Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mskathyny

Where do you put the detergent in a Bosch washer?

mskathyny
12 years ago

This may be one of the dumbest questions posted but I have an explanation: we just moved into our renovated apartment (thanks GW, for tons of info in the course of the reno!) and I can't find the owner's manual for the washer. It's a Bosch WAS2016UC. I downloaded the manual from Bosch but still can't figure it out! There are three compartments in the pull-out dispenser: the left one has a "II" mark, the middle one has a sort of flower mark and the right one has "I" on it. Does anyone know where is for what? (I think the middle one is for fabric softener.) Also, can you use liquid bleach? And, if so, where does that go? (In my search for this information I've been really horrified to read about all the negatives experiences with this washer due to mold and smell. I am really hoping for the best here. The new GE OTR micro has a "broken computer panel" and the KA DW was a nightmare getting into place. I'm kind of at my wits end.) Thanks to all for any info.

Comments (25)

• mskathyny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much, dadoes!! You saved the day for me. (I assume you don't use bleach? Or only powdered bleach in the II compartment?) Have a lovely, clean, holiday!

• Terry Nostrebor
    7 years ago

I signed up just to comment on this question, which I also faced as someone renting an apartment with this washer installed.

As a graphic designer, I absolutely despise when companies make products that use icons that have no clear direction. Why on earth would someone put I or II instead of "DETERGENT?" Waze is also guilty of this, with one of the most unfriendly GUIs for an app that I have ever seen. Where is this? How do I do this? Oh, I guess I'm just supposed to figure it out via trial and error.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If you do one or two hot washes each week, use powder detergent and leave the washer door and detergent drawer open mildew smell is unlikely. Also, don't use cheap fabric softener and then as little as possible.

I've had 3 different FLs and no mildew in any of them.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Roc..I don't think it matters on FS brand..they all use animal fat. LOL.

• rococogurl
    7 years ago

@pinky - yeah, animal fat is just what I want all over my towels LOL. Do believe Ecover is plant based. I picked it up on the fly at the health food because the fragrance was OK. Pinky, I'd love you to try it and get your opinion. Will send you some. I think it gives great results. It's my new first choice.

• kartbala
    7 years ago

Ditto: disappointingly lackluster design. This video was actually pretty helpful -- it's an an 8 minute demo on both the Bosch Axxis washer and dryer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdhi0ezne8

• Marina F Ochoa
    7 years ago

Hi where do I put the Clorox in the Bosch washer

• georgect
    7 years ago

If your detergent draw has this symbol

Put it in that compartment.

Otherwise it will be labeled with the word "Bleach".

If there is no compartment for it then you shouldn't use it.

• livebetter
    7 years ago

Bosch doesn't have one for bleach if I recall correctly.

• Leanne Smith
    6 years ago

Thanks kartbala, the video was indeed very helpful. I just bought a 2nd hand Bosch, but unfortunately the downloaded manual has the symbols "cut off" so you can't tell which is which. I actually thought you put the washing liquid in the right compartment, not the left (despite dadoes comment), so the video was great to watch and get clarification. Thanks all, and thanks to mskathyny for the question - clearly not a dumb one after all!

• KD
    6 years ago

Re: front loading washers and smells - we also run it once a month-ish with just hot water and a good slug of vinegar. Helps prevent detergent residue build up.

• Leanne Smith
    6 years ago

Thanks PirateFoxy, good to know :)

• Sukhy Mander
    6 years ago

I'm confused which is the washing power and which is softener?! How can they not explain this to people like who are clueless?? Please help

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Detergent is the left-side open compartment, with icons of powder or liquid in a measuring cup above it.

Softener is the flower-looking icon in the middle.

The right-side bottle and liquid-drop icons presumably is chlorine bleach .... or it could be liquid detergent for a prewash. Best to check the instruction manual to confirm which.

You don't have an instruction manual for the machine? Majority of manufacturers have them available at their web site via model number search.

• Jeffrey Caban
    6 years ago

In my Bosch Nexxt I always put my powdered detergent right in the tub. I let it run with no clothes and let it mix with the water for about 20 seconds and then add clothes.

Jeff

• penny804
    6 years ago

Can you use laundry pods, in this washer? If so, does pod go in the far left compartment?

• georgect
    6 years ago

Penny804...all pods go directly into the washer, NOT the detergent drawer.

• HU-9735916843921569
    5 years ago

Boooo, you have to sign up to view answers. Thumbs down and no thank you

• HU-761625579
    5 years ago

Thanks for this question and answers. I just bought a second hand Bosch Maxx from my sister and is my first front loader. I agree with Terry re symbols instead of words to show what to do. Nuts!

• Alan Snell
    5 years ago

Same issue here in Honolulu with a Bosch washer. So it goes, Pre-wash, main wash and Bleach? What detergents are pre-wash? I pour softner im the 3rd compartment as it goes straoght into the washer. Usually dont bother with the middle or II compartment. Any specific help. I also pour bleach in the 3rs compartment or mix with the 1st compartment.

• Marla Weiss-Walko
    5 years ago

I just bought this washer & dryer unit. and no I couldn't figure out the icons for detergent.

1. DO NOT USE BLEACH! it warns U against it

instead use OXI product or plain 325 gm Asprins (10 crushed or dissolved ahead & added directly to load)

also use plants based products. I Use MELLALUCA products and love them! cheaper product worse the mildew mold smells...yuk

thanks for helping me find my detergent compartment.

• Stephen Ruggieri
    4 years ago

You can search the web for the PDF manual

• susan Taylor
    2 years ago

I have used pods in mne and thrown them in becaue of this very issue. Where are their beta testers? I get icons becasue they cross the language barrier, but they could use icons that would give you a hint at what they were. Bubbles maybe. Not to mention the fact that they are not marked in color. Most of these stackers are in basememts or closets where light is poor. I can't see the raised design at all. I had to take a flash photo and try to discern which was which when I wanted to rinse my whites with vinegar. It would cost them a buck to print the use in three languages above the wells. Come on. Bosch. Get with it.

• Cavimum
    2 years ago

My new (not a Bosch) washer has marks for each product to add that are embossed on the same plastic as the detergent drawer. All the same color, like the Bosch model discussed here and impossible to see. My solution was to use a Sharpie pen to indicate the detergent drawer on the top of the tray.