Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happs_gw

Buy New Dryer or Keep Old?

happs
9 years ago

I have a 19 year old Amana gas dryer that works fine but clothes come out very hot and wrinkled on the normal setting and never get dry on the low setting so not really a happy medium. On Black Friday, I saw a new basic $250 Roper electric dryer RED4640YQ with a wrinkle or dryness sensor. It also comes in a gas model and was wondering if either the gas or electric version would be an improvement in quality/performance compared to my Amana (built by Raytheon) of 19 years ago?

Secondly, I have both gas and electric connection in my laundry room and I was wondering if electric would be cheaper than gas because I am on an electric rate plan where weekend and nights are about 5 cents a kilowatt hour, which is when I do laundry. Gas therm rates are $1.32. When I typed in four 30 minute loads per week on this website, electric seems cheaper.

michaelbluejay.com/electricity/dr...

I read that there are new energy efficiency guidelines coming out for dryers in 2015. Does this translate to new dryers not performing as well as old ones and prices increasing?

Should I keep my 19 year old Amana gas dryer, or buy a new basic $250 Roper electric or $330 in gas version before the new energy efficiency standards take effect.

Here is a link to a picture of my current 19 year old dryer. If you're familiar with this model/series and have any comments, let me know.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30bh9b6&s=8#.VIEGWxzKy9N

Comment (1)