Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fabric softners and septic systems

Posted by capecodcook (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 29, 06 at 12:41

I would appreciate any factual information anyone has on the effect of fabric softners on septic systems/fields. It sure seems ot gunk up the inside of the dispenser after a while and I'm wondering what it does to a septic tank or leaching field.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fabric softners and septic systems

Use fabric softener sheets instead of liquid!
Use liquid detergent instead of powder!

o

Ditto
Ditto

Use a lint screen on any waste water coming from your washer before it hits the ejector pump to your septic system.

o

capecodcook,

Most fabric softener is just like putting hamburger grease down the drain. With a handful of exceptions, the liquid fabric softeners you buy in the supermarket or at a big box store are petroleum based.

If you have a good colony of bacteria and enzymes in your septic, they will eat those lipids and break them into smaller organically absorbable compounds... eventually... maybe.

The plant based fabric softeners - i.e. soy or coconut - such as Method (at Target), Seventh Generation and the now defunct Downy Advanced are generally easier for the septic colony to digest since the plant fat/lipid molecules aren't as complex as the petroleum based ones. (Sort of like the difference between unsaturated fats and saturated fats.)

As long as you use limited amounts of plant derived softener and feed your septic colony (i.e. with something similar to Rid-X, Bioprime, etc.), you should be fine. You're not putting anything down the drain that isn't passing out your colon already.

- IT Geek

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here