Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Olive oil stains

Posted by sharon_s (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 07 at 14:08

Well, I was cooking while wearing a new shirt, of course--never happens to the old ones, and forgot to put on an apron. Sure enough, I got splashed with a bunch of olive oil and I can't get the stains out of the shirt.

I washed once with detergent rubbed into the stain and used a spray stain treater then hung the shirt to dry. Stains are still there. Any thoughts? Would dishwashing detergent work better? I'd hate to throw out the shirt; I really like it.

Thanks!

Sharon S.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Olive oil stains

Dawn for dishes. Spot treat each stain--toss it into the laundry. If you have a FL you may need to cut back on the detergent to prevent over sudsing--depends on how badly splattered the shirt is. Line dry after washing. May take more than one attempt...but I've had great success with the above treatment for all sorts of oil-based stains.

Dawn is what the wildlife rescuers used to clean up the seabirds and seamammals after the Valdez spill. It's an amazing surfactant.

o

Try dawn first, that's what we use. If that doesn't work, try shampoo for oily hair!

o

Thank you both! I'll give it a try. If the Dawn doesn't work, I'll try the shampoo, compumom.

S

o

Try rubbing on cornstarch. It absorbs oil.

o

The Dawn worked! Yay! My shirt is saved.

ebear, I'll keep the cornstarch in mind the next time I have a fresh oil stain (and I know there will be a next time!). I bet that would help reduce what I had to work with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here