Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
careers4u

Help for 2nd Floor Small Space

careers4u
17 years ago

I've been lurking here for days as I researched FL washers. We decided on the Bosch, but the Nexxt doesn't fit our space. Our local appliance dealer suggested the Duet Sport for our second floor laundry, but I fear he was not as knowledgable as he claimed. We measured the size of the 8300 that was on display and he said the 8500 was the same dimensions. We now know this is not so and I fear it won't fit. Possibly with a side vent, but...

Now we seem to be back at square one. So, my question is about capacity. I realize the Bosch Axxis and Asko have only a 2.1 capacity, but what exactly does that mean? We are a family of four and I do laundry almost daily, but not really full loads except towels. Can someone give me some thoughts about how much these machines really hold? Also, are these two machines good with vibration/noise issues? My husband is very worried about this.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• dmlove
    17 years ago

What are the dimensions of the space?

• careers4u
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We have a depth of 31 inches to the molding, 33 1/2 to the louvered doors. The width is 59" between the molding but we have an extra inch or two on each side (i.e., 63 x 31 deep or 59 x 33 1/2 deep).

The Duet 8500 dryer is too deep for the space. Spoke to someone this morning to recommends Miele or Bosch over Asko (with not a lot of reasons except he has more experience selling the others). Any thoughts?

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Unfortunately, you're right, unless you can run the vent underneath the dryer. We have 31-1/2" to the molding, but we have 35" to the door. From the front of the glass on the dryer door to the closet door is just 2" of clearance (so you'd only have 1/2" at best. Sorry.

• joanne7
    17 years ago

Does anyone have the 8500 Duet Sport dryer installed that can give me the depth dimentions from the wall to the end of the dryer. I have a small space and would like to know how deep this dryer is when installed with vent.

• dmlove
    17 years ago

My HE2T (the Kenmore version of the Duet Sport 8500), installed, is 33-3/4 from the back wall to the very front of the door. It's as far back as it can go in the closet. There are 7" between the end of the of the cabinet and the back wall - 2" taken up by protrusions on the back of the dryer itself, and 5" taken up by the vent.

• careers4u
    Original Author
    17 years ago

At this point I am thinking I'll either get the 8500 washer with the 8300 dryer (which is just over 29 inches deep or buy the Bosch Axxis. Why is laundry such a tough decision?

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Actually, I think my dryer is the equivalent of the 8300, not the 8500. I'm not sure the depth of the two is different (even though the Whirlpool website says they are, the Sears website says they're not, and logic says they're not -- the capacity of the machines is the same, it's features that are different, so why would the depth be different).

• lbny_rob
    17 years ago

dmlove,
    I am trying to figure out your measurements and want to be absolutely clear.

My closet depth is 34" behind/clear of the door frame.
    Will the Duet 8500 fit?
    Incidentally, the clear width of the closet is 36" and the water, drain and vent are on the right wall.

I would hate to invest in a stack only to find that it won't fit in the confines of the closet.

I like that the LG wm2496h/dlg9588w stackable units have adjustable controls, so that the dryer controls can be placed on the bottom, nesting the washer/dryer controls at mid height. Oddly enough neither LG nor any other site offers installation guidelines so one can determine the necessary clearances.

• jjam
    17 years ago

We went through the same process you are describing, and even had an HE2t delivered only to discover that it would not fit. Have you considered Fisher & Paykel? We found that to be the best solution for us. I also looked at the Axxis and the Miele, but looked at the cycle times and cost, and decided on the F&P. The neat thing about the F&P set is that it is slightly smaller that the average TL,(we used the front load dryer and vented to the side) and makes for a GREAT fit in our space. My advice would be to find something that fits well. You don't want to be struggling with something that will make a door hard to close, or will make things hard to reach around, or will just look like it's too big for the space even if you can technically squeeze it in there. We can see now how important the overall ergonomics are, and it will be far more important than a feature or two on the machine that you will probably not use all that often. Also, take a close look at cycle times. If you run lots of medium to large loads, the long cycle times could really add up. Good Luck with your decision.

• dmlove
    17 years ago

lbny rob, I'll try to take a couple of pix tonight to explain my dimensions.

• lbny_rob
    17 years ago

dmlove, thanks...

My space is a "laundry" closet I had built into the hall. The space inside (not including the doorway and its moldings) is 34" deep and 36" wide (not counting the space taken up on the right hand side wall which contains connections for the hot and cold water, waste drain, gas line, AC outlet and vent hose (which to my possible advantage is installed higher up).

The doorway is 36" and I plan on using two 18" bi fold louver doors. The finished door frame is 3" wide.

I am looking for a stacking unit (which unfortunately eliminates some nice choices) and a gas dryer (which eliminates some other nice choices).

We have the Maytag Neptune stack in our present house and I know that the DW does not want to downsize washer or dryer capacity if we can help it. This eliminates the smaller European models like the 2.1 sizes.

I apologize to the OP for sort of hijacking this thread, but I know that limited space laundry issues come up often and my questions and concerns may be insightful or helpful.

• lbny_rob
    17 years ago

I saw something interesting while perusing the dimension guides for the Whirlpool Duet (GGW9250P) and Duet Sport (WGD8500S) Dryers.

On the one for the 9250, the diagram shows zero rear clearance for a recessed area or closet installation. For the 8500 it shows a 5.25 inch space rear clearance.

In looking further, in the Owners manual, it shows that you can purchase optional parts that will allow both dryers to vent to the left or right. This eliminates the clearance needed behind the unit for the recommended 4" diameter elbow. If I am reading this correctly, you may be able to place the 6.7 cubic foot Duet Sport 8500 or the larger 9250 Duet in a tighter space.

If this holds true, or there are other models that allow the 4 way venting options of the Whirlpool Duets, there may be more choices than you think...IF you can vent the exhaust to the side.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
    Rob

Here is a link that might be useful: .PDF for 9400S Duet

• dmlove
    17 years ago

That absolutely can be done on the HE2 series. Keep in mind, however (and lbny rob, this does not apply to stacked units), side by side front loaders are designed for a washer on the left, dryer on the right configuration (dryer doors can be switched, but washer doors can't). Therefore, it would only really work if you could vent out to the right side (unfortunately for me, my vent is on the left, which is where the old dryer was and the new dryer is, even though that means the doors are hinged and open to the middle, instead of each to the outside). Almost all the dryers we looked at permitted different venting options.

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Here are some pictures that I hope will help. I tried to get these all on one page so I could mark it up and scan it, but I couldn't get it to work.

In this picture, I'm pointing the camera down over the back of the dryer. On the left side looking down (where most of the vent is)to the back wall is 7". As you can see, most of this (about 5") is taken up by the vent. Looking to the right, the dryer body itself protrudes about 2" so there's only 5" to the back wall in this spot.

In this picture, you can see the depth more clearly. From the back wall to the edge of the door jamb molding (where the "Duet" name label is located) is 31-1/2". Adding in the door of the dryer (to the front of the glass) is 33-1/2". There's clearance of 1-1/2" to the front of the dryer door when the closet door is closed.

Hope that helps.

• lbny_rob
    17 years ago

dmlove, thanks!
    I assume that when dimensions are given, that it isn't just for the "box" but for any protrusion, including the door.

So, I may have more options with a stack if the dryer has a reversible door and can vent to the right.

It is interesting that you have 4 way or 3 way venting options on many dryers, but the decreased needs for rear clearance or how to set up side venting seems to be ignored or barely mentioned in installation guides and dimension guides.

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Rob, yes, if you include every protrusion, from the back wall to the front of the glass on the dryer door is 33-1/2" (again, however, that can be reduced by about 5" by venting to the side).

Just wondering, what does the lb stand for, Long Beach?

• dross
    17 years ago

responding to the original post: for a limited space installation in which vibration might be an issue, it is hard to beat the Asko, as long as you have the electrical hookups. Capacity in small-drum Euro machines is much greater than one might normally think, and the Asko has a very nice vibration-isolating suspension. Don't buy them however if you do not have authorized local service (ditto for any expensive washer). - DR

• lbny_rob
    17 years ago

dmlove,
    the "lb" in lbny is indeed for Long Beach!

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Rob,OT,I grew up in Valley Stream. Long Beach was "the beach" - we used to take the LIRR out there in summer. (I've lived in the SF Bay Area, though, since 1973).

• careers4u
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dross, Thank you for the response. I have looked at the Asko and the Bosch Axxis, as mentioned. Interestingly, two local appliance places (with their own in house service, both well regarded in the Boston area) do not recommend the Asko over the Bosch. However, another area dealer does like the Asko and has a local repair place that specializes in the Asko. Any thoughts on why this might be the case based on your experience? Is it more difficult for in-house repair shops to get Asko parts? Also, if you bought the Asko with its three year standard warranty, would you extend that to five based on your experience? (By the way, capacity is less of a concern for me as I don't mind throwing a load in every day. With kids, it seems we need to do that anyway just so they have enough clothes to wear!) Thanks!