Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beanwabr

Purex Crystals fabric softener safe for HE?

beanwabr
13 years ago

I've seen this at Walmart but didn't purchase yet. Anyone tried it?

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.purex.com/products/fabric-softeners/purex-complete-crystals

Comments (18)

• xhappyx
    13 years ago

I am too curious about these. I just read a blog where they were discussing them.

http://buriedinlaundry.blogspot.com/2010/12/giveaway-purex-complete-crystals.html

Apparently you add these to the beginning of the wash cycle? I am just curious as to how they work and if they work well.

If anyone has used them please pipe in and let us all know how you liked them and your experiences with them.

• srf122
    13 years ago

Just tried it on three loads I did tonight... I used All Free and Clear a 1/2 cup of borax and a 1/2 cap of the crystals... Everything was very clean and smelled really good. Everything was soft but it was a different type of soft, not like regular softener. The ingredients are strange and I don't know how they would relate to softness, but then again I don't work for Henkel. If I keep using the product, I'll stay with free and clear detergent, I'm not sure how the crystals would effect or combine with the scent of other detergents. So far so good, next will be on towels...

• beanwabr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I answered my own question; I checked the last time I was in the store and yes, it is HE compatible.

srf122: which scent did you end up going with and how did your towels come out?

• srf122
    13 years ago

I bought the Tropical Escape scent... I used hot water with the towels and you could smell the load while it was washing from across the room. They turned out pretty nicely.

Steve

• nerdyshopper
    13 years ago

xhappyx and beanwabr, your links seem to be to some Purex insiders, which I don't feel are independent reviewers and I don't trust their reviews. I would like to be sure that anyone who posts a review here is truly unbiased. Insiders seem to get free Crystals from Purex.

• srf122
    13 years ago

I got mine at Walmart, I picked them up before I even got the email that said they had been introduced... I just moved my cat into the house I just bought and she ended up with a urinary tract infection that had the poor thing peeing everywhere and on everything. So mine was simply me trying to de-stink everything that had cat pee on it. The crystals along with enzyme deodorizer and borax plus detergent did the trick...

• nerdyshopper
    13 years ago

mf122: Your experience sounds good, Please keep us posted on the performance when you use it alone with detergent. We need a good non-oily/waxy softener. I wonder what the 8% non-natural content is tho. Could you read the label on yours as give us a list to ingredients?

• srf122
    13 years ago

Sucrose (sugar)
    Bentonite (clay)
    Peg Disterate (Bending agent)
    Fragrance
    Sanolin Yellow (color)
    Vitasyn Orange (color)

• nerdyshopper
    13 years ago

Looks like the Peg Disterate is the main active fabric softener. I recall seeing Peg as the prefix of some other ingredients in detergents or shampoos/hair conditioners somewhere. May be related. I'm a chemist but not that kind.

• threebees
    13 years ago

peg stands for polyethylene glycol - used as a thickener / emulsifier in shampoos, conditioners, hair gels, etc.

• dsix_bresnan_net
    13 years ago

we used these in a cold water wash and the crystals were still in the washer tub at the end of the cycle. are they formulated for hot water wash only???

• elbits
    13 years ago

I used some last night on some sheer curtains and they were full of static!

• gates1
    13 years ago

Inever had a problem with using them in cold water, mine dissolved all the way, as far as static goes, I havent noticed it, but I dont live in a dry climate, but heard other complain about it.

• nsaids_nurse420 Kirker
    13 years ago

i really liked them. i have an he washer. the laundry was soft without static and smelled fresh.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

we love them used them with our old top loader and now with the new Samsung FL. Just takes a tiny amount added right in with the detergent in the drawer. Gives a very light clean scent and really makes the clothes soft and fluffy. I have been very impressed with the crystals. I got the blue bottle fresh spring waters. I use them in hot, warm and cold and never have seen any remains left behind.

• samanthayoung24
    7 years ago

itgeek - can you tell me if pure crystals are safe to use in my miele touchtronic w 4840 washing machine?? thank you much for your time

• larsi_gw
    7 years ago

These are 100% safe to use in ANY washing machine. These crystals are naturally based and 100% dissolve in all water temps!!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone