Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bppark

New washer, new hammer!

bppark
10 years ago

We replaced our old Kenmore washer with a new Kenmore washer and also had the plumber come and install new valves and a new laundry tub & faucet. Now we have hammer. I'm guessing the new high-efficiency washer has more aggressive solenoids or something because when it fills, stops, fills, stops, etc., it bangs like crazy. The copper pipes feeding the appliance are strapped down pretty tight and they don't seem to be moving, but the hoses (braided metal) are dancing around like crazy when this happens and, of course, the noise is annoying. What's the best approach here?

Comments (5)

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

"Water hammer arrestors" will stop the noise in the pipes. If it's just the hoeses dancing and knocking around, I'd simply attach them to the washer - use some duct tape or similar.

Alex

• dave1812
    10 years ago

check your water pressure. if it's over 100 lbs, adjust the regulator to about 90# and if you don't have a regulator, BUY ONE!

• dave1812
    10 years ago

oh, and what the "trainee" suggested, but high water pressure can cause issues with appliances so start there and install the anti-hammer device if high pressure isn't the issue.

• housefairy
    10 years ago

I didn't have the hoses dancing around but had the "clunk" noise. I also have arresters soldered on my pipes, and they weren't helping the washer.

Go down to your plumbing supply store and get ones that attach to the washing machine spigot. Actually I have the the water hammer arrestors and then the water leak hose detectors attached to mine. Stopped the problem.

Google "Sioux Chief 660-H 3/4in Female Swivel Hose Thread X 3/4in Male Hose Thread Mini Rest" to see what I am talking about.

• bppark
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all. Sioux Chief looks like a simple enough solution. (Isn't it interesting that Amazon packages them with a pressure meter?)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio