to have a good drink,let alone clean the laundry!

o

I've used ammonia for probably 35 years. It's great for fresh perspiration stains. Just add it to the wash cycle, it's a great deodoriser too. White vinegar is best for old stains. I've soaked my stained t-shirts in undiluted vinegar for a couple of days, all of the stains gone. I've done it with coloured t's, should work with white too. I figured out years ago that the staining on my t's came from using anti-perspirant, when I switched to plain, old deodorant the staining resolved.

o

"Also, the front loading washers do not do a good job at cleaning clothes. There is not enough water in there to have a good drink,let alone clean the laundry!"

what??? someone please tell me this isn't true!
and thanks for the tip on ammonia. it's on my list!

o

I just had to buy a huge bottle of ammonia for my sons science fair project. We only need a dash, so I pretty much have this full huge bottle and don't know what to do with it. How do you use it in the laundry? A little, a lot, some? Does it hurt colors? I know nothing about ammonia other than its cheap!

o

Personally, I use in my Duet fl washer less than a half cup. I usually use it on colored clothes. I pour it through the detergent dispenser first, then I add a couple of tbs of Tide HE... I don't use it on whites because I use a small amt of bleach (a really small amt) but I'm sure you could use it on whites as well. I think its just a laundry booster. It's cheap and lasts a long time. If you have a TL washer you would use more.

o

Listen, I've been using ammonia for at least 19 years (I'm 36), for laundry and cleaning it's GREAT!!! My grandmother taught me this. She used a washer but line dried everything (hanged all her clothes outside on a line to dry). Ammonia can be used in EVERY load of clothes...as it doesn't fade or compromise clothing like bleach can. It doesn't irritate skin after clothing is wash and dryed (It can if left directly on skin, just like bleach). Great for oil and tar stains (I know I work in a filfthy auto plant). For oil or tar-rub some Goo Gone & Tide on spot then pour/squirt a little ammonia on it, through it in washer with detergent and half cup more ammonia, wash in warm or hot water...works every time like a charm. EXPLAINATION...Goo Gone lifts up the grease/grime, Ammonia breaks it up and Tide washes it away!

Ammonia is fine for all darks, bright, & whites (but not if using chlorine bleach...NEVER mix the two!!! DEADLY!

*For mopping the floor...to remove wax build up. DON'T use on wood floor!
*Can even use it in steam carpet cleaners!
*Wash windows, glass tables, and mirrors!
**ONCE DRY IT LEAVES BEHIND NO ODOR AND LEAVES EVERYTHING FRESH!!

DO NOT INHALE
DO NOT MIX WITH BLEACH
WEAR GLOVES IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER
DO NOT MIX WITH BLEACH...DON'T EVEN STORE WITH BLEACH!!!

ENJOY A CLEAN HOME

o
RE: Ammonia, nature's helper

I mix a powdered detergent with equal amounts of baking soda. To about 1/3 C of this I add about 3/4 cup of sudsy ammonia and have great results. I usually stop the washer to let things soak for half an hour and then fill the tub with cold water and use a short wash which I think help preserve fabric (but I am still using the old top fill washer). I resent all the plastic packaging with the new detergents but then again, ammonia comes in plastic bottles.

There is no after smell of ammonia. I use sudsy ammonia alone to wash my carpets and then I rinse with vinegar. My carpets are a lot cleaner this way and the house smells so fresh once it has been aired out.

I would also like to point out that ammonia is a natural substance. Our stomaches make it and it has something to do with the production of urea, a natural body product with many health benefits - skin, soft feet, women�s makeup products.. At times I have even smelled ammonia when I took my shoes and socks off. (We have seen Chinese and Germans recipes that use cooking ammonia in them and though I have never cooked this way, I have eaten such pastries and breads.)

Bleach is not natural. It is deadly to the heart and possibly very much so to some heart valve, so I remember reading. I have also read that ammonia keeps the drains clean from scum.

Ammonia, baking soda and vinegar are the only cleaning agents we use in the house. We use epsom salts as our hands and body soap and, bathroom sinks and drains are never full of soap scum. Magnesium, unlike the drying of sodium in baking soda, is hydrating. Hand and body washing with nature�s wash cloths, the hands alone, have helped relieve allergies and dry skin. Dead skin on the body needs to be kept hydrated and magnesium assists this. Rubbing with a cloth tears this protective layer off and wrinkles are the long term result.

And here is another strange idea, we keep goji berries in the clothes closet and what a great smell when opening the door.

If you have soft water, all the better.

o

Ammonia works great. Bleach works great for some things. NEVER EVER EVER Mix the two. It makes a dangerous, poisonous gas. I have known people with permanent scarring on their lungs as a result.

o

ammonia is sometimes a component of sweat. why in the world would you use it on your clothes? When I'd work out at the gym years ago I had such a strong ammonia smell that it freaked me out. Ergo, I've googled the issue to see if others had that happen to them, which they had.

In any event, I'm not about to deliberately introduce ammonia into my clothing. No thanks. There are far better choices.

o

Lol, never mind the generations of homemakers that have successfully achieved great results with this versatile, inexpensive, deodorising cleaner. That's also quite gentle- can be used on woollens. Can't say that about many cleaners.

o

aamassther, ever heard of Woolite???

o

Yep, use Woolite for delicate washes. Like the Dark version best. Add a 1/2 ammonia/ normal dose of Woolite to the wash water and wool blankets wash clean, soft and sweet smelling. No need for fabric softener.

o

the dark version is pretty much all we use now. i think the bottle of the regular woolite will likely dry up in the bottle before we use it all. LOL!

o

Ammonia cuts grease and wax-clean your floors, sinks, hairbrush and comb, the grease spattered underside of your kitchen hood fan, and properly diluted your woollens and regular laundry-the bottle should have correct amounts to use. Once it has evaporated or your laundry is dry there is no lingering ammonia smell, use gloves if cleaning with a cloth or sponge-you don't need to degrease your skin!

o

who the heck wants to smell ammonia coming from the washer? washers don't sit outside in the yard--they are inside of homes or in garages. no thanks. ammonia smell is unpleasant to me.

o

Especially for Dave1812. The very fact that there is ammonia in sweat and urine is why you want to use it. Using a solvent that is the same as the carrier for the stain is the best way to rid yourself of it. By putting the fabric with the stain back into the ammonia and water that it was in when it was deposited gives the molecules that make the stain a natural habitat. IF you put some mechanical action to the stained fabric like agitating, and sometimes without it, the stain molecules leave the fabric and happily go back to the ammonia and water solution they were in when they were deposited on your clothes. Once the molecules are floating in the ammonia and water solvent, wash them away with lots of water and voila, you are left with cleaner fabric. It's not the ammonia that stains your clothes. It's the people parts that are carried by ammonia and left on your collar or wherever, that causes they stain. So, if you recreate the wetness with the staining people parts, you can rinse them away. It does work, I do it all the time. I sweat a ton and I stain my collars. Every few months, I soak the collar in a solution of ammonia, water and detergent, scrub them a little and then rinse. The water it soaks in turns from clear to the color of stain and the clothes are clean.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here