Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justducky_2006

How Much to Disconnect Gas Dryer?

justducky_2006
17 years ago

I have a washer and dryer that I am donating and need to have the gas disconnected from the dryer. The gas company does not provide this service and I have gotten two estimates from two separate handyman services. One is for $65 and the other is $90 plus a $45 service charge. I have not called any plumbers as I think they would cost even more. The $65 charge is just to disconnect the gas from the dryer and cap it off. Moving the appliances anywhere is additional. Ideally, I wanted them moved the garage for pick-up. Do these charges seem to be the going rate?

Comments (2)

• User
    17 years ago

You should have a shut off valve behind the dryer with a flexible gas connector from the shut off valve to the dryer. Turn the shut off valve off and disconnect the flexible gas connector. There. You're done @ $0. And, dryers are light and very easy to move. Get some Magic Sliders if you are afraid of damaging your floors. The washer is a bit heavier but not at all difficult to slide to where you want it to go.

If you don't have a shut off valve behind the dryer (huge safety code violation!) then having one installed will probably be about a $120 service call for the time needed. It's not a hard job to do either, it's just a bit tricky if you've never worked with gas before. But, it is certainly managable for any DIYer with a good tool collection and who's sense of smell is intact.

• jasoncpe
    17 years ago

I have to disagree. I think that is pretty bad advice.

If the homeowner simply shuts off the gas and leaves the flex hose, and then someone bumps the valve or it starts to leak, someone could really get hurt or worse.

The gas needs to be shutoff at the appliance stop, and then the line properly capped off. By properly capped off, I mean using the same materials as the piping, and with pipe thread sealant approved for gas systems or teflon tape for gas systems. Most plumbers use appropriate thread sealant, and it can be purchased at a home center.

While I am sure this is the intent, none of this is stated in the previous response. A unsuspecting homeowner who is not fully versed in gas code could easily be misled. And while the job is not difficult at all, almost any plumber would do this for the cost of a service call, which depending on location would probably be 50 to $100. Doing it yourself might cost 5 to 10 dollars, a trip to the hardware store for the right pipe cap, thread compound, and gas leak detector solution.

Either way is fine, as long as it is done right! And if there is any doubt, spend the extra dollars...it simply isn't worth the risk. If there is any doubt, call a few plumbers in the local area and simply explain the situation.