Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gary1001

50 Amp Wall Plug, 30 Amp Dryer

gary1001
15 years ago

I was just given a new Whirlpool dryer and it has a 30 amp plug, but the outlet in my wall is a 50 amp plug. Can I use a converter (and if so, what type) to make the plugs match, or do I need to call an electrician and have my 50 amp plug in my wall converted to 30 amp?

Comments (5)

• dadoes
    15 years ago

The outlet can be changed easily. The important point is what is the breaker on that circuit? If it's also 50 amp, it'll have to be changed to 30 amp or the dryer won't be properly protected. If a problem occurred with the dryer (shorted element or motor), a 50 amp breaker would allow too much current flow before it trips.

• wa8b
    15 years ago

It would be very unusual for there to be a 50 amp outlet in a dryer location. 50 amp outlets are more typical in locations set up for large electric ranges or other appliances that draw a great deal of power. Are you sure it's a 50 amp outlet? What size is the circuit breaker that controls the outlet in question?

Are you by any chance confusing 3-prong and 4-prong outlets as being 30 amp and 50 amp outlets? If that's the case, you can simply change the plug on the dryer to conform with your outlet. Until a few years ago, most dryer outlets were set up for 3-prong plugs. Subsequently, the electrical code was changed for new installations, requiring outlets set up for 4-prong plugs. Both types, however, are rated for 30 amps.

• karmabunny
    15 years ago

I have this same problem... a 50 amp outlet in the wash room..and I just bought a 30 amp dryer.it's a rental house..go figure.
    The question is.. how do I change these out? I had someone that was going to do it but they don't seem to have the time to come. I need help!

• Sandi McClary
    6 years ago

I have a similar problem..... 30 amp breaker, 50 amp 3 prong range receptacle (third prong must be straight rather than L shape), and I have a new 4 prong 30 amp dryer. I bought a 3 prong pigtail for the dryer before I realized that it would not fit the receptacle. Now I don't know what to do. Will this require an electrician to change the receptacle?

Thank you!!

• fordtech
    6 years ago

If it is a 30 amp breaker it would appear they simply installed the wrong receptacle and you just need to replace it with the correct one for your 3 wire pigtail. Just make sure it is on a 30 amp breaker. My concern is if this was installed by an electrician or a home owner and did they use correctly sized wiring. It must have at least awg 10 sized wiring. If it was actually wired for 50 amp it would have had awg 6 wiring likely which would be fine and just gives added protection from overheated wiring. Replacing the receptacle is relatively simple but make SURE the circuit breaker is switched off and test to make sure all power is gone on all legs. The best answer would be to call an electrician and have it rewired for 4 wire operation for the added safety of the separate ground and neutral circuits and future safety of the home laundry. That may not be practicle for your personal needs. You will have to decide that one.