Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas dryer advise

Posted by ruthz (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 14:15

We just had to buy a new washing machine in November, now our gas dryer is working but not getting hot.
It's pretty old so we're thinking we should just get a new affordable one.
We're not looking for expensive top of the line stuff.
Just something that can handle a lot of use and last more than a few years.
Our old washing machine was Whirlpool (lasted about 4 to 6 years) and we went with a new GE.
Old dryer is Kenmore and is probably 10 to 15 years old.
I know they don't make them like that anymore.
What would you recommend??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas dryer advise

Gas dryers are really pretty simple devices if you don't need to have the models with retracting fingers to fluff pillows and that special clothes-folding feature. :-)

Seriously, unless there is some feature (like sensor drying) that your Kenmore does not have that you really want, you may be best off either having someone look at your present dryer to figure out if it can be repaired economically, or you might just want to buy a dryer second-hand.

There are people who remodel and get rid of perfectly-serviceable appliances. I've done well buying used appliances from a trusted local independent appliance dealer. They've been refurbished by someone who knows how to fix them and they come with a warranty. I'm comfortable buying them because they'll scrap or cannibalize the ones which require too much work or are unlikely to last the warranty. I get 'em "like they used to build them" at a fair price, so it's a pretty decent deal.

o

Dryer about 10 - 15 years old? it's probably just the igniter.
It's not a hard repair and can be done by a handy home owner

o

Good point by Jakvis. Also check that your duct carrying the hot air from the dryer out of the house isn't clogged anywhere along the line, either with lint, or leaves (the louvers on the outside). People report remarkable improvement in drying time when duct is cleared out.

o

It's easy fix, it's the gas valve solenoid.
A Philip head screwdriver and 20 minuets is all it takes.

Here is a link that might be useful: gas valve solenoid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here