Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cj47_gw

Still shoppiong: How important is a Hand Wash cycle?

cj47
12 years ago

I've been researching/shopping washers and dryers, and have pretty much decided on the Electrolux IQ Touch models in the "60" line. I leaned strongly towards the non steam model in the "55" line, but there were just a few features that the model "one step up" had that I liked, so that's where I'm leaning. Oddly, though the model one step down had a "hand wash" cycle, this one doesn't, so I'm posting here to get some opinions. How different is "hand wash" from "delicate" setting on the lowest soil setting and the lowest spin? I'm feeling a little sheepish for even asking--for 20 years I've been OK with three buttons for water level and a turn dial with regular, perm press and delicate settings. And now I'm pondering 'delicate' vs. 'hand wash' settings, and opting for features that I never even knew existed on laundry appliances. Sheesh. :-) I never even knew that washers came with on board heaters, but made sure that all the models I considered had one! I will likely never be as serious about the laundry as many of you here, but I appreciate your opinions, as I'm hoping to maybe do better moving forward, aiming for better results overall. After I've made a final washer/dryer selection, I'll move on to detergent research, and may be back with questions there. You Have Been Warned. :-)

TIA,

Cj

Comments (5)

• georgect
    12 years ago

@cj47...
    The "Hand Wash" and "Delicate" cycles are almost exactly the same between the 50 series and the 60 series.
    The only difference I can see is that the 60 series will not let you choose a high or max spin speed. On the 50 series you can.

The "Handwash" uses 5-11 minutes of wash time where the "Delicate" uses 6-12 minutes.

So you're really not giving up much between the two cycles.

Since you like the features of the 60 series and are leaning more toward that line...go for it. You should be very happy with it.

• cj47
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Georgect. I figured as much, but thought I'd put it out there in case there was something I didn't know or that I hadn't considered. They seem like good machines, so I think I'm going to go for it. Now to wait for the end of year sales, or the next good rebate on them. My Maytag pair is still running, though they're starting to flag a bit. I can be patient.

Thanks again,
    Cj

• georgect
    12 years ago

@cj47...great to hear.

I hope you give us a review here.
    I would love to get your feed back on the Electrolux.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

Could there not also be a difference in the wash rythms? My Miele actually "washes" differently on those two settings.

I believe delicates does some minor tumbling while handwash just sort of swishes back and forth and soaks. Much like a true "hand wash".

• georgect
    12 years ago

@livebetter...
    It looks like it does use different wash rhythms based on this video of an IQ Delicate cycle.
    Link below:

There are longer pauses between tumble direction changes in general as compared to a "Normal" cycle.

In the Delicate cycle, at first the close have more of a tumble action, then later have more of a roll action.
    I also noticed a change in tumble time between "tumble" and "roll tumble". Tumble lasted 10 seconds in each direction where Roll Tumble lasted 7 seconds. Pauses after the regular tumble lasted like 10 seconds but extended to like 20 seconds after a roll tumble...interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: IQ Delicate Cycle Video