Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HE detergent for dark clothing?

Posted by ksommer (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 07 at 15:20

Hi there. I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a high-efficiency detergent specially made for dark and black clothing. I have recently purchased a machine that requires HE detergent only, and I am having to give up my Woolite for dark/black clothing detergent. I have used a HE detergent made for all types of clothing; however, I am already noticing that my black clothing that has stayed really black with the Woolite is fading. Also, I read on the Woolite site that I shouldn't use Woolite that isn't HE in my machine even if I use a smaller amount, so that won't work. Anyone found an HE detergent for black clothing? Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HE detergent for dark clothing?

The main problem with black/dark clothing is the optical brightening agents (OBAs) in many detergent formulations nowadays. It literally causes fabric to fluoresce slightly under light, which causes an unnatural glare or sheen to darks. It looks like fading, but probably isn't really. Washing with detergent that doesn't have OBAs may clear it up.

o

Cheer liquid does not have OBAs and comes in an HE formula. Dye free detergents like All Free and Clear, also available in an HE formula, may help.

Reducing the wash time or selecting a more gentle cycle may help reduce the amount of fading too.

Joe

o

Unless you wash just tons of black/dark clothes I would just use my Woolite for darks and cut it back. It's not like you will be using it for every load and with all other loads you will be using your HE detergent. I would give the Woolite Dark a try. I think you will be fine--at least that is what I would do. Believe me I doubt it could be any sudsier than some of the HE liquids I have used. Some of those are VERY foamy,about as much as the regular versions.

o

You could use Woolite HE. If you don't see it in your area, you can order online.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: Woolite HE near bottom of page

o

Persil (from German company Henkels) is available in formulations for whites & bright colours (with optical brighteners), for dark colours (without optical brighteners), and a special formulation called "Perwoll Black Magic" just for blacks. You can order through Amazon, or do a google search and you'll find dozens of other sellers.

It's a bit pricey, but it's very concentrated, so a little goes a long way. Use half as much as the label instructions indicate -- or less (the instructions are intended for European users where the water is very, very hard).

I've used Persil for years with very good results.

Here is a link that might be useful: Persil at Amazon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here