Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzzmiller

Clorox Washing Machine Cleaner?

Don
9 years ago

Anyone use this product? With it costing a little as $4 for 5 doses, it's much less expensive than the Affresh I use now.

Comments (11)

• sparky823
    9 years ago

I have used it. For me, you are as well off to just use Clorox Bleach and a lot cheaper in the long run. JMO

• moviegeek
    9 years ago

Clorox Washing Machine Cleaner has bleach(disinfects) and lye(dissolves organic material), it works but it's expensive compared to a bottle of bleach.

https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-washing-machine-cleaner/

As for the powdered washing machine cleaners(Tide, Affresh, etc) all they do is make the washer smell fresh, they don't disinfect.

• Don
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How is forty cents per use expensive? The product is not just bleach.

Since I use the sanitary cycle weekly I probably don't have much to disinfect, but there may be specific residue build up on unseen surfaces that these products may remove.

• adoptedbyhounds
    9 years ago

I have a ten year old Kenmore front loader that developed an odor problem a few years ago. I used one of the products made to clean up the odor, and since then I've just used the sanitary cycle to wash towels once or twice a week. I use chlorine bleach for in that cycle. The odor problem has never returned. Not even once.

• mightyquinnaty
    9 years ago

You might want to ask yourself why you would need to use a washing machine cleaner in the first place. If it is leaving residue in your washer, imagine what it is leaving on your clothes?

• gigim
    9 years ago

I had the stink problem in my front loader. I researched all over this site and tried just about everything. None of the "cleaners" did anything that lasted and who has time or money to do it every week. When I switched to powdered laundry detergent I saw that after a few weeks the smell was gone. I still leave the washer open for about 24 hours after my last load of weekly laundry and I use the minimal amount of the powder, ignoring the amount listed on the directions for use, usually about 1 - 2 Tablespoons. I think Tide with Bleach Alternative is the best. I also try to wash my towels in hottest setting as my last load of the bunch. Hope this helps - seemed too simple to me but I finally have a laundry room that does not smell like nasty mold.

• emma
    9 years ago

I use Purex Triple Action laundry detergent for my whites and they are as white or whiter than when they were new.

• larrylees
    9 years ago

Don't use bleach to clean machine. Use 1/4 cup borax with your laundry detergent every time you wash instead. This will allow you to use less detergent. In two weeks odors will be gone. I'm a property manager. This works. Borax works for smelly drains too. Add 1/4 cup at end of day when you're done using the drain and also when you leave town on a trip. In a week your odor will be gone.

• beaglenc
    9 years ago

The owners manual that came with my Bosch said to use either a half or a cup of LCB on the normal cycle on hot. But most times I would use the Kids Care cycle, the water was hotter. But now with the SQ, I don't worry so much about it.

• Don
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One function of a tub clean cycle is to throw the treated wash water on the upper area of the outer drum. In a regular cycle, wash water only hits the upper outer drum on the spin. For machines using too little detergent, there is little cleaning ability remaining by the time of the spin: The detergent added has been used up by the soil in the laundry. So in this case the outer drum is exposed to dirty wash water, essentially without surfactants, at the end of a regular wash cycle. Not a good way to keep the outer drum clean.

Washing soda (sodium carbonate) should be a better machine cleaner than borax. It was the cleaner often recommended before specialized products like Affresh came on the market. The lye in the clorox washing machine cleaner probably serves the same purpose as washing soda. It's a strong, water soluble alkali that turns fats into soaps. Borax has antimicrobial properties, but probably doesn't strip much of the film on which the bacteria lives on the outer drum and other surfaces. Borax is best used for boosting the performance of detergents and bleach, especially in hard, warm water.

Clorox machine cleaner is recommended to be placed in the bleach dispenser, which I don't like. But washing soda in the main detergent dispenser, and clorox cleaner in the bleach dispenser, is probably a very good tub cleaner.

I don't know why they want the Clorox product in the bleach dispenser. But if I had seen that instruction before purchase, I would not have bought the product.

• dieseldame
    9 years ago

I maintain Whirlpool and LG equipment in a psych hospital and owned a !very! early LG FL. Never had smell issues in my own LG, never had a need to look at îts interior hoses. Both brands now use corrugated internal hoses. Older machines used formed rubber hoses, smooth inside walls. The buildup I see is in the hoses, not the tub.

The washers get a clean cycle once a month run by our housekeepers. Before we started tub cleaning, those hoses were !gross! We started with Affresh tablets, which did a good job of cleaning out the old buildup. We changed to Tide powdered cleaner 6 months ago... I spent half a day last week with 2 washers that were leaving nasty deposits on clothes. I ran 2 clean cycles and a test load for each washer.

The tub clean doesn't use hot water, so I used bulky/large cycle, hot wash, heavy soil for the second cleaning. My test loads came out clean, but the afternoon was a huge waste of time.

Rubber internal hoses would stop the problem in its tracks, but I'm sure they would make the washers more expensive, since they must be formed when they're made.

We use liquid Tide, which won't change because we use automatic dispensers, but I've recommended going back to Affresh tabs and using the alternate settings.

Hope there's useful info here for y'all.