Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenjenfoofoo

Mysterious Stains on White Clothing LG front load

jenjenfoofoo
14 years ago

Hi, I've been searching for the answer to this question for months and am hoping to get a few ideas here. I hope someone can help shed some light on this.

We replaced our original Asko Washer and Dryer (circa 1995!) with huge LG Steam units. I can't say for SURE that this started after the switch, but I'm pretty sure. At the very least, it is much worse now.

And here is the issue:

My husband's t shirts, always a problem due to the antiperspirant stains (or bacterial stains according to a poster on this sight!), now have mysterious dark-ish stains all over them, as if something dripped on them, or they were splattered with something. ALL of his white shirts: undershirts, workout shirts, etc.

At first, I figured it HAD to be something he was wearing. We switched his deodorant, he doesn't wear sunscreen or lotion. But it is still happening. When I really started picking apart everything that came out of my white loads, I realized he is really the only person who wears white t shirts. Then, my son got a new white tshirt and suddenly there are stains on that, too. They aren't any specific color. I would just call them a very faint light grey.

Could this be from fabric softener? What else could it be? What should I try?

Comments (274)

• Rahela Hussain
    4 years ago

That the cause of this

• Rahela Hussain
    4 years ago

Other clothes didnt get any mark on

• Dixie Johnson
    4 years ago

I have this exact same problem. The grey oily looking stains on light clothes. The stains seem impossible to remove. I never had this problem until I got a front load machine. I have a Whirlpool duet. It is high anxiety every time I wash something new. It seems like the problem comes and goes. I am looking at getting a new top loader. Any suggestions?

• littlegreeny
    4 years ago

Dixie, please tell us more about your routine. What cycles and temperature do you use? And what and how much detergent do you use?

• Nancy Islas
    4 years ago

Back in February of 2015 I commented and asked if there was a solution found. Well, since my comment in 2015, I bought a new machine and I moved to a new house. The grey stains continued. I finally figured out the cause of my grey stains. It is the mousse my daughters and I use. We all have long hair so when you apply the mousse on wet hair and you lean on the wet hair, the mousse ends up on the shirt. At this point, there is no stain. Now once you wash the shirt in the front loader, the shirt comes out of the washer stained. I ran a test. I took a white t-shirt and applied a dab of mousse on it and let it dry. The shirt was not stained. I then ran it in the washer and sure enough, the grey stain was on the shirt. It took me years to figure this out. Apparently this is a known issue with mouse or hair gel and who knows what else. I hope this helps someone.

• nissantun3r
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

This is what was causing our white stains on our boys collar. It was the styling gel. We now use it sparingly or water it down alot. Elasta Qp styling gel

• HU-254411009
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have read through most of the comments and we have experienced the stains ourselves. I think I can explain what is going on here. What we have happening is that our detergents have removed grease from previous loads and that grease has found a quieter area in our machines to accumulate. What happens then is that when someone puts in a load with more powerful grease cutting ability, it causes the built up grease to release into that load and overwhelm that load. The solution for this, the way I see it, is to clean out of the washing machine just as others have suggested works. This washer cleaning must be done periodically as the deposits build on each regular load. Sounds like vinegar has worked for some people. Find a cleaning solution that works for your machine and do it regularly.

• U L
    3 years ago

I have the same problem as all of you with grayish stains splattered all over the whites, but randomly. It may help to clean the soap dispenser by taking it out and cleaning it with bleach and then cleaning the soap dispenser compartment.

• sidneyglover
    3 years ago

Yes, I only use 2/3rds of what they say, otherwise I notice a residue on my hands and the washing. It's all trial and error. Latest thing with our LG is that I can't open the filter chamber at the bottom of the machine to empty out the fluff seeds ! Just another gripe. They don't make them like they used to !

• User
    3 years ago

We have the same issues with brand new LG front loader that we've had less than 2 weeks. This is ridiculous...

• littlegreeny
    3 years ago

@User what LG washer did you get? What detergent and how much of said detergent are you using? What cycle and temp are you using? Post a pic of the stains.

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We've got the TwinWash. The stains showed up after washing on a normal cycle in warm water. I used far less than the "max" level of detergent. I thought maybe the detergent was our issue as others have stated, but, we're using the same HE detergent we've always used when we had a non-HE top loader machine with which my husband and our son would pour detergent directly onto the clothes with no stains showing . I ended up with the same stains on our son's new comforter using the "bedding" cycle. For my husband's shirt, my shirt and our son's comforter (all washed on different days) I had to use Shout stain remover and rewash everything to get the stains out.

• littlegreeny
    3 years ago

You still didn't say what brand detergent you are using. It would also ben helpful if you provided the exact amount you use. I have no idea what "far less than max level" means.

• frustratedmomof3
    3 years ago

Wanted to post a follow up here since this thread still seems to have some traction.

First, @sheryl Landry, the stains I was getting on my white colored clothing would NOT come out no matter what I tried (stain remover, Oxyclean or straight bleach!), so consider yourself lucky if you can get the stains out at all.

Second, and maybe more importantly, since switching to powdered detergent (Costco brand) only (as suggested some time ago by Sea Sea), I no longer seem to get these mysterious stains on white clothing/items. I don’t clean my washing machine on a regular basis either. I use the Afresh tablets when I think about it which is usually not more then 2-4 times per year.

So no liquid laundry detergent, no fabric softener, (seems to equal)...no problems.

• PRO
    modern technology consultant and pools
    3 years ago

It’s still a mystery to me I tried everything and anything still here and there it’s happened so here is my theory

The new crappy he washing machines are setup to use min water there is a sensor in the tank which most people remove because it does not put to much water in large load to even clean proper and it’s so obvious. Horrible concept. The old washing machines are still the best in fully cleaning with good amount of water which my mom still have and there is not stains. So the conclusion is this junk machines that use min water in any type of a load specially larger becomes a problem because we use the crappy he detergents which there is a lot of oil base products in there but it set to dissolve properly which it never does and why is because when you load up the washer and the min drinking water goes in and you have normal full load I’ll say kids clothing for now and when the sprayer pushes the deterrent on the cloths you will get some of them that will have a heavy amount on it which are closest to the sprayer and then your laundry will do it cycle again with all this soap solution and min water I mean you look at it and there is not water inside the drum stupid stupid concept way of saving water but there freeways and every other government property has running water parks got pipe burst for past week we been walking by and I even called them as fav to tell them the water been going of for a week and still no one comes by lol. Anyways so when the machine is done there is still good amount of detergent on some of the specific cloths and when you take them out and put the in dryer what where it comes to bake and leave the nasty stain. The fix for now

1. I removed the sensor for the drum is 1 min mod an now I get decent water in it
    1. Just for added security I use powder detergent and I put it in the drum after the checker starts

It’s the new technology that sucks they didn’t do that math and 90% people who are so sucked into process life no time but for face book and Instagram all day never pay attention and I see Steiner cloths on everyone at park lol and they don’t haven answer to how it got there

• PRO
    3 years ago

Ps if you don’t want to remove the water sensor just add water physically to the drum and I think most of the issue and I may be wrong is the front load drums that have this issue the top loads are ok do to it pattern and process and hold more water which my brother in law has and I see more water in that then mine so next time I get top load and yet it out

• E Smith
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Take out the agitators and you'll see where the grey grease goo is coming from that is staining your clothes. My LG front loader only had one screw that held each of the three agitators in place. This picture is from right after a tub cleaning session. Pull them out before doing the tub cleaning session.

• dbkat
    3 years ago

Well I thought I’d chime in. I have a newer top loader LG washer doing the same thing. It’s done it right from the start. No one seems to KNOW the reason for these stains yet on this thread but I plan on sharing most of your theories With the technician. It has to be the washer in my case because that’s the only thing that has changed.

• nissantun3r
    3 years ago

@dbkat. A member here mentioned some kind of mousse gel or hair product that was causing their issue. It ended up being "Elasta qp styling gel that my son's use. We came to the conclusion because all of the spots were near the front and back collar area. Apparently when mixed with detergent is when the spots form in the wash and leave behind a grey residue where the water and gel meet. Since then we haven't had issue. I too also bought an LG top loader.

• Kat Kemp
    2 years ago

has anyone solved what these stains are? I just got a new machine as we thought the bearings were going on our old one making these light grey/brown marks on clothes and the new machine is leaving the same marks. I’m at a loss what it is?! Whatever I soak/scrub with the stains won’t budge. Some items come out more stained than others and some not at all it seems so random. Any ideas? I thought a new machine would fix the problem but it hasn’t.

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

@Kat Kemp, what temperature, cycle and detergent are you using?

• Kat Kemp
    2 years ago

@littlegreeny 40 degree cottons cycle with fairy non bio liquid

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

@Kat Kemp Fairy is a premium brand but perhaps it's not compatible with your water chemistry. I suggest trying a different detergent. A powder might work better and it looks like Fairy has a non bio powder.

• Kat Kemp
    2 years ago

@littlegreeny I've just bought some powder as it was recommended to be better for the machine but was using the last of the liquid up in the new machine. Hopefully that solves it as I just don’t und it or what the marks are to not come out

• Kat Kemp
    2 years ago

After using washing powder instead of liquid and a new fabric conditioner with the machine on a 40degree cycle it’s still left marks again. I’m absolutely baffled, new machine, new detergent and conditioner, we’ve cleaned and flushed through the stand pipe and still getting marks 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Marie Mole
    2 years ago

I ended up on buying an LG again. This problem happened to be for 15 years on and off. I used different detergents - cleaned my machine manually and electrically diligently and still had the issue. There is a flaw that the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge and deal with. This should not be on the consumer and these aren't isolated instances. It was frustrating and disheartening.
    I have five bedrooms and all the sheets are white so you can well imagine - it was like playing Russian Roulette when I washed them. FWIW I purchased an Electrolux...I just gave up on LG.

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

@Kat Kemp is anyone in the household using body lotion or some other moisturizer? If so, I suggest washing their laundry separately and see if that solves the problem.

• Kat Kemp
    2 years ago

Yes I use some after every shower but have used the same for years with no problems. I do use a prescribed one on my baby though. Is there something in that that could be causing it?

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

Yes, definitely! Try washing the baby clothes separately and if you find the issue resolves itself for all your other laundry you know it’s that baby lotion. If you continue to have the stain issue on the baby laundry while washing separately, you’ll probably need to be more aggressive with your wash routine on those clothes. My first suggestion is to add a prewash and see if that resolves the issue. If not, then a longer, hotter and more aggressive wash cycle should be used, with or without a prewash. Good luck!

• Dixie Johnson
    2 years ago

I ended up having to get a top loader. I'm still not happy with the low water level, but I haven't had a problem with the spotting so far. I really couldn't afford yet another new washing machine but the anxiety I had over just doing the laundry and worrying about another new item being ruined was just too much. This is definitely a manufacture problem that needs to be addressed.

• nissantun3r
    2 years ago

IIIIII

• nissantun3r
    2 years ago

I responded a little over a year ago and found our particular issue. It was the styling gel called Elasta Qp that our kids was using. The grey spots were found usually near the kids collars and were splattered around when the kids hair touched the collars.It seemed it created some kind of reaction with our washing liquid that caused the stains when we threw the clothes in the machine that had contact with this particular gel. We stopped using it after purchasing an LG top loader.

• lbucelli
    2 years ago

I bought a new washer in May, Electrolux Front Loader and am having the same problem with grey spots on white workout shirts. I use Tide with bleach powder detergent, no softener, drain my detergent drawer after each use, & wipe the rubber door lining after each use. There's only 2 of us, and run the machine about once or twice per week. I don't see any mold or gunk. Any suggestions? BTW, I had a Maytag Commercial Top Loader that died after 1.5 years. I do like my Electrolux front loader.

• eve1yn
    2 years ago

I have had this issue of grey stains on light and medium colored laundry (I probably just can't see it on the darks?) on and off for almost 9 years with my front loading LG. Finally bit the bullet and bought a new machine, also a front loading LG despite my reluctance, because the top 7 or so recommended machines by Consumer Reports were front loading LGs! I thought my problem was solved, and on the 32nd day with my new washer, the stains came back. All over ONE of my daughter's shirts (pictured here), but everything else was clean. So mysterious and absolutely maddening. Couldn't believe I had to keep googling grey stains, but found this thread for the first time and FINALLY!!!! Finally I feel like other people know my pain!

@SEA SEA....I saw your comment about living with this nonsense for 12 years...I'm almost at 9 years. Since it's been a few years since you switched to the top loader, do you think the stain problem is officially solved? Wondering whether I should return this machine while it's under warranty and just go for a top loader!!!! Thanks in advance for any advice!

• PRO
    2 years ago

Oh God welcome to the club 🤦‍♂️ Those two issues one yes when the top loader gets more water in there and the oil from the soap actually gets dispense properly because the front loader with this new horrible stupid HE technology it doesn’t take too much water someone to shop sprays on your clothes he doesn’t wash really good because there is more soap than the actual water so what I did on mine is disabled the water sensor or I put heavy clothes in there just to get it to get more water in there because as a sensor that they takes all heavy the clothes are so I put some water in there to make the clothes get nice and soggy and then once it puts water it puts more water in there and another thing is I use powder don’t ever use the liquid H stuff it’s horrible use powder and it’ll illuminate a lot of the problem as well

• PRO
    2 years ago

I’ll make sure you the extra rinse always

• PRO
  • SEA SEA
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

eve1lyn,

Yes, those problems went away and have not returned since we switched over to a Speed Queen TL. We used to get spots like in your photo with our FLers. Ours weren't good ones though. I would think LG is a better washer than ours were. I think the spots might be grunge/detergent build up in between the two tubs--inner and outer.

Try using only powder detergent. Two tablespoons for a while with warm and hot wash cycles before you buy yet another washing machine. See, or ask on this forum if there is a hidden program or a tweek you can do to the washer to get a little more water in there too.

I find here, liquid detergent struggles to properly disolve and wash away within the innards of the washer. Especially with a low water use FL washer. Powder detergent helps alot (here), but learn what your wash temps on your LG are...it can be a surprisingly low temp unless you are using certain cycles. Hope that helps!

Edit to add: In the archives of this forum, there are posts about how LG FL owners were able to turn a screw somthing like a quarter of a turn to increase the water level. I'm not sure if this will be an option on the new models, but I'm hoping it is, for your sake. Also wanted to share that I understand your frustration. But there have been LG owners here who are very pleased with their washers, so I am hopeful that once you learn which cycles and temp options to use for better results in your machine your results will improve. If you use liquid fabric softener, give that up for a while as you use powder detergent. Like Alex above says, turn on extra rinses too. Good luck.

• memschwarz
    2 years ago

Hi! has anyone had luck determining the source of the stain outside of the washing machine?

Our pex pipes are seven years old, our washing machine was replaced five months ago (it stained on the second wash, previous washing machine had stained for about two years), our hot water heater was replaced four months ago… after the change to the water heater, we made it about 3.5 mo with no stains, but they returned recently. We flushed the water heater and the initial water was grey/orange. We had our water tested and the iron is double the recommended amount and turbidity is also high. We just had water tested at the water meter but have yet to receive those results. Has anyone else found that the water/water heater may be related to the issue? (Both washers have been frontloaders: one LG, one Whirlpool; switched to powder detergent -charlies- about a year ago, we have hard water so we added water softener to the machine for about 8 mo but stopped when we saw no improvement). I have never been able to remove the stains. Thanks! appreciate any feedback.

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

@memschwarz the likely culpret for your situation is incompatable laundry detergent for your water chemistry. I suggest trying different detergents until you find one that works.

• memschwarz
    2 years ago

@littlegreeny thanks so much for the response and suggestioningestion.. it has happened with boy tide free liquid he and charlies he powder. do you have a siggestion of the next brand to try? (we have hard water) thanks so much!

• littlegreeny
    2 years ago

Try Tide free powder or All free powder.

• Tracy McQuown
    last year

These spots have been driving me absolutely mad for 5 years now! This thread makes me feel seen. lol We have an LG front loader. It is 10 years old. I have tried everything! There are usually 1-3 pieces that are affected in every other cycle. happens to both white and light colored pieces of differing material. Ive tried everything -different cycle temps, powder vs liquid, very small detergent amounts, running the ”tub clean” cycle with bleach, vinegar, and oxyclean cleaning packets. Everything! I use Tide free and clear, I only wash extremely small loads with level 1 or 2 (cap measurment), wipe the seals down, always keep the door wide open (not just cracked) after every cycle, i promptly take the items out after the cycle ends, etc . It’s so maddening! I get anxiety everytime i run a load. i cant tell you how many brand new kids clothes have been ruined! we dont wear any lotion, sunblock, hair gel, etc. Any advice??? Anyone able to successully get LG to do anything? thank you!

• dadoes
    last year

Liquid detergents can be a cause of tub residue. Switch to a good powder (Tide, Cheer, Gain) for a couple months to see if the problem lessens and/or clears up.

• aleciadarte
    last year

We got a new LG front loader and are having the same spots even on the first load ever. Ruins the clothes completely. They sent a ’repair tech’ who works for LG out who basically just found a bunch of silly things for us to try. None of them worked. They refused to replace the washer I will never buy another LG appliance.

• memschwarz
    last year

On top of all the changes we alreasy made (new washing machine, new water heater, water company testing, etc), we decided to install a house water softener and filter. While the spots have not completely didappeared, they are defintely less frequent. (liquid water softener added to the washing machine did not work). hope this helps!

• littlegreeny
    last year
    last modified: last year

Spots on clothing with a brand new machine are not caused by the machine itself. It's whatever detergent or other additives you are using. Try changing to a different brand.

• btydrvn
    last year

2009 post

• PRO
    last year

New HE technology that doesn’t have enough water stupid leaves stains not enough water modify the water Sensor to get more water snd use powder

• Laundry Mich
    12 months ago

I'm not surprised at all. The Cold Fills from these machines don't always dissolve detergent, causing residue. LG Machines are fairly bad for this.