Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lefitz

speed queen washer

lefitz
18 years ago

Are Speed Queen washers and dryers good-- do they clean/dry well and are they reliable?

Comments (12)

• peterh770
    18 years ago

Yes.

• varenovator
    18 years ago

Could you elaborate, Peter? There don't seem to be many real-world experiences out there.

• sqfan
    18 years ago

I have had the ATS90 washer and the AES68 dryer since March of this year and am very impressed. They are made very well although are quite simple machines. The washer does a fine job cleaning for me, however does not have a true profile wash. I do sort my laundry and pretreat stains that may not come out otherwise and have had no problems. The capacities on both washer and dryer are quite large.

I chose the set because of it's quality and construction and am looking forward to having the set for a long time.

• ekk6pa
    18 years ago

I bought a CES90 and CES68 in June and I love them. They're very simple machines and they don't do a lot of fancy tricks, but they do a very nice job cleaning compared to my old top loader washer.

Like sqfan, I also picked the set because of the design simplicity and quality. My last washer was junk and went to the recycler at five years of age.

• mrb627
    17 years ago

I was reading through the owner's manual and came across something odd. I have linked the manual below. On page 12, there is a section titled "Manual Soak" at the top of the page. The caution note is what I find interesting.

Is this possible? Could this really happen?

MRB

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen Owner's Manual

• dadoes
    17 years ago

Not unless the machine is timed-fill, which is VERY unlikely, or has an unusual water level control system that can't sense when there's already water in the tub. There haven't been any time-filled toploaders on the market for 30+ years.

• asolo
    17 years ago

I got a kick out of their idea of Cold/Warm/Hot temps on page 8. Even their own machines differ about what they consider Warm and Hot. "Hot" is either 100 or 120F. "Warm" is either 80 or 100F. Both depending on incoming water temp. according to that page. Don't know what means exactly but I don't care for this kind of mushy description.

• dadoes
    17 years ago

asolo,

The water temperature descriptions are perfectly logical.

Hot at 120°F and Warm at 100°F are average/typical household temperatures based on a water heater set at ~120°F. Hot is tap-hot, straight out of the water heater. Warm is an approximate half-half mix of tap-hot and tap-cold.

Hot at 102°F and Warm at 80°F would likely be EnergyStar-labeled machines that have ATC (auto temperature control) which controls the water valve to mix hot and cold to those specific targets ... assuming the household water heater is again set at 120°F (or at least higher than 102°F).

• mrb627
    17 years ago

I just read this on their website as well. Only one model washer has dumbed down water temperatures aka Energy Star Rated. How cool is that?

MRB

• sunnyco
    16 years ago

I called the speedqueen distributer near me to ask for a price range for TL's. The range is from 500-650. The price difference is from cycles and motor speeds. I don't know more than that.

How would buying the least expensive speed queen washer compare with buying the whirlpool wtw5300 for 319+tax? The speed queen at 500 would be a huge splurge for me, but if it does a better job washing, and lasts, it would be worth cutting corners in other areas of my life.

What would you do, given the choice?

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Hi Sunny! Come on in, we don't bite (much).

I don't know the Whirlpools very well but the Speed Queens have an excellent reputation for reliability and ruggedness as sqfan mentions. I was almost going to get a front loader for myself but decided that the wash times were too short. But you are looking at a top loader so you are OK. Have you done a compare and contrast of the features - cycles, temps, speeds, etc.? Do the doors open the direction they should for your dryer set up, if you care? I'm pretty sure most (even us rabid FL laundyholics) would agree here that all TLs do an adequate job cleaning and would meet your needs, so it comes down to features and reliability.

Unless someone else chimes in about the Whirlpool I would also look at the warranty AND future availability of service companies that can come to your home should a unit need work as make or break factors.

• peigofireland
    13 years ago

I am interested in the AFN50F. Why pick this over the Samsung 419AAW?