Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious Stains on White Clothing LG front load

Posted by jenmenke (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 9, 09 at 15:25

Hi, I've been searching for the answer to this question for months and am hoping to get a few ideas here. I hope someone can help shed some light on this.

We replaced our original Asko Washer and Dryer (circa 1995!) with huge LG Steam units. I can't say for SURE that this started after the switch, but I'm pretty sure. At the very least, it is much worse now.

And here is the issue:
My husband's t shirts, always a problem due to the antiperspirant stains (or bacterial stains according to a poster on this sight!), now have mysterious dark-ish stains all over them, as if something dripped on them, or they were splattered with something. ALL of his white shirts: undershirts, workout shirts, etc.

At first, I figured it HAD to be something he was wearing. We switched his deodorant, he doesn't wear sunscreen or lotion. But it is still happening. When I really started picking apart everything that came out of my white loads, I realized he is really the only person who wears white t shirts. Then, my son got a new white tshirt and suddenly there are stains on that, too. They aren't any specific color. I would just call them a very faint light grey.

Could this be from fabric softener? What else could it be? What should I try?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious Stains on White Clothing LG front load

Is there any way you could post a picture?

The stains are all over the shirt, or just in underarm area?

Your machine isn't one with "Silver Care," is it?

o

I tell you what hapened to me about 3 months ago. I have 2 fls. The smaller one is about 5-6 years old and I use it a lot for hot (194)washes. I don't use detergent dispenser, I just put the detergent straight in drum w/ laundry. But every now and then I check the dispesnser to make sure it's clean. Well, I opened it up and there were small streaks and tiny dots of this black/grey spots and when I touched it w/finger it was smudging and felt greesy,almost like graphite. I was wandering for couple of days and then I unscrewed water hose and saw the little strainer all busted open and w/this black yack on it. So obviously it came in from the water pipe.This washer is hooked only to cold water so it had to come from it. My laundry never got any stains, probably b/c I literally boil my whites out every time.
I did check my other fl(almost 3years old) and there was little of this stuff in the strainer too-the cold water,but the hot water intake had almost nothing in it.
We have city water and I thought it should be cleaner. Can you imagine, we drink this water too?
The other day our tankless died and after conversation w/the guy who will re-install new one, he mentioned that many times the unit is build up w/black greasy stuff after he takes the heat exchanger appart. I told him about the washer and he said he saw it many times.
I don't know if your water might have the same problem but I know I will check the little strainers more often now and have my new tankless flushed more often too to prevent future incidents.

o

I'm wondering if it could be caused by a deteriorating connector hose... aren't they usually black?

Otherwise, it sounds like it could be some kind of mold.

o

I'm having a heck of a time with the photo, but still working on it. My main computer died and is out for service, so everything is sort of chaos. I think the photo will help a lot.

The machines are less than a year old. Could I really have a deteriorating hose? I think the hose is actually a flexible metal...

The grease idea is interesting, but the stains are so faint. You almost can't even see them until you hold them up to a window in the daylight. But then they are everywhere. Knits seem to catch them more than anything.. hence the tshirts and work out shirts. I don't see them on socks, which is weird. I've also never seen them on my light colored sheets...

Will keep working on the photo...

o
more info on mysterious dark stains

oh. one other thing. I spent some time cleaning the machine yesterday. We have two short-haired dogs and therefore clean lots of hair out of the dryer trap. I did find a fair amount of gunk in the washer's door gasket which looked like a combination of lint, dog hair and goo -- most likely undissolved fabric softener. I also ran a "tub clean" cycle with vinegar and then another with bleach. I've only done that once before. At the very least, it smells clean and fresh...

I also do all my white load on "hot" and sometimes "allergy" or "sanitary"

Please see the link for the photos. Don't know how else to do it:

Here is a link that might be useful: gallery with 3 pictures showing stains

o

I looked this problem up in one of my cleaning reference books and here's what I found. Spots like this can be caused my many different things, among them:

• too *little* detergent (what kind/how much are you using?)

• too *much* detergent/fabric softener combined with incomplete rinsing. The products can get lodged in fabric, then become oxidized (usually by a hot dryer), causing blotches

• iron in your water

• soils clinging to synthetic fabrics (Are these shirts 100% cotton?) Polyester is hard to clean, especially items that are worn or used against the skin like t-shirts and pillowcases.

• hard water can make detergents less effective. Loss of cleaning power would be most apparent on white/light clothes

If you know you don't have iron in your water, I'd try:

• a better detergent, using a bit more if you've been using a low dose. Was your Asko a small "European" sized washer? If your new machine has a larger drum capacity you'll probably need to use more detergent than you did with the Asko.

• I'd also try a load with liquid chlorine bleach. If you don't have iron in your water, it can only help. Follow directions on the package

• Adding a water softener if you have hard water. STPP is a great one

• If the shirts aren't 100% cotton, honestly I'd replace them with ones that are.

Here is a link that might be useful: my favorite laundry reference book

o

lots of ideas there!
Yes, drum to LG is probably 3X the size of the Asko. but still. I find myself being cautioned at every turn not to use too much detergent! I use Kirkland Free and fill the little cup up about 1/2 way. I also use Kirkland FS and also fill that cup up about 1/2 way. Water is softened. Slight amount of iron, but softener does a good job (no yellow/orange in toilets, for example). T shirts are 100% cotton. Workout shirts are poly.

Still doesn't really compute... Do you guys think I should contact LG?

o

"I use Kirkland Free and fill the little cup up about 1/2 way. I also use Kirkland FS and also fill that cup up about 1/2 way."

Is that powder or liquid? Is 1/2 of the little cup the recommended dose? Or just half? (I'm not familiar with Kirkland detergents.)

Are you positive that your water softener is removing all of the iron?

Yes, I think contacting LG would be a good idea. You may want to have someone look at your water softener too.

o

My son's three white shirts, all 100% cotton, also have the faint grey splotches on them. I tried an oxy spray and think it lightened the splotches but in the right light, and right angle they are still there. I have fought this problem for years and have never found a solution. It seems to happen when the shirts are older, maybe washed 20 times or more.

o

My son's three white shirts, all 100% cotton, also have the faint grey splotches on them. I tried an oxy spray and think it lightened the splotches but in the right light, and right angle they are still there. I have fought this problem for years and have never found a solution. It seems to happen when the shirts are older, maybe washed 20 times or more.

o

I've had the same type of stains show up. Then I switched detergents from Cheer to ALL--Cheer is becoming very difficult to find in my area stores for some reason. Anyway, I tossed in one of my light pink business shirts that had developed one of those mysterious stains right in the center of the chest after a regular washing with Cheer (pretreated & washed several times after stain showed up but stain would not come out) just to see if the ALL made a difference & low & behold when the cycle was finished the stain was 100% gone! I read on another thread that ALL and Fab detergents have chelating agents in them and so they work differently than other detergents. Also that detergents and pretreaters that don't have the chelating agents can make some types of stains worse. I don't claim to be an expert and I'm not certain that the chelating agent thing has anything to do with it--just conjecture on my part, but I do know that I can wear my light pink shirt again thanks to the ALL detergent!

o

I also have mysterious stains but on all our clothes, not just whites. It is primarily on my childrens clothing, no idea as to why that is. All stains are identical. They are the outline of a cirle and it fits the exact shape and size of the dimples inside the washer drum. The repair man was here this morning and said it has to be something wrong with the washer not something I have done as the store had indicated where we bought it. This washer/dryer set is 2 months old!!! It is ruining my clothes. The only thing he could suggest at this time is that it could be the rear bearing. I would like the appliance store to take it back and give me a new one. We spent $1400 on this set and their bill for all my ruined clothes is adding up. I would love to show you all pictures but I'm not sure how to do. I will let you know what the outcome is.

o

I've been noticing this as well. We purchased LG steam washer/dryer set in April and I've noticed 3 light colored sweaters are gross with grayish discoloration.

Currently using Kirkland HE and fabric softner. Will have to try ALL and see if that helps...this is definitely getting expensive.

o

Have you contacted LG? I'm assuming you didn't take advantage of any sort of premium service plan or extended warranty your dealer may have offered you at the time of purchase. This is just the sort of situation these plans are designed to protect you against for a few bucks a month.

o

@ applianceguypa

My experience with extended warranties is that they are generally a rip-off. On those occasions when someone does want the added protection, do not just buy whatever warranty is offered by the dealer. Do not accept a third party warranty if you can buy one directly from the manufacturer. Extended warranties offered by the manufacturers are usually much better than third party warranties.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here