Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rault85

Anyone still using Vaska?

Rault85
9 years ago

I know Vaska was really popular with users here for a while but is anyone still using it? I bought some a while back and used it twice but stopped because it was soooo sudsy. I tried it again today thinking maybe I was just doing something "wrong"... I washed a load of 2 king sheet sets, a king duvet cover, a full blanket, 7 towels and probably a dozen socks. I did a quick wash with no detergent before, to make sure there wasn't any detergent leftover and there wasn't. For this test, I used "hot" on the normal cycle which is really just luke warm. I added no STPP or any other additives and used ONE tablespoon of Vaska and I had a mountain of suds! I ended up doing a total of 9 rinses and 2 quickwash cycles to get rid of all the suds. I have very hard water and the load filled my 5 cu. ft. machine. I really like the way this stuff smells and would like to continue using it... any ideas why I cant seem to make this stuff work for me?

Comments (11)

• sandy1616
    9 years ago

I use Vaska for sheets and blankets. I have an Asko and use about a tbsp per load. There are alot of suds i the wash but they are gone by final rinse. I have softened water and everything produces a ton of suds in hot water.

• Rault85
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wouldn't mind the suds in the wash so much if they were gone by the final rinse. On my machine, there are 2 rinses and I can add up to 3 extra and even with those 3 extra, I still have lots of suds. Just for comparisons sake, I did a similar load and added waaaay too much Tide liquid, all the way to the brim of the cap and used the sanitize cycle. It was fairly sudsy but all suds were gone and the final rinse was clear and I didn't have to add any extra.

• recordaras
    9 years ago

I got some crazy suds with Vaska when I tried to use it on towels, and after that I've been using it only for wool/delicates (less agitation, so less sudsing). I've found that it doesn't really do a good job on even the lightest stains, unfortunately, so I can't really use it on regular laundry. Such a shame, since it smells so lovely!

This post was edited by recordaras on Thu, Dec 11, 14 at 18:56

• Don
    9 years ago

I found Vaska to be the worst performing detergent on stains that I have ever used. I did like the little bottle, and using a non-typical detergent.

Tide with (oxy) bleach is the best detergent for stains I have ever used. Including many other brands labeled with added Oxy. I would much rather order some exotic detergent from Sweden than use a common P & G product, but what works works.

I can also be sure that Tide is made to work well with commonly purchased machines using typical water.

You're using the Vaska measure, right? If not you are using 4x too much.

• Rault85
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@recordaras, I do love the smell, but the hassle just isn't worth it :-(

@dondd, I find its performance lacking as well. I thought I'd experiment one more time before giving up and tossing it.

I held off on washing bath towels until they were all dirty. I split them into two loads of 10 towels each. None of them were used for more than just drying off once. In the first load, I used one tablespoon (normal, hot) and suds were covering over half the door and it took a ridiculous amount of rinses to get it all out. The next load (normal, hot) I used 1.5 teaspoons and the suds covered about the bottom 1/4 of the glass. It only took a total of 5 rinses to get everything out but when I checked the towels, some of them still smelled like my husbands body wash. So I finally give up! If it cleaned well, I would just work with it but since it doesn't, for me, then out it goes.

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

I suspect you can't really expect top performance from a detergent you can actually drink... Reading these posts, I'm glad I didn't get Vaska the last time I was in the US.

By the way ->

Here is a link that might be useful: Vaska One Pods (

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

Vaska is 4x concentrated. It says ok for HE front loaders but it's not designed for low suds. With my soft water suds filled the machine.

I found it more like mild dish soap. Fine for lingerie and the fragrance was nice. But there are liquids with far better performance and no downside.

• Rault85
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@whirlpool... who in the world is drinking Vaska?

• herring_maven
    9 years ago

dondd: "I found Vaska to be the worst performing detergent on stains that I have ever used. I did like the little bottle, and using a non-typical detergent."

Best practice: use detergents for cleaning; use bleach for bleaching; use stain-removers for removing stains. As with most jobs around the house, you will get the best results if you employ the specialized tools designed for the specific job.

"Tide with (oxy) bleach is the best detergent for stains I have ever used. Including many other brands labeled with added Oxy. I would much rather order some exotic detergent from Sweden than use a common P & G product, but what works works."

Vaska is not Swedish; it is a product of the United States, specifically, Berkeley, California. If you use Tide with Oxy bleach for every wash, then you are bleaching the colored items that you wash with it; if you need concentrated bleaching, then rather than the small amount of sodium percarbonate -- the active ingredient in all oxygen bleaches -- in a multi-purpose detergent like Tide with Oxy, add the real stuff (100% sodium percarbonate, which can be purchased in bulk -- say, ten pounds -- inexpensively), or even chlorine bleach, to only the loads that need bleaching; you will get enhanced bleaching performance. Different stains call for different stain removers, and the most effective stain removers usually work best with localized topical applications.

To answer the OP's question, we use Vaska, with a scoop of borax in each load, and supplementing with the specialized tools listed above as appropriate, and we really like it.

• whirlpool_trainee
    9 years ago

@whirlpool... who in the world is drinking Vaska?

The company's CEO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vaska CEO Takes a Shot of Detergent

• Rault85
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@whirlpool:
    Ew. I guess thats one way to demonstrate how gentle a detergent is....