Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happs_gw

Buy New Speed Queen or Keep Old Amana

happs
9 years ago

I have a 19 year old Amana top load washing machine made by Raytheon that performs well, despite twice the time (40 minutes) to do a large load of laundry compared to a 1990's Maytag and slow water fill even with new washing machine hones and unclogged hose filters. I read somewhere that in 2015 new washing machine regulations will affect Speed Queen and that if you want to buy a new "old fashioned" good performing top loading washing machine like the Speed Queen, do it before Jan 1, 2015.

Mind you, my 19 year old Amana works well, so I don't need a new washing machine, but since I plan to be in the house I am in for another 10 years, I'm wondering if it's wise to spend $800 now on a Speed Queen for peace of mind or when/if my Amana fails, would I be able to repair it for a reasonable or find another used 1990s washing machine? Are the 2014 Speed Queens any better than 19 year old Raytheon Amanas?

Here is a link to my present Amana.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2yk05ty&s=8#.VIEIVxzKy9N

Comments (6)

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Your 19 year old Amana is pretty much the exact same machine as a 2014 Speed Queen. Of course there have been engineering revisions since that time, but overall they're very similar. I see no reason to replace if it works and you're happy with its performance. Speed Queen has confirmed they will be continuing to make mechanical control top loaders in 2015 in addition to their top of the line digital model, and they will be adding a new Eco cycle that uses a spray rinse instead of a full fill rinse to save water. Use of that cycle however is completely optional and all the cycles on today's Speed Queens will still be there.

This post was edited by hvtech42 on Thu, Dec 4, 14 at 22:09

• jdoenumber2
    9 years ago

Is this confirmed they are going to stay mechanical? If so hats great news. My only observation is that I wish speed queen would use a 2 stage agitator. But it's close to perfect one can get.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

There will definitely still be timer models available, the electronic model will just be available in addition to that. They are revamping their front loaders too (100% electronic of course). Still no heater though, grr. The electronics they will be using are the same as what they have been putting in their commercial versions, they are already proven in the field and should be superior to most home appliance electronics as durability goes.

• laundryvet
    9 years ago

In regards to older SQ and Amana TLW,

About 1992/1994 SQ/Amana introduced a larger tub capacity and 120 and 150 G spin speeds (was 100G previously). 150G spin speed (711 rpm) wrings out quite a bit more water than the old 560-580 rpm models of 1980s vintage. Your dry time would shorten quite a bit.

About 1994/1997 SQ/Amana brought an improved balance system that included both a pivoting and translating pivot system, which was the best in the industry for out of balance performance and still may be.

1997 Amana brand sold to Goodman Manufacturing; SQ no longer available in US from a retailer, still sold commercially (laundries/apartments, etc).

Up to about 1999 or 2000, all Amana were made by Ripon SQ factory for Goodman company owned Amana brand. After that, Amana made their own in Searcy, AR for a time until acquired by Maytag.

Sometime later (2004?), SQ re-entered the market and they all became 150G models at that time.

So owners of 22+ yrs old machines would definitely notice a big improvement in performance in balancing and dryness after spin. Owners of 20 year old machines would notice solid improvements in out of balance performance.

Amanas made after 1999ish made in a whole new factory with with different parts. Not sure if that plant is still open, I think it closed with the Whirlpool acquisition of Maytag many years ago. No idea on how these did.

The SQ discussed here nowadays dates to the equipment made since 2004 roughly.

The SQ dryer is not mentioned in this thread, but a much larger and faster drying model came out in about 1994/1997 further refined in 2004 when SQ came back into home retail. The old machine was about 6.5 cu ft, the newer is over 7.0 cu ft. So replacing the dryer might make sense for larger capacity and faster drying times.

New stuff is always nice. As far as I know, color is anything you want as long as it is white, so if you have beige or bisque, be aware you are looking at a color change. Haven't looked in awhile, maybe they sell other colors now.

Good luck in your decision.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>About 1992/1994 SQ/Amana introduced a larger tub capacity and 120 and 150 G spin speeds (was 100G previously). 150G spin speed (711 rpm) wrings out quite a bit more water than the old 560-580 rpm models of 1980s vintage. Your dry time would shorten quite a bit.

But wouldn't the OP's machine, being 19 years old, have the improved spin and capacity?

• nerdyshopper
    9 years ago

A while back I saw an Amana washer in a local discount store. It had a dirt cheap price and looked identical to old Whirlpools from the 1990's except for water temperature options. (all cold rinse). They must be made by Whirlpool now.