Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Combo Washer Dryer Questions

Posted by pderas (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 29, 10 at 19:36

I'm a kitchen and bath designer researching combo washer dryer units for a client with a small kitchen who wants to incorporate a washer and dryer.

Looking for anyone with any personal experience with a washer/dryer combo all-in one appliance.

How does it perform?

After some research I have learned that virtually ALL of these appliances are washer-condensing dryers WITHOUT a heating element.

That means they dry by running on ambient air temperature for about six (6) hours after the wash cycles complete.

I got this information from a kindly customer service guy at LG (thanks). He promised to take my request for a vented model to the "powers that be".

This will work fine for those people who want to load up the machine and head off to work, coming home to find their clothing done and ready to be put away (maybe a bit wrinkled from sitting for a while).

For those concerned about leaving a water-using appliance running while they are away, this is not workable, unless they wait until the wash cycle is done to leave.

For those who will be bothered by their washer dryer running for seven (7) hours while they are at home, this will also not work.

For those who understand the drawbacks to gain the space, it could work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Combo Washer Dryer Questions

I used a combo washer/dryer in London this summer...it was small, but did a great job....wondered why we don't hve more in the US...Even not using the dryer and hanging the wash, it was virtually dry when I took the wash out of the machine.

o

Thank you!

If the only possible irritants are the time it takes, and the fact that clothes are almost dry, not totally dry, then I will buy this combination one day. I would like coming home to clothes that can be ironed while still humid, and or be brought out to dry fully indoors without creating a swamp atmosphere.

The rest of the world manages with it. My guess is that since it works well for markets that have about a 1,000,000,000 people (give or take) it will work here too.

In any case, I always trust my hoses and conduits, and leave the W or D running without supervision, already, without fear.

o

I think the rep on the phone might have been a little drunk that day. 6 hours? Our LG WM3455HS takes 3.5 hours, start to finish, and I overload that sucker every time. If it took 6 hours I would throw it out the window. And they don't come out damp, wet, humid, etc. They are dry. They come out so hot I often drop them on the floor, especially if I touch a zipper by accident. Just like a normal dryer. We've used it for about 3 months now and have been completely satisfied with its performance.

I put up a more in-depth review on AJ Madison's website for this product, but overall, we have been pleased as could be and have saved a bundle of space by installing an all-in-one.

LG WM3455HS Combo washer/dryer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here