Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicagobent

Ariston in the US--Good or Bad?

chicagobent
18 years ago

This Thursday, my new Ariston AWD121 combo washer dryer will be delivered. It cost $1,000 with sales tax, installation, delivery, removal of my old unit and a four year extended warranty provided directly by my local reliable store's service department (one of the larger and more reliable repair services in Chicagoland-ABT Electronics).

The machine appears to be very solidly built with quality door hinges and latch and a tight construction.

I am seeking comments by anyone who has any actual experience with any Ariston products in the US, particulary about reliability, parts availability, service delays, etc.

Does anyone who reads this board actually own an Ariston product in the US? What has been your experience?

Thanks.

Comments (47)

• spewey
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Good luck and please give us regular reports on your new purchase. Ariston is an Indesit brand, one of the Merloni companies, and their washers have not had the best reputation for durability, but the cartel is one of the world leaders in sales, and perhaps they have improved their quality control. Indesit is making a major push in North American with the Ariston line (named for Aristide Merloni, incidentally). They claim to have made great improvements, and the washers do have a strong feature set--extra rinse cycles, 160 degree heaters, cycles for special fabrics.

Is the AW121 a 5.5kg or 6kg machine? The current brochure only lists the AW120, AW122, and AWD120 models.

Folk in this forum might have steered you elsewhere, but we'll be interested in hearing how this machine performs and holds up. Some companies make real strides at improving products, and your new washer may prove a good value.

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the response Spewey. I did do my research and my analysis basically came down as follows: I need a new combo machine (space constraint, no venting), none of the models currently sold in the US are known for being overly reliable, the Ariston seemed very well constructed upon an actual examination of the product, the very reliable local independent appliance store swears they have had good results with the product (according to both the sales person who knows me by name from my past purchases, and also according to their service department), they offered an extended warranty, they are an authorized servicer (confirmed by Ariston), and basically this was also a very inexpensive machine ($798.00).

If all the combos sold in the US are bad, why not just buy the cheapest one and get the extended warranty? I guess I will find out if this is good logic or not.

The model I ordered is the AWD121 which is a 5.5k machine. I can live with the size of the drum, although bigger would have been better. The Ariston web site does not yet have the model listed. The retailer told me the AWD121 is replacing the AWD120.

Today, I spoke with an Ariston customer service rep. I waited less than 30 seconds to get a live person after pressing the correct extension. I asked her about the new model and what was different from the old model. She initially said the two machines were basically the same, but that the new model is built in a different factory (also in Italy and also owned by Indesit). I asked her if the drum was not smaller on the new model (as shown on the energy star web site) and she said it might be a little smaller but that it was basically the same machine. I asked if there were any problems with the old model because I might be able to get a floor model cheaper and it has a slightly bigger drum (6k). She then diplomatically informed me that there had been some problems with the computer control boards on the old model, that they were replacing the bad boards as needed and that the new model is built with the new boards which do not have the problem. She hinted that this was one of the reasons for the model changeover/new factory. She pointed out that they offer a two year bumper to bumper warranty, that she was not aware of any other pervasive problems and that as far as she knew, there were none with the new models, and that she would know because she also answers the warranty service request telephone calls.

She didn't have to tell me about the prior problem, so she gets some points for honesty. I asked about service availability in Chicago. She got her list and ran through over 10 authorized service facilities before I cut her off. So it seems that at this time, service is readily available for me, including from the retailer who sold the machine to me.

I will definitely report back periodically on my Ariston experience. I still hope to get some input from other Ariston owners.

• rfcc1
    18 years ago

I have had an ariston AW120 since August. It replaced a kenmore FL that got hit by lightning. I haven't had any problems although I do wish I had bought the one with the internal heater.
    k

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your response rfcc1. It does help make me somewhat hopeful. Please continue to report back periodically, with good news or bad news, so that others can gain the benefit of your experience. I will do the same. It seems there is very little of this type of feedback from actual owners of Ariston products sold in the US.

The repair people I have spoken with in the past when my equator was being serviced were somewhat positive about Indesit in that it was their opinion that where Indesit discovers a problem, they fix it and incorporate the fix into their new products and replacement parts rather than simply deny that the problem exists.

Indesit bought Philco Italia (I believe formerly owned by Electrolux) which produced the equators and all of the replacement parts which have gone into my equator had Indesit/Ariston stamped on them. So far, none of the replacement parts have failed (pump, dryer timer, thermostats and fuses, etc. It is just the old Philco Italia parts which keep failing me. This is the reason I am buying a new machine.

• aquarius2101
    18 years ago

I hate to break the news, but the reliability of Indesit Company produced washers isn't something to write home about, which has certainly been proved here in Europe... I personally wouldn't be seen dead with an Indesit, Ariston or Hotpoint machine sitting in my laundry room.

I read a UK forum about washer repairs, and the most commonly appearing brands are, you guessed it, Indesit and Ariston, as well as the newer Hotpoints which are essentially Ariston inside.

Not just that, but they are also notoriously poor rinsers, and very loud in the spinning cycles too.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: UK White Goods Forum

• aquarius2101
    18 years ago

Some companies make real strides at improving products, and your new washer may prove a good value.

Unfortunately, that's not the sort of thing you get from the Indesit Company, LOL. All they care about is money, not the quality or performance of their products at all...

• spewey
    18 years ago

chicagobent,

Thanks for the followup report. It is encouraging to hear of your conversation with the support operator and her being forthcoming about the prior machines board problems and her report that they have a decent service network set up in your area. We've seen good companies go bad and bad companies improve, so perhaps this may mark the beginning of improved products from Indesit.

rfcc1, is your washer indeed a poor rinser and loud during the spin cyles?

• aquarius2101
    18 years ago

Spewey - have you ever had experience with any Indesit Company produced products?

• NickUK
    18 years ago

Chicagobent,

I really hope that you enjoy your new purchase and that it serves you well.

Here in the UK, what Aquarius2101 said is something I totally support. Indesit and Ariston brands are not reliable, notably many have developed faults with their control boards. He is also correct on another issue - in the UK, they are among the noisiest machines on the market owing to fairly crude AC brush motors and little sound insulation. The stability system is also crude and affects noise levels during spin.

I really hope to hear that your experience with your new machine is much more positive, but I wouldn't want to patronise you so what I've said is my truth - based on UK experience only.

Regards, Nick

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the comments.

Nick and Aquarius2101--
    It is always good to hear from our friends across the pond. For a variety of reasons, my choices were narrowed down to an Antonio Merloni/Servis produced combo machine for $1200 or an Indesit/Ariston produced combo for $800. You two should be able to provide an interesting perspective on the following question--If those were your only choices, which would you have chosen? Is Ariston/Indesit worse than Servis/Antonio Merloni? The Ariston seemed better built for less money and the local service people in Chicago seem to have reported fewer problems with them than with the units built by Antonio Merloni/Servis. At least one retailer told me he would not sell me the Eurotech model even though his store carries it and had them in stock because too many of them had been returned with problems.

I would love to have had the choices of all of the different combo models which are available in the UK. If I had, I definitely would have bought a different brand. I also would have been willing to spend much more money. Unfortunately, because combo machines are so rare in the US and make up such a small share of our market, it seems that we only get the unreliable models. My only choices were models produced by Ariston/Indesit, Servis/Antonio Merloni, LG, and a few Chinese made models which have even worse reputations than the first three. All have a bad reputation on reliability in my area, including LG (which two local retailers told me they have stopped carrying altogether because of reliability issues with their laundry appliances). Given that, I went for the cheapest model which had a good service network and an available extended warranty.

I understood about the UK experience before ordering. I've read some good UK reviews and some bad UK reviews-definitely more bad than good. Many of the UK reviews relate not only to repairs, but also to poor customer service from Ariston UK. I've never had a bad experience with my local retailer who will also be servicing the unit so I doubt I will actually have all that much contact with Ariston in the US. So far, however, Ariston US customer service has been good and the sales rep who sells to my retailer answered my questions on the phone from his home over the weekend and even offered me his phone number so I could call him if I had any problems. If the machine becomes unservicable (such as due to unavailability of parts, Ariston goes out of business in the US, etc.), the local retailer's extended warranty provides that they will supply a new comparable machine. Also, I have not had a problem with any of the Indesit/Ariston parts which have been used to repair my current equator machine which was produced by Philco Italia before it was owned by Indesit.

Finally, I'm not so concerned about noise level because my machine is in a closet with a door which closes and I have very good insulation. I doubt it can really be any louder than my six year old Equator model, but I guess I will find that out soon. Besides, someone had to buy the Ariston and report back to this forum on the current US models.

• rfcc1
    18 years ago

spewey, my washer rinses well, as evidenced by the fact there is very little scent left in the clothes no matter what kind of detergent I use and does in fact make less noise than my kenmore used to.

• aquarius2101
    18 years ago

Chicagobent,

To put it this way, I would choose neither :-). I would much rather take my clothes to the local launderette than get to know my local repairman by name due to weekly visits.

Being serious now, if those two were my only choices I would probably go with the Indesit/Ariston over the Merloni/Servis produced PoS machines. At least with Ariston and Indesits the controls don't fall off in your hands, and the doors don't jiggle about on the hinges as so many Servis machines do, although I'd still not expect the machien to last me over 3 or 4 years.

Bear in mind that they still aren't the best machines for performing - I have used several and have never been very impressed. People who I know that own them (they are fairly common here because they are dirt cheap), aren't particularly happy with the performance either, especially the rinsing. I know of several people who have replaced Indesit's with better machines and have mysteriously stopped getting itching on their skin. My nana has got a new UK Hotpoint washer (which is essentially an Ariston), and it only rinses 2 times and you can still stench the Persil on her laundry at the end of the cycle, which you couldn't do with her previous GEC-produced 10 year old Hotpoint, and even those weren't that good at rinsing. It is also very loud during the wash cycle - i.e. you can hear it tumbling in the next room with the door closed, and the 1400rpm spin can be heard on the street outside.

I think it is safe to say that as far as Indesit and Ariston are concerned, you get what you pay for... (although the prices of them in the US are laughable when you can buy one here for under 180/$314).

Spewey,

Chillax! I never said you claimed you had an Indesit produced appliance, but I hardly call a sink disposer and a washer similar LOL. It would be more helpful to you if you just listened to people such as myself who have had experience with these machines, not only through knowing people with them but also from working in the appliance industry too. In the forseeable future I highly doubt that Indesit will ever increase the quality of their product - in fact it has gotten considerably worser over the years. There isn't just any reason as to why a lot of people in the know add an extra h after the s to the Indesit name!!!

Jon

• spewey
    18 years ago

Jon,

Since you missed it in my post, I stated I would not have recommended the Indesit, though it appears it was a good deal by comparable prices here for a combo. We know the company's past well, but none of us can see into the future. Indesit may well have to improve to complete in the American market against other offerings. Time will tell if they make this committment.

It's encouraging that rfcc1 reports his washer rinses well and is quieter than his previous machine. I hope you will join me in wishing the same good luck for chicagobent.

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Aqarius2101,

Thanks again for the response. Can you please explain exactly what were the problems you had with your Ariston machine? Which problems, over how long of a period, cost to repair, did any of the problems recur?

It seems to me that the construction quality of the Servis built machines is much worse than the Ariston--and my choice really was between the Servis built Eurotech or Asko brand and the Indesit built Ariston.

LG sells a model in the US, but I would have to order it sight unseen because no retailer in the Chicago area seems to stock it or show it on the sales floor. It is much more expensive than the Ariston. My neighbors had to get two replacement LG machines in three years due to a variety of problems. Ultimately, they got LG to buy back the machine, but they had to contact the office of the president of LG in Korea to get them to agree. I tried to call LG customer service in the US today after hearing your warnings and because their new machines have been given good reviews on the internet (although their old machines have not gotten great reviews). I wanted to see if they could tell me who in Chicago might stock the machine so I could go and see it. I was in automated telephone answering system/on-hold hell for 20 minutes when their automated system asked for my name and number and said someone would call me back--then it hung up on me......If I bought the LG and had to contact their customer service for any reason, I think it would be very difficult. In contrast, I didn't have to wait even 30 seconds to speak with a live person at Ariston US.

The Chinese built machines are also readily available in the US, but there really is no service network and they too have a history of breaking down. Parts availability for these machines is another issue. Finally, most of those machines have to be ordered over the telephone or internet and the delivery people will not carry them up the stairs and into my condo on the third floor.

I can appreciate that you really dislike Ariston based on your personal experience. I may even come to the same conclusion soon. However, I would never go back to washing at a laudromat again after having had a washer/dryer in my condo. Perhaps I am just another spoiled American. However, even a machine which breaks and has to be repaired every year would be better than not having a machine. I won't have to pay for any of the repairs for four years. In that time, I would have spent more money on coins to feed the machines at the laundromat than I will have spent for the Ariston machine, the warranty and the tax altogether.

As for the washing quality, the machine I am getting has three rinse cycles standard on the cotton wash cycle (mostly what I use) similar to my current Equator. Unlike my Equator, it also has an option for an extra rinse cycle. It spins only at 1200 rpm, but that is actually good because I live in a 1921 building and the floor joists are made of wood and tend to transmit some vibrations. If the machine really is too loud, I will be able to return it to the store--they have a very liberal return policy and a long history of excellent customer service in the Chicago area. They will even come and pick it up for free.

The machine is being delivered tomorrow--I will report back on wash quality, rinse quality, noise level, vibration/spin stability, drying, etc. I will from personal experience be able to compare it to the Equator 3600CEE which has generally received good reviews (even though my machine broke down four times in six years). I am getting rid of it because the reputable repair services won't work on it and I don't trust the only repair service which I can find who will work on it because they tried to rip me off by charging way too much to replace my thermostats the last time my machine broke--btw, I declined their $300 repair fee and replaced the thermostats myself for $40. I'm just not willing to cough up the $145 to buy a new computer control board for a six year old machine with a bad track record.

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ariston AWD121 Combo Washer Dryer-Initial Impression after only one load of wash.

I obviously cannot speak about the reliability of the machine.

I washed in cold water one pair of jeans, two cotton turtelneck sweaters, a weeks worth of dark socks and three dark cotton t-shirts, filling the tub up 2/3 full. I put it on the regular wash cotton cycle. The wash cycle took 50 minutes.

The machine uses much less water than my Equator 3600CEE, but the load came out clean and there did not appear to be any noticable detergent residue after the third rinse. You could definitely still hear the clothes sloshing if you listened, but it was much less so than in the Equator.

The motor on the machine is probably not as quiet as some other machines, but it was definitely more quiet than my Equator. The pump is also noticably more quiet than my Equator. I think the machine is better insulated for sound than the Equator.

I did not find the noise level at all objectionable at any time during the wash or dry cycle. With the laundry closet door closed, I could barely hear the machine during the high speed spin when standing in the hall next to the closet. Moreover, unlike my Equator which cycled the pump almost constantly during the dry cycle, the pump on the Ariston only comes on for about 10 seconds every two minutes during the dry cycle. Thus, the machine is much more quiet than the Equator during the dry cycle.

I don't know how many shocks the machine has, but the suspension system for the drum definitely seems more stable than the Equator, even with the jeans and cotton sweaters. There was no thumping, just smooth spin. The cabinet did not budge at all or shake my floor at all. The transition into the spin cycles, also known as "ramping up" seemed smoother and more even than the Equator.

Dry time took only 50 minutes for the load and everything was almost bone dry and nothing was noticably damp one minute after being removed from the machine. This same load in my Equator would have taken 90 minutes to dry that well even right after cleaning the impeller. My Equator only spun at 1000 rpm whereas the Ariston spins at 1200 rpm. This and the fact that the Ariston is band new might explain the great drying results.

Thus, so far I do not regret my decision to give the Ariston a chance. The machine seems many levels above the Equator in terms of how it operates when it is working. The only questions now are whether it will keep working and how will it handle other types of loads. I will report back once I have more experience.

Oh, and btw, the machine was perfectly level without any adjustments to the legs. I know my laundry room floor is relatively level, but I never expected that. My Equator never seemed perfectly level on top because the top panel was flexible and never sat perfectly flat all the way across no matter how I adjusted the legs. I got it to the point where the machine was resting evenly, but the top was not level. I think that was due to poor construction quality.

The Ariston cabinet is very sturdy, rigid and in square. The top sits level front to back on both sides, side to side at the front and back, and also diagonally from corner to corner. This is true whether I use a long level or a short level. It also seems to be resting evenly on all four legs while being level on top.

• NickUK
    18 years ago

I'm so so pleased for you, and I wish you many years of washing from this machine. Just because many many Ariston machines here in the UK have had serious problems, doesn't mean that your particular machine will be a pain. You may have a good one and who knows, it may even offer you longevity.

It's great to read about all the advantages the Ariston has over the Equator machine.

I do not know anything about Equator - can you give me a clue as to what other brands their machines sell under ? I want to avoid them having listened to what you said !

• akastj_northern_ca
    18 years ago

Nick,

"I do not know anything about Equator"

That's all been discussed in the ongoing Combo discussion thread. I suggest you review Parts 7 and 8...

TJ

• spewey
    18 years ago

That's a very encouraging report, chicagobent. It's nice to know the models sold in the US don't have those rinsing and noise problems one poster reported. Your review matches the same conclusions reported by rfcc1; good to hear.

Time will tell about reliability. I wish you the best of luck in that regard.

• aquarius2101
    18 years ago

Chicagobent,

Interesting to hear about your experience with the US-sold Aristons! Totally different to what owners of Indesit-produced machines over here in the UK experience - and exceptionally different to my nana's 3 week old UK Hotpoint washer and one of my friend's 1 year old Indesit, as well as other older models that I also see.

Of course, I'm not too certain the reliability will be different, but at least for now you're getting good performance from your machine. I wish you the best of luck!

Jon

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the wishful thinking from everyone. Perhaps my report sounded too glowing. Afterall, to keep this in perspective, I've only done one load of wash so far and run one cycle on empty when the delivery people were at my place just to confirm that the machine works. I will report back further after doing more laundry.

Jon-Only time will tell about the reliability. I understand there is a decent chance of needing some repairs in the next few years based on Indesit's track record overseas. Hopefully I am wrong on that. However, my bigger concern is how quickly I can get the repairs done, whether they are major or minor, and what the customer service will be like if I have to deal with Ariston US. I do have a four year bumper to bumper warranty from a reliable local vendor who will service the machine or replace it if need be. At least I won't have to pay for any repairs the next four years.

Nick-Equator is a US company founded by an Indian immigrant to the US. They simply import and sell under their brand name. My old machine was manufactured for Equator by Philco Italia which at the time was owned by Electrolux. Philco Italia was sold to Indesit in 2003, and Indesit made the newer Equator machines until recently. Equator is now suing Indesit in the US claiming the newer machines were faulty in contrast to the older machines which were allegedly fine. (Clearly my older machine was not fine.) The Ariston sales rep to one local retailer told me the design of those Equator machines was inhereted from Philco Italia, that the factory which made them (in Bergamo, Italy) is now closed and that the new Aristons are five generations of engineering ahead of my old machine--maybe true, maybe not. Equator's new machines are made in a brand new factory in China which they built and jointly own with the Mai Ling Applicance company (China's fourth largest). In North America, they are only sold under the Equator name as Equator has an exclusive distribution right in North America. Equator is no longer selling Italian made machines by Indesit as far as I know.

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Two more washloads in the Ariston- 1) a set of queen sheets-washed well, got rid of the dog's paw prints, machine spun smoothly, again no vibrations, dried completely in only 50 minutes (would have taken 100 minutes in my old machine); and 2) load of whites, including one white dress shirt, 8 undershirts and 5 pair white athletic socks and some undershorts, same exact results as the first load-the whites came out cleaner/whiter than my old machine.

This machine is better at getting dog hair off my clothes than my old machine and seems to work well on that front. I've also noticed that the program cycles involve more interim spins and interim fills, as well as incorporating more soaking than my old Equator machine. Also, the fins and spin combined seem to cause the clothes to tumble better so that the clothes are always changing their internal configuration and getting continuously rearranged-this is true both in the wash and dry cycles.

The pre-wash cycle washes in cold as it should even if the temp for the main wash is set at hot, making it easier to get out protien based stains. Also, I figured out the "easy iron" feature....basically, it only works on perm press or delicates....if no dry time is selected but the easy iron button is pushed, the machine will continue to tumble the clothes after the wash cycle completes until they are removed, helping to prevent wrinkles from setting in. I normally take my dress shirts out after the final spin before drying so they can dry without wrinkling, so this will be a nice feature.

It is still early, but so far, provided the machine does not break down, I think it is a great machine. It does not have an internal water heater. However, this is not a problem for me because my building has recirculating hot water, so that it comes out of the tap very hot at all times.

Happy holidays and washing to all.

• rfcc1
    18 years ago

chicagobent,
    the only issue i have with this or any front loader is that when I do sheets they wad up into a ball and have to be
    pulled apart when they come out of the washer. also another tip. I spin things like full loads of jeans or other very heavy fabrics on a lower speed but t-shirts and uniforms on a higher speed. the drying time on the high speed spin is usually about 30 minutes that way. the jeans might require 50 minutes because of the lower speed. I spin them at a lower speed because of the heavier material.
    k

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Correction on the "easy iron" feature--contrary to what it said on the internet, when you select "easy iron" on a perm press or delicate cycle, the machine stops before the final spin and the clothes sit in water until you press the "easy iron" button again, and then the machine finishes the cycle by spinning.

I guess this allows you to start a cycle, go almost to the end and then not finish until you are ready for it to be finished. Other than knowing when it will finish (because you have told the machine to resume processing), I'm not really sure how this is theoretically supposed to reduce wrinkles.

Thanks for the tip Rfcc1. Generally, however, I don't ever have a full load of jeans because I only own 2 pair. I really can't separate every type of clothing or I would be doing too many loads and not filling the machine. I separate whites (they get a pre-wash and then are washed in hot), medium colors (not bright or dark, but not white) and they are washed in warm, and finally, darks and brights which are washed in cold. This sorting routine has worked well for me.

It is true that sheets can sometimes ball up, but so far in this machine, that was not a problem on the one load of sheets I washed.

Since my last post, I washed a load of towels in warm on the cotton cycle....everything came out clean and dry and the spin cycle was smoothe, despite the heavy items. I am still very pleased with the machine.

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Almost three weeks and many loads of washing since my last report...So far, the Ariston AWD 121 combo washer dryer is an excellent machine.

It washes well with very little detergent or water usage, is not too loud, gets rid of dog hair, runs smoothly with virtually no vibrations (even when washing heavy fabrics like towels and jeans), and dries my clothes fairly quickly for a water cooled condensing dryer with little wrinkling (a load of towels are bone dry in 50 minutes).

Provided it does not break down, which only time will tell, it appears to be a very high quality stable machine for not a lot of money (only $800.00). :-)

• legosmom
    18 years ago

Hi, I am new at the forum, based in Chicago. I have been reading with interest about the combo washer-dryers ( i am getting one very soon). I have been interested in Ariston AWD121, but there aren't any reviews on the net, except for this list. I would be really interested in how is the combo holding up after few months. I would also love some input in comparing Ariston with the Summit SPWD-1160C model.

TIA!

• rfcc1
    18 years ago

try the "modern washer forum"

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Legosmom and anyone else who is curious....so far all is well with my Ariston AWD 121... I've had it since December 05...no problems whatsover, clothes are still coming out clean, the dryer works well, etc. At this point, I am very happy with my purchase.

• 55trucker_excite_com
    17 years ago

I recently purchased the AW122 front loader washer. As I live in an apartment I wanted a small convenient machine to do my laundry so I don't have to use the *pay* machines in the laundry room. This little washer runs well, is quiet, and is efficient. If there is one problem it has it is in the spin cycle. There is a variable speed control on the panel and I have to keep it down to the lowest speed setting because the washer will literally lift off the ground because the load goes eccentric in the drum. Have to shut the machine down, reset the load and try again. Now keep in mind that I am not putting in a big load, just regular items. Literally have to babysit the washer thru the spin cycles. My pleasure with the machine is 50/50. Need some warranty help here.

• emliaemilia
    17 years ago

My my!....what a difference an intelligent serviceman makes....as for my shaking problem that I have been experiencing when doing a spin cycle, it seems that the installers that placed the machine for me here, did NOT remove the shipping lock-down plugs in the back of the machine!..Now i did inquire as to that over the phone when requesting service by the retailer and she assured me that the delivery crew knew what they were doing, HAH!....All is fine now, no more shake rattle and jump...this machine works marvelously!...and i did find out that the control board is manufactured by Texas Instruments, and the motor by Seimens. All in all..a good deal, I'm Happy!

• bens_hockspot_com
    17 years ago

This review is awesome. I have been trying to find out if the Ariston ABT carries is a worthy buy. I had a similar mind to purchase the 4 year warranty since ABT has such a good service record. I think I am going to take the plunge.
    One question, though...ABT lists the unit for 899 on their site now. Seems a little more than what you paid. Is the shtick of their "A" "B" and "C" price for each item true? What was the magic formula to get the unti for 700?
    Thanks!

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Benman,

I did purchase the extended warranty for my Ariston, but so far, I have not needed it. The machine is still working great. I did not get a $700 price, I got it for $798 (basically $100 off the price listed on their web site). The prices posted in the store are usually higher than shown on their web site. Their bottom line price is usually lower than posted on their web site.

You don't really have to haggle when dealing with ABT. Just ask them for a lower price and you will usually get it. If you don't, talk to a different salesperson. I didn't even have to ask for a lower price...I told the sales person I was interested interested and she outright offered it to me for that price. Good Luck.

• jade1111
    17 years ago

chicagobent or anyone else who might be able to advise:

Hi - I've been reading this forum for about a year now, trying to solve the laundry problem in my LA-area apartment. With a family of 3 that includes a baby in cloth diapers, laundry without normal hookups & vent is quite a problem!

I've been through the wringer with the big LG 3677 and am returning the second unit tomorrow. Need to find replacement combo machine right away and am considering the Ariston.

Two questions:
    1) Does the Ariston release much steam and / or heat into the area? (The LG units I've had blew steam like tea kettles and turned my tiny kitchen into a sauna.)

2) How do you handle "tumble dry Low" items if there is only a dry timer and no dry temp selection? Most of our clothing wants to be dried on low, and I don't want to end up with shrinkage and baked elastic and such.

Thank you so much for your previous posts and any more info you can give.

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jade1111,

The Ariston does not release much steam unless I open the door right after it stops drying, but even then I would not say it is a lot of steam. It does put out some heat, althought I don't think it any worse than my refrigerator in that regard.

As for low heat....if I have an item that cannot tolerate high heat, I just remove it and hang it up before starting the dryer....with a 1200 rpm final spin speed, lightweight items (Such as button down shirts, etc.) will be mostly dry after the final spin.

Finally, I've read all of your posts.....while there are certain disadvantages to combos, it really sounds like you don't have much other choice if you want a washer and dryer in your apartment. I tried to call Ariston HQ once...I left a message as their recording requests and they called me back within 15 minutes....They were very helpful and answered my questions honestly....and at least I wasn't on hold for that time. I don't expect to have to deal with them directly, my local retailer is one of their authorized service reps...I can't speak for their service in LA, but I was shocked at how many service reps they had in Chicago.

So far, still no problems with my machine. I don't think anyone who has actually purchased Ariston in the US has posted any problems. Moreover, the machine is cheap, even with the extended warranty.

• byron1
    17 years ago

I finally got around to installing a recently purchased Ariston AW120 washer today. Oh my god!!!! Now I know what nickuk & aqarius2101 mean by "crude & loud" Of all the fl washers I own - the Ariston is the loudest.

The drum rotates for 10 seconds pauses then rotates for 5 seconds. It does not appear to wash clothes as thoroughly as the other units I own. Even the Danby/Gorenje washer has a better wash action. The unit has 2 rinses + optional 3rd rinse and does a decent job.

During the beginning of the spin cycle the tub bangs against the sides of the unit. I tried re-leveling the unit and it worked somewhat. During the spin cycle I thought thought the washer was going to lift off the floor at 1200 rpm.

Well I guess you get what you pay for. $200.00 for the washer plus free 15" storage drawer pedestal was hard to pass up.

Would love to hear others experience with Ariston washers,

• buga
    16 years ago

Hello, excuse my bad English. I live in portugal, near spain. The ariston here in portugal is known to be a good brand is a brand of medium-range, but unfortunately was considered a mark very little reliable. It is very fragile. The indesit is much more reliable and durable. I have a indesit who has 10 years and never needed technical assistance.
    I like the ariston. A washing machine of the ariston here in portugal cost approximately 300. (Translated by google)

buga

• amg_in_sf_area
    14 years ago

Hello All!
    Well, my Supra is mostly kaput, and I'm thinking of buying the brand I always wanted, Ariston. I am aware of what is out there on the web, which is not much, sadly. I have a chance to pick up an Ariston AWD121 that is in perfect running condition. I would love to know if any of you who own an Ariston are happy with your purchase, and I would especially love to hear from chicagobent.
    ~ Alexis

• jwayne
    14 years ago

My wife and I purchased an Ariston 121 AWD... We are having problems with it starting properly or functioning at all.

We fill the fabric softener and detergent cups, set the cycle we want and it adds water and then sits there. The one time it worked, it washed for about 6 hours and then we had to manually start the dry cycle.

What are we doing wrong? Anyone have any pointers for us? We really would like to wash out clothes, sheets and linens! :)

• hidroman
    14 years ago

Jwayne,

I guess you have forgotten the EASY IRON option pushbutton pressed. This option stops the washer at the end of the last rinse *without* draining and spinning.
    The purpose of this "behaviour" is to prevent bad creases setting on laundry

As we europeans have a "load-start-forget about it" mindset, we often use this option with permapress loads. They sit soaking in water and fabric softener at the cycle end. When one finally reminds about the washer to be unloaded, he/she just releases that pushbutton and the machine will drain and spin . The easy iron option works no matter you select a plain wash cycle or a wash'n'dry one.
    So be sure EASY IRON is not engaged before start a wash'n'dry cycle

Italian washers may be a bit odd to use. Go figure I can run whatever german made washer without reading its manual. When it comes to use an italian machine I go lost between all those stupid icons instead of clear words. no matter i need the manual

I'm sorry to say such a thing cause I'm italian too, but that's the truth

• jwayne
    14 years ago

Hidroman,

Thanks for the efforts to help... Unfortunately, we DO NOT have the Easy Iron button engaged. I mean, we stick the cycle on the "tshirt icon" #2, push start... it adds some water, makes two or so rotations and then stops and does nothing at all. I sadly think we have a bad machine. We can manually stilc it on rinse, spin, and then dry but that kind of defeats the purpose and our laundry is getting backed up...

I have no idea... It is frustrating and baffling.

• hidroman
    14 years ago

Try this : set the temperature knob ( that one with heavy, regular. light ...) on "tap cold" . Guess the machine will operate since then

If it will happen, the culprit is the heating element (broken, not an expensive fault to repair)

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just saw my old post and thought I would update....Ariston left the US market several years ago, but I am happy to report that in the almost nine years I have had my machine, I have not had one single problem except for recently having to open the blower motor housing and clean the lint off of the squirrel cage fan blades because that was preventing the dryer from working as well as it should, although it still worked. So, even if my machine died tomorrow, I would have gotten my money's worth from my purchase.

• lee676
    9 years ago

> Ariston left the US market several years ago,

Really? What's this? Or this? Home Depot stocks Ariston point-of-use water heaters in their stores too.

• lee676
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update though

• chicagobent
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My aplologies. I had been told several years ago by the store which sold me my machine that Ariston had left the US market and that they could no longer get parts. I asked while at the store for something else when I noticed they did not display the machines anymore. Apparently they now have a minimal presence with almost no dealer network. If you look at their web site for dealers in Illinois, you are only given the Ariston phone number and no list of dealers. There is also no North American distribution shown on the parent company's main web site. I love my machine. I would gladly buy another when the time comes if they could assure me that there would be a local source for service and parts in the event of a breakdown.

• Fern Nash
    8 years ago

Hi. I have had the Ariston AWD 120 for the past six years and until now, no major problems. Whenever I try to start a washing load, the drum starts to fill with hit water (only hot) and doesn't stop. If I don't turn it off, I would probably have a flood. Called a repairman who said it might need a new pressure switch. Waiting to see. Also, not sure why cold water is not going into the machine....hoses were already checked. Anybody else having problems like this? Thanks

• chicagobent2
    6 years ago

So, I have had my Ariston AWD121 for a little over 12 years now. I do have to open up the machine, remove the fan unit and clean the lint and dog hair out of both that and the condensing container every couple of years, but other than that routine maintenance, I have not had any problems with my machine. It cleans the clothes, it is very stable with minimum vibrations, and it washes and dries a load in about 2 to 3 hours, depending on whether the items are heavy or light and the wash cycle selected.

FYI, I am the same person as chicagobent, but had to set up a new account as my old account did not seem to survive the Houzz takeover of That Home Site.

As my machine is now 12 years old, I am getting concerned because it seems that Ariston is not really sold in North America anymore. The above comments from 2014 about them not leaving the US market appear to no longer be true. That said, the Splendide WDC7100XC seems to be made by Ariston and seems to be the updated version of what I currently have.

I would not buy an LG combo unit because almost everyone I know who did has had huge problems with the machines leaking. Hopefully, I will not need a new machine any time soon.