Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fastonetime

Anyone own Samsung wa456drhdsu TL

fastonetime
11 years ago

Having issues already with my LG wt4870. It's starting to shake violently and hitting the sides and not stopping. Called sears and they offered this model but in the grey color. wa456drhdsu. Anyone have this machine. How is it? I'm reluctant to go with any TL after all this shaking. But that's what they offered.

Comments (28)

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Neighbor has new one of those. Went from regular Kenmore to this Samsung. She likes it but then she isnt hard to please. I think the Samsung would handle the off balance better simply due to the brackets are metal that hold the tub in place. Have another friend with the TL Samsung went from 30 year old Maytag to this and she likes hers. Was telling her about the "explosions" with the LG's and she said her SSung stops when it is off balance cause she said it did it one day with jeans. If I was going to get a TL HE machine I would get the SSung simply for the metal brackets holding the tub. Just seems sturdier. Not sure what holds the Wpools and Bravos tub-metal or plastic.

One thing I dont understand about the LG problem, they made the GE Harmony for years for GE and you never heard of any problems, rarely, and then it wasnt flying apart. I dont know if they used some other brackets or what but very few negatives on Harmony that I know of...

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sparky I hate this WT4870. I usually wash in hot or warm and every wash so far has defaulted to cold and I cannot figure it out. I was washing towels on hot and the water was ice cold. Same thing with my comforter. Chose hot, was ice cold. I even ran the taps till it came out hot hot. Ugh so disappointed. Sears will yet deliver another washer next Thursday. The Samsung. Was also reading how it has metal brackets. Hope that helps with the vibrations too. This lg is stupid. When you choose a cycle it says the time remaining. Lets say 54 minutes. Well when I push start the time automatically goes to 110 minutes when it starts to fill. That sucks. It tricks you. Every cycle is like that. The speed was I think is 35 minutes. Then I pushed start and it went to 44 minutes. So stupid I am so mad!

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sparky I read online that the aqua jet feature. Like the wave force on the lg, leaked for some people. Does your friend have the washer that has the aqua jet ? Also I read the manual for this washer and it says the washer need to enter a calibration mode before any washing is done. Do you think people didn't do this and that's why it leaks?

• sparky823
    11 years ago

I saw on you tube a woman complaining she couldnt get warm water with her LG. I really dont think that is a fault of LG though. Seems to be the default with all brands from what I read. Just throw the clothes in select cycle and walk away. Come back 2 hrs later and transfer clothes. This way you dont know whether it was hot, cold, warm, short cycle, long cycle or what, just finished. LOL

I would stop worrying over this kind of thing. Honestly, if I had two small kids and been diagnosed with a heart condition, the LAST thing I would be worrying about is how hot/warm my wash water is. If it bothers you that much,the stress may affect your heart-Just saying.

In years to come, I believe they will cut hot water out all together and be only cold fills--maybe with a heater. JMO

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

I suppose Sears won't give you your money back?

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sears gave me 125$ for my troubles. But that's all. Just offered replacements under the warranty. Hope the Samsung is better.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

I asked about the Aqua Jet. She says she has used it. She just said it seems to run "a little longer in wash/rinse" but I am telling you she doesnt stay in there with hers. She did say that she has watched it for a while but that the lid fogs up and after that you cant see so hers must add some hot water. She has not mentioned anything about it leaking with the Aqua Jet and she has had a housefull of company during Thansgiving and they washed a lot cause they were all out of town-ers.We all had dinner last weekend and talked about our "company" plus company coming for Xmas and she mentioned no leaks or problems. She doesnt pay much attention to what it does when it is running but she would notice water in the floor for sure!

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

First thing you should do is throw a wet pair of jeans in the Sammy and set it for a spin cycle...

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lol y

• sparky823
    11 years ago

I looked at some of the reviews today and they are really good I think---at least where I looked. I did see a few about the leak and the Aqua Jet but one also said it leaked without AJ and then worse when using AJ. Neighbor--No leaks.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Was at sears today and I played with this model. It's sturdy'r than the Lg I have. I rocked it side to side and it was strong. My lg has give when rocked back and forth. And all the feet are level. The feet on the Samsung ate wider. More beefy. The tub on the Samsung feels more stable when I push it or turn the tub around. It feels heavy. The tub on the lg is really light and moves easily, therefore I think creating unnecessary vibrations and banging. The Samsung tub feels like the top tub cover is heavily weighted. The LGs doesn't feel this way. Samsung feels better made. Honestly.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Have you watched the you tube where the guy shows the inside (brackets etc) of his Samsung and explains why it is better--at least to him). Does seem like a better way to hold up all the weight. I like the way that Waveforce works but they just need to make some improvements in a few other areas seems like.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes. They need to fix the hot wash that's ice cold. The weird time differences. How can you show a cycle time then when I push start add 10 more minutes? I didn't select any options! Plus the banging sucks. It won't stop itself until the banging gets so bad, that the wahers walking per say.

If I unplug the washer, let it sit 10 minutes then I get a half tub of hot water, then the other half ice cold. Few cycles later it defaults back to ice cold on the hot cycle. Only when I unplug and let it sit will I get half hot half cold. Weird.

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

About the brackets. Looking at that YT video where the guy compares the struts and brackets and looking at a company-internal presentation by GE on the GE-branded WaveForce... the struts look pretty much the same (between Samsung and LG). Only the brackets are different: thick plastic on the LG and thinner steel on the Sammy.

Don't know if it's really just due to the brackets being different. Will watch some YT vids tomorrow to and have a look at some of the exploded LGs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Presentation (must turn AdBlock off to download)

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes the brackets on the exploded lg wave forces that I saw were all cracked and broke under the pressure.

• sparky823
    11 years ago

W/pool Tr.-As I said in a post earlier, why is it that LG built the Harmony for GE for years and you never heard of a bunch of problems with those. Were they better built or what?

Be intersting to see how the new HE top load from Frigidaire does--the washing may not be much better but from what I have seen the spin system(balance suspension) is more like their old top load agitator style instead of these that hang from the top. I would think they should handle off balance better.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sparky yes I wonder to about the fridgidare. I just took a look at the harmonys. Same tub as mine and everything. They didn't have these issues? Maybe the sensors were different or the control board? Am washing what I can now without the lg going bonkers. It seems it only gets up to the 1100 rpm speed on certain loads. Almost every loads spin has been very slow and the clothes come out damper than with a FL that I had that had 1200 rpm speed. It seems the washers new updates sure slowed things down to avoid explosion. But I don't like it.

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What does consumer reports say about this washer? Anyone?

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Not sure about CR. The Frigidaire has a slower spin I guess because the tub is plastic? I rather have wetter clothes than a room (or me) torn up from a machine exploding.

Everything I read about Harmony was mainly positive. Never read of one exploding. Everyone who reviewed them seemed well pleased.

You should just get you a new Speed Queen...OR better yet a vintage Maytag. No bumpin/grinding/shakin.

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

Oh my, you're right! I re-watched the videos of the exploded WaveForce and most of the times the brackets went almost missing! Weird. The shocks on my Duet are mounted to a plastic tub and the washer's plastic base - yet, I never heard of any of them blowing apart.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Suspension on my Duet

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think the software is bad on the LGs Alex, or the sensors. I washed a load of jeans last night and when starting spin it banged for about 30 seconds, didn't one time stop, kept going until finally the banging went away. But when the spin ended, the tub banged right before it stopped. Hate it and I made sure the load was even and the spin speed was default medium and I left it that way. Could you imagine how much more Intense it would have been if I'd chosen a higher speed!

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just received the Samsung 456 and am totally in love. Quieter than the LG. better quality. No vibrations. The aqua jet works perfectly on medium to small loads. Water is actually hot. The aqua jet feature is pretty neat. I like it. It seems to direct the water back to the middle of the load with force. Water level is actually right. Just barley covering the loads. Lg used way to much water. Maybe that's why it has the problems of the violent behavior ?

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Water level baby blankets

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Washer

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Look metal supports!

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So I did a few loads and here's what I really like.

The aqua jet feature seems to work with only a half full or small load. I washed a load of towels today and chose the aqua jet option, the washer filled up almost to the top with water, I had many towels. The aqua jet did not work with this amount of clothes/water. And if it would have i really feel it would have leaked as others have.

The aqua jet feature comes on three times, a few minutes into the wash. The washer spins the drum quickly making the water fall, for about 20 seconds, then comes to a stop, the clothes are full of suds at this point, then it does this again two more times, before finishing the wash, but right before the inse cycle, the washer does the aqua feature again three more times. It's not constant through the whole cycle. Also it happens in the rinse, three times. It's really neat, just wished the waher had a tub light!

The spin speed is down from the LG wt4870, 1000 Rpms instead of 1100 on the LG. but the spin cycle on the Samsung seems faster and the clothes are dryer than the spin cycle on the lg. I think it's because the lg pauses during the spin cycle, as the Samsung keeps the spin the whole cycle, no pauses.

The whole machine just seems better built, more stable than the LG. quieter too. I like it. And the hot is hot! The booklet says hot is between 105 and 125!

• fastonetime
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all. The aqua jet started to leak on a few cycles today. Don't really want to exchange it. Would like to wait for a updated part. The top tub cover that allows the water to fall seems to be the problem. The gab between the tub and top cover is to thick. Depending on the load the water will be forced up and over the drum. The tub top cover needs to be redesigned to allow water to fall into the tub no mater what.

Question. The stator and rotor I think, the copper wires looking thing looks like it got splashed a little during the cycle. Can a little water damage these parts?

• GregRod
    11 years ago

Hi...

We own a WA456drhdsu TL.

We've had the washer and dryer for about 2 weeks now. So far both have worked as advertised.

We use the AquaJet Feature on every load. We have not had a leak. We noticed at first that the AquaJet only worked on medium to small loads as well. However, we realized that one cause of this was that we were changing the spin speed from the factory setting on Heavy Duty loads.

I think this is do to the so called "Fuzzy Logic" built in to the controls.

The best bet is to select from the dial and then you can only change the water temp and soil level. Leave the spin as programmed.

I figured this out by washing the same load twice. First I changed the spin on a Heavy Duty load. The tub spun but Aquajet did not work when I changed the spin to Medium. Re washed the same load on heavy duty and left the factory settings...Aquajets worked.

I have read that the AquaJet feature has leaked (overflowed) as well but in about 12 -15 loads so far...its been perfect.

Call for service on the leak issue. My guess is overtime, water will corrode those wires.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022