Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ak_titan

Returning Bosch Nexxt

ak-titan
17 years ago

I am returning a Bosch Nexxt 500 washer. The washer works fine, and I really like how well it cleans, low water usage, but it vibrates my floor. I have spend many hours leveling and even bought vibration pads, but it still happens. It's not really bad, but I don't think it's good for the tile floor, and may cause cracking as time goes on. My floor is over a crawl space - it's wood joist, with OSB wood, and then 1.5 inches of Gypcrete (radiant heat), with tile on top. My question is what top loader would you recommend to replace it, I've considered whirlpool cabrio - the one with agitator, or fisher paykel, but am open to other suggestions. Thanks for your help!

Comments (14)

• sshrivastava
    17 years ago

I'm surprised that a properly leveled machine will cause vibration issues -- that doesn't seem to make sense.

If you could do with a smaller capacity, Asko and Miele units both have excellent hydraulic suspensions that the other machines lack.

• lei1234
    17 years ago

I bought F&P today to replace my 3.5 years old Kenmore HE3. I made this decision after I read lots of post here. The delivery will be the coming week. I can't wait to see how it washes cloth.

• benbow
    17 years ago

ak-titan,

We have tile over 1 inch thick plywood & joist floor construction in our laundry room, (no 1.5 inch Gypcrete layer), and the vibration from our Bosch washer has not resulted in any damage to the tiles.

What some folks with vibration prone wood floors have done is to add an extra layer of plywood under the washer to dampen the vibrations being transmitted from the washer. They usually suggest a single layer of three quarter inch plywood. I think at least an inch thickness of plywood, or 1.5 inches like one uses on decking may be even better.

I would try cutting a sheet of 0.375" or 0.5" plywood into three 32" x 32" squares and glue them togther with construction adhesive. Make sure they glue up very flat by clamping or weighting the pieces. As additional "insurance" one could glue on waterproof rubber matting material to each surface. This panel will distribute the washer weight over several joists and eliminate mid joist floor bounce and noise.

Alternatively, one could reinforce the floor from below but that is a miserable job best left to professionals.

• jjam
    17 years ago

We LOVE the F&P. I wanted the Bosch, siemens, or He2t but just couldn't make them work in my space. I'm so happy they didn't fit because we are very happy with the F&P. They are great machines and they don't cause any vibration problems, even at a very high spin speed. We can run several loads a day with very little noise at all and have great looking clothes. This is one purchase that everyone is happy with.

• asolo
    17 years ago

If you've got a crawl-space under there, as you said, I suspect the solution may be simple and inexpensive. Just put a few (probably 4) screw-jacks under there to brace the joists immediately under the machine. You may be surpised at how much stability this brings the installation immediately above. May want to add some lumber between jacks and and joists. May want to add a solid concrete footer for each jack. The fix will be permanent.

• ak-titan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I like the Bosch, but I spent about $2K for the washer/dryer, and really don't like the idea of spending more money to pour concrete pads and jacks. I tried plywood, I took two 3/4 pieces of plywood and glued and screwed them together, then primed and painted. I made it big enough to go under the dryer also so they would both be the same height. This actually made the problem worse. One end of the plywood was about an 1/8 from the tile (slightly warped). The washer was not heavy enough to hold it down, so it caused more severe vibration. I then purchased anti-vibration pads made specifically for front loaders, they helped a little. So I've spent about $150.00 and have not made much of a difference. The vibration is not very bad, and the machine does not shake, but the floor in the near-by kitchen vibrates enough to make the dishes in the cabinets rattle. My concern is long term damage - weakened floor - more deflection? I may be paraniod and over thinking this, but Lowes has offered to take the units back and let pick out something else. So that's why I considering the F&P or Cabrio with or without agitator. I just don't know which one will use less water and be more reliable. Thanks again and happy holidays.

• asolo
    17 years ago

If it matters, you don't have to pour concrete. Just buy a cheap cast footer or brick at the hardware store -- just a pad for the jacks to rest on. Really pretty simple, but I understand if you'd prefer to move in another direction. Just thinking its kind of a shame to give up on machines you like otherwise, especially with no assurance any other machine will be any better. Good luck to you whatever you may do. And Merry Christmas!

• rosecmd
    17 years ago

Well, my Cabrio will be delivered tomorrow to replace two new leaking GE Harmony's - shame really as I love the way the Harmony gets the clothes so clean and it's quiet. Two brand new machines leaking for different reasons shreaks quality control issues to me, though. So, I'll give the Cabrio a chance. I love the TL's without agitators - they do a great job and can handle big loads. My previous washer was a Calyspo, and it lasted 4 years, had a few issues, but leaking was not one of them! I understand what you mean about spending a lot for something and then not having it work just right.

• wblynch
    17 years ago

Two thoughts...

1) you don't mention if you have the accessory pedestals but if so, they are known to exhibit more vibration from the washer.

2) did you ever try the reduced spin setting to see what difference it makes? The Bosch at reduced spin speed will still spin out the clothes better than a top loader.

• ak-titan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Asolo - sorry if it sounded like I was discounting your idea - i actually thought of some sort of structural bracing. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read that the weight load of a front loader is vertical thus transmitting more vibration in general than a top loader whose weight load is horizontal. Wblynch - I do not have the pedestals, but did not consider the reduced spin speed, I'm gonna try that right now! I'll let you know the outcome. Am I wrong to think a top loader would be better at reducing or eliminating vibration?. By the way we just moved in to a new house and our last house had the washer on a solid concrete floor in the basement so we had no vibrations. Thanks!

• mrsee
    17 years ago

I purchased my Siemens Washer and Dryer last summer no problems. A month Later I built my on pedestals using some 4x4 fence post cut to 12 inches and framed between the fence post with 2x4's then topped it off with some 1/2 inch plywood for stability. Believe you me I set my Washer and Dryer on them and levled them, I have not had any problems what so ever. I trimmed the front and sides of the stand out with the nice white shelving board. And it looks very nice Infact My washer has not moved from the spot where it is set back then. So to you who are having vibration issues you may want to try this. I was going to purchase some pedestals from Best buy but I deciced against that due to reading the problems that some were having with those pedestals. I wish I could post pics so you can see what I am talking about, plus they look very professional.

• asolo
    17 years ago

mrsee -- are your units and pedestals on a suspended floor? That appears to be the issue ak-titan is complaining about. Some suspended floors are prone to transmit and/or amplify vibrations more than others. Apparently ak-titan has one that does that. Your installation had no problems before your pedestals were added. ak-titan has problems already. Adding pedestals -- of any type -- to the mix would not likely offer a solution.

Either the source must be eliminated or the underlying structure fortified to resist it. It appears ak-titan's moving the direction of elimination via choosing another machine.

• dross
    17 years ago

ak-titan, any vibrational energy has to go somewhere, no matter whether the machine is vertical or horizontal. You see less on traditional TLs because they do not spin as fast, but on a TL spinning an out-of-balance load at high speeds you will see and hear the machine as it walks around the room. Even on slow-spinning TLs, an out-of-balance condition is usually pretty violent, and most TL owners have experienced this on occasion. An out-of-balance FL will instead 'pound' the floor, and depending on the floor this can certainly cause a problem with transmitted vibrations and noise. - DR

• ojaijohn
    17 years ago

mrsee--did you use any type of material in the center of your pedestals to dampen the sound? I'm also in the process of building some pedestals and I'm concerned about having a hollow space that might create a drum effect. I can get foam rubber from a local mattress store but I don't know if it's necessary.