Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Lint buildup beneath access area in Speed Queen dryer...

threeapples
10 years ago

The lint catcher in my speed queen dryer is made of mesh. There is an area beneath it where lint is collecting, but unless I remove the bolts holding this mesh part in place I can't clean that. My clothes are full of lint and I suspect this is why. Any ideas on what to do?

Comments (15)

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wipe my lint out first, too.

So what might be causing my problem then?

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Does the lint cover all loads or just some? Some fabrics tend to shed lint while others collect it - mixing these fabrics in one load can cause problems. Does your dryer dry as fast as it used to? Maybe the vent is starting to clog and the suction isn't as strong as it used to be so lint isn't sucked from the load as good as before. Finally, is the area surrounding the dryer clean? Dust etc. around the dryer will be sucked into the unit during the cycle - although the heater or gas flame should get rid of most of that.

Alex

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This was installed in May and has been performing optimally ever since. The area around it is clean. For example, my son's pillow pet will come out if the dryer wiry fuzzies and his hair on it, which should not be clinging to freshly laundered items. I do wash like materials together.

• beaglenc
    10 years ago

I have the SQ 542 and matching gas dryer since April and I have no problems with it even mixing different fabrics. Have tried or do you use fabric softener? Maybe even some white vinegar in the final rinse would help.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I do not use fabric softener. I'll try white vinegar, thanks.
    Do you also have lint beneath the lint catcher?

• dadoes
    10 years ago

All dryers get some lint accumulation "in the system." The filter is not intended to catch 100% of the lint, it would clog very quickly if it did. Whether the user sees the accumulation depends on the design of the filter assembly.

The airflow direction is over the clothes and into the filter as was said above, so lint beneath the filter isn't going to get on the clothes.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So how do I figure out why I'm getting all the lint?

• dadoes
    10 years ago

The filter in the dryer really isn't to keep lint off the clothes, it's to reduce lint accumulation in the machine's blower components and in the exhaust ducting, from blowing into the homeowner's yard at the outlet.

If the filter wasn't there, any lint (which is fabric abraded off the clothes) would be pulled out of the drum and tumbling load with the airflow same as it is now.

What causes lint? Anything that results in excess fabric abrasion ... overdrying, overloading, using too-aggressive of a washer cycle. Fabric softener can perhaps help being as it's a lubricant for the fabric fibers.

• Brenda Doherty
    7 years ago

I would like to remove the lint screen on my SQ dryer but the bolt holding the mesh screen in place has a round headed bolt and my husband and I how are not very handy have no clue as to what tool we need to loosen the bolt. I would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!

• dadoes
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Picture of it ... ?

• laundryvet
    7 years ago

Jumpsforjoy,

i see a 5/16 external hex washer screw on my SQ at that location. For a "round headed screw", other common potential drivers are Phillips cross recess (Type 1 recess) or Pozi-drive (Type 2) cross recess. Yet another is 6-lobe internal recess that somewhat resembles a 6-pointed star except for round corners, commonly referred to as Torx, the brand name of the original version in the 1970s by a company called Camcar Textron. If torx, most likely a T20 recess (button head) or a T25 recess (pan head). A hardware store can likely hook you up with the right tool.

Laundryvet

• MizLizzie
    7 years ago

My husband and I are near-incompetent, but we managed to unbolt ours and run the vac hose down in it. Doing so is well worth the time. There IS a problem with the SQ drier collecting lint in that area. For some reason, a huge amount gets past it, far, far more than with our antiquated Kenmore. We have a secondary FanTech lint filter accessible behind the dryer, and have to clean it after every third or fourth load. I am so thankful we put that access in when the dryer was installed. We have the front-load SQ stack, and there is no pulling that pair out to clean behind. As to what we used on the bolt, we cannot recall. We just went through the toolbox until something fit.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

5/16 socket works on mine..yes lots of lint builds up under that screwed in screen.

• Michelle Mccann
    6 years ago

I took the screw out. The filter is held in place when the door is closed just make sure you put the tab on the left back under.