Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taliaferro_gw

Need washer recommendations for a 2nd fl laundry room

taliaferro
15 years ago

Hello. My Maytag washer just died. It gave me ten good years, so time to get a new one. I kind of knew it was on it's way out because I had an odd incident occur, so I started researching this forum a couple of months ago, but I kind of got sidetracked by other things and now I don't have the luxury of shopping around. However, even after my research, I'm still not sure which one to get.

I've had positive experiences with Miele & Bosche dishwashers, but both only offer front loaders and I'm concerned about vibration issues as this would be a second floor installation.

I've read some positive reviews about the Samsung VRT as a good 2nd floor front loader, but I'm woried about the aquatic environmental issues associated with their silver ion technology, and I prefer to purchase brands with a solid history of producing a particular appliance. I associate Samsungs with home theater equipment, not washing machines.

Any guidance, advice or suggestions you care to share would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• plumbly22
    15 years ago

This is, in my personal opinion, very much a case by case trial and error situation... I personally have a bosch 500 series set on my second floor above, with a full basement below the first floor... and have negligible vibration problems... I rarely know the machine is running and when I do it's more from listening to the water flow in or out through my piping than the washer itself...

How well contsructed is your house??? Do you plan to double check to insure that the machine is installed correctly from a load level and balance perspective (level on sides and top, front the back and corners to corners, close to equal weight/pressure on all 4 feet?) If you do these things and you believe your house is soundly built I personally don't think you should have a problem with whatever machine you pick... that said I'd make sure you know the return/swap out policy at where ever you purchase from before purchasing...

Find what you like from ad feature and functionality perspective and go from there... I know people here have had problems with the bosch machines with vibration, yet I personally don't... I believe you can find similar situations for most every machine out there on this site...

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I'd decided on a F&P top loader for the laundry room in my in-process house. The laundry will be off the master bedroom and on the first floor with a walk-out basement below. So I was as concerned about vibration as you are. My understanding was that the F&P used less water than a conventional TL but more than a FL. I was wrong on that -- it's comparable to a regular TL.

As it turns out, our well doesn't produce as much water as we'd hoped. Eventually we'll bring in city water to supplement, but for the time being, we'll live as if we're in a drought. So suddenly my washer decision was revisited. We've been impressed with a salesman at Lowe's who has sold appliances for many years. He has no reason to push one line over another. He's had a Bosch for 18 years and loves it, but if he had to replace it today, he'd get the Samsung -- partly an allergy issue. He considers the Samsung its equal in every way, and superior in the SilverCare feature. He did a demo on their VRT -- vibration reduction technology -- that was extremely impressive.

It's my understanding that you must select SilverCare for each load you want to use it for. Therefore, if you're concerned about the "green" of it, you could simply ignore it.

But regarding the vibration issue, we really were impressed by the vibration demonstration. You might check at your Lowe's to see if they have it set up. I watched some others on Youtube -- looks legit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Samsung on SilverCare & Vibration

• mara_2008
    15 years ago

If you're interested in an HE TL, I highly recommend the Maytag Bravos. It is so stable, it would be great on a 2nd floor.

• washer_man
    15 years ago

The Samsung VRT is pretty good for vibration, but I think the Bravos is better though because it's a top loader, and it has similar vibration reducing technology as the Samsung. Same with the F&P.

• taliaferro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

::Sigh:: Well, I've spent the last two days reading this forum as well as every entry on the world of washers blog (awesome resource) and epinions and have narrowed it down to the Samsung VRT front loader or the Fisher Paykel Intuition top loader (with agitatior). I believe that these two units are the best choice for a second floor laundry room, where exceesive vibration is a concern. I also learned quite a bit about proper laundering habits in the process (I will be revising my future temperature selections, detergent, and use of additives - in a nutshell: avoid cold water washing, liquid detergent and liquid fabric softener:)

I'll go have a look see tomorrow and hopefully place my order.

Thanks loads;) (hahaha)

• taliaferro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I went to Lowes as they had both the Samsung VRT & Fisher Paykel on the floor. I was very turned off by the aesthetics of the Fisher Paykel, in particular the lid, which looks like Rubbermaid plastic. I know it's an excellent toploader, but I spend a lot of time in that laundry room and we made it pretty spiffy, and I just couldn't get past the looks of the Fisher Paykel.

So I ordered the 4.0 c.f. Samsung VRT (338) steam washer & (matching) dryer in blue silver from LOWES (they are the only Samsung retailer in my area). They deducted 10%, gave me a $50 off coupon card, and I get a rebate on the $79 delivery & take away fee. They added on the cost for a dryer cord and I purchased the 4 year extended warranty for $160. I was very impressed with the sales associate - a straigtforward guy that really knew his products.

Grand Total: $2,449.30.

They deliver on Friday. I'm praying for no collateral damage when they take out the old and bring in the new because we just had our walls treated by a decorative painter and the rugs on the stairs leading to the 2nd floor are a very light wool wall to wall carpet. Any advice to prepare the space would be appreciated!

I will report back:)

• arleneb
    15 years ago

I can't wait to reap the benefit of your experience!! I hope you love it. I'm trying to decide between the steam and non-steam model.

I, too, didn't like the plastic lid of the F&P but what really led me away was the water usage. We just won't have extra water for the first few years, so the FL was just the best choice.

BTW, the Silver Care technology is supposed kill bacteria as well as all the other little pollen and mite ickies without using hot water. Somewhere I saw a short video of a test where they had athletes wear (and sweat in) tee shirts all day, then washed half conventionally in hot water and bleach, and half in a SilverCare machine. They then sealed the shirts in zip bags and left them in a hot car over the weekend. Sniff test by NBC reporters: definitely high and nasty odor in the conventionally laundered ones and no odor in the SilverCare. So you may be able to continue using cold water. . . that's Samsung's claim, at least.

• bigideaslittlefunds
    15 years ago

pardon my question but how is using the silvercare feature not green?

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Bigideas: The OP had said "I'm woried about the aquatic environmental issues associated with their silver ion technology" -- I was just commenting that she could bypass the silver ion technology and still have the benefit of the VRT.

• taliaferro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG! I'm so happy to have a working washer/dryer!!! Lowe's delivered a week ago and I'm still trying to catch up on my deferred laundry piles. LOL

I said I would report back after my Samsungs were delivered.

After only a week, I have to say that I am loving my SAMSUNG set. My laundry room is on the second floor and I was very worried about vibration issues. Verdict-the washer hasn't moved an inch. We didn't even have to fuss with the leveling much during the installation. I feel confident saying that this machine is an excellent choice for a second floor front loader. My loads thus far have been pretty typical - no bath mats or blankets which might be a bit more challenging. I'll have to report back on those later.

My clothes seem cleaner and because they come out of the washer pretty well wrung out, the drying cycles take less time than the washing cycles.

The machines are really a pleasure to operate. They are so attractive and I really like the chimes, etc... It just feels like such an upgrade from my basic white Maytag top loader set.

On a side note: I purchased FloodChek hoses (which are supposed to be superior to the steel braided ones) and one of the hoses leaked!! I was very disappointed! I had to run out to Lowes and buy one of the steel braided hoses until I can get a replacement for the flawed FloodChek.

• nikka_2009
    15 years ago

HI Taliaferro

I am also looking ofr a low vibration macine for our second floor laundry room.

I have a question did you also purchase the pedestrals? or did you just put the machines without?

I heard that pedestrals can enhance vibrations but since the Samsung have VRt I don't know that this is true?

Thanks

• taliaferro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nikka,

I did NOT purchase the pedestals as I was concerned that they might further impact any vibration issues. Downside is that since the units are not elevated, you'll have to squat down or bend over to load, transfer and unload your laundry. However, I'm young (kinda) and limber, so I don't mind.

You can always add them later, if you opt not to purchase them, but then change your mind.

P.S. I'm still loving these machines. I used the Steam in the dryer for the first time. My dried laundry sat in the dryer overnight and it was quite wrinkled come morning. I used the Refresh cycle (which is a steam cycle) and the clothing was wrinkle-free. That was nice! In the past, I would have rewashed and dried the entire load or iron everything.

• dallasbill
    15 years ago

hostagrams... Do not, by any stretch of the imagination, ever think that a Lowe's sales associate has nothing to gain (or lose) by pushing one brand over another. They have everything to gain, and it's called spliffs (brand-specific sales incentives) and commissions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Retail-Worker.com - Lowe's vs Sears Sales

• arleneb
    15 years ago

dallasbill . . . thanks for that link. Eye-opener!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

Nikka, if you are still watching, we have an LG set on pedestals and once properly leveled, you can hardly tell they are running even when spinning. I think you can have pedestals on a second floor - just make sure they are properly installed and leveled.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

Depends on the floor & house construction.