Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
csaphoenix

HE washer laundry smells, not the machine

CSAPhoenix
12 years ago

Hello, all, I've used this forum in the past and have gotten good information from it. Now I am hoping for some ideas for getting my clothes clean.

My HE washer history is:

10 years ago we bought our home, and a new washer and dryer. We looked at front-loaders but, the laundry area is a narrow hallway, with the water hook-ups on the right, so we felt that a top-load was a better fit. We purchased a Calypso. That machine was amazing! After reading all the problems it had, and the recall, I think I had the only one that actually worked. I had 4 small children, and one was a particularly aggressive peanut butter swiper. Grease! All across his shirt front. All the time. I never had a problem getting that out, even if I missed pre-treating. No one's clothes smelled anything but clean after washing, and I used a free and clear detergent.

After 6 1/2 years, the U-joints? on the machine finally went and I was quoted over $800 dollars to repair. We decided to purchase a new new washer instead. We thought that surely they've worked out the problems with this type of machine by now? Enter the Oasis.

What a nightmare. Right from the start there was a difference in the laundry. Whites were dull, anything oily/greasy (even pre-treated) did not come out, and the smell...the stench from my husband's t-shirt drawer could have been used as a weapon. I tried different soaps, including Charlie's, more soap, less soap, nothing worked. I called for repair service, and the tech told me to use less soap, and that I should be "mixing" my loads (i.e. underwear and jeans in the same load.) I did not use fabric softener in this machine, I used vinegar in the rinse. It was awful. I was finally able to speak to someone in Sears "Executive" customer service department. I was given a credit for a new machine.

I now have a Samsung FL. It is better, but I still have the smelly laundry, greasy/oily stains do not come out unless pre-treated, and sometimes not even then. I am careful not to over-load. I wipe down the gasket every night. I bleach clean the washer periodically. I leave the door ajar. I now use the heavy duty cycle for most routine loads, which is 2 hours including the pre-wash and extra rinse. I do an extra rinse and spin after that cycle is complete. I see from reading the posts, that many say it is the machine that needs cleaning, but in this case it is NOT the machine. The dirty laundry smell is not as strong as it was when we had the Oasis , but it is still noticeable. And I know it is not the machine, because my youngest children's clothing do not have that smell. They don't have adult physiology, and their things do not smell like that. My husband's clothing is the worst. I think the problem is removing oil-based dirt/stains, like skin/body oils, cooking spatter, peanut butter. I do not use fabric softener, only vinegar. I am currently using Biokleen liquid with enzymes, a little Oxy-Clean powder and vinegar. I've noticed that the Bio-Kleen rinses off my hands, after I pre-treat, easier then other detergents that I've tried. I believe we have very alkaline, but heavily mineraled water, if that makes any sense. I think that the water quality, in addition to the quantity, is where my problem lies.

For really smelly things, I've soaked them in my utility sink, with various combinations of detergent, oxy-clean, baking soda and vingar. This does work, but it takes a very long time.

I am very frustrated, and I'm not sure what else to try. Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.

Caryn

Comments (86)

• practigal
    7 years ago

Rick doule check the content of those srill snelly items. Some of these synthetics require a different cleaner. Hot water and detergent work for most things.

OP CSAPhoenix, how did you finally resolve the issue?

• Rick Collins
    7 years ago

Should be real simple, all 100% cotton. I don't wear "performance clothing" as it always has and always will stink.

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

So it is a year later and this problem persists...

I am sick of the HE machines giving me clothes that smell OK when they emerge from the washer and then the dryer. I let them air out for a couple of hours before folding and then later that nasty smell! I run a sanitize cycle with vinegar every week and leave washer and detergent dispenser open all the time and all the rest of the recommended things and still have a smell. I usually get somewhat better results when using hot water but now it seems like so many items specifically instruct on label to NOT use hot water! WTF!? I got towels that say that and to dry on low!!!! Towels! I read on something from the cleaning institute about not every Detergent labeled HE really is. And somewhere else that there is some kind of fatty substance in all liquid detergents that leaves the stinky deposits on the clothes that is not in HE powders. To those people here who are using Borax, please explain where you put it in the dispenser. Gonna try it.

I understand the frustration of the lawyer dude and i think some of the responses were a little snarky. There ARE often unintended consequences to rules that are put into place by people in power and that's life. We are the peasants who just hafta learn to cope with what we are dealt. Anybody who thinks differently has an inflated sense of self (oh sorry, just laundry! ). I want to know why nobody in any company wants to take ownership of the secret stinky clothes problem. If SOMEBODY could make a front loader that truly didn't stink, everybody would run to buy it!

Ha we are selling our house and are leaving the stinky @&$! Washing machine. What do you all suggest we get now...? Don't tell me a washboard.

• Joel H.
    6 years ago

I will shed my opinion on a few things in your post. One, water temps. On today's machines, most water temp selections are dumbed down, to save energy. Warm is the new cold, and hot is the new warm. If you want real hot water, you need a boosted heated cycle (Heavy duty, Sanitize, Steam, etc.) Anything cotton can be washed in hot water (120 F and over). Manufacturers put cold or warm wash and dry on low to cover their butts. Instead, look at the fabric content. Cotton, linen, most polyester can take up to 140. Elastics can take up to 140, and I routinely do so in my Miele. I have washed the same sets of socks and sheets at 140, weekly, for 5-6 years and they are not showing signs of weakening. Secondly, please try a top shelf powdered detergent. They clean deeper, better, and rinse better. Third, borax is great for odors and is a mild bleach. Add it to the drum. When it comes down to it, try chlorine bleach. It does not take much to cut the smell from clothing, a few tablespoons. You can MILDLY bleach colors, even, just make sure to dilute very well before adding to the machine. I am unsure of your specific machine, but to kill stink, I would run a quick wash with bleach added manually thru the dispenser AFTER the main fill is complete. That should be enough exposure time, and then rinse it all away. If chlorine bleach ain't your thing, try ammonia. Ammonia is great a grease stains, and should be added to the main wash with detergent to be most affective. Oxygen bleaches can be used in a heavy dose with the same affect. Do not mix with bleach, and rinse well. Please also understand that it could take several washes to release odors and built up dirt.

I would stay with a front loading washer, if it was me. Believe it or not, they wash better, rinse better, and spin faster than top loaders. All with less energy and water consumption. I would insist you buy a machine with a heater, however. Read the manual and understand the cycles and options! It will also depend on what your are willing to spend. If you want to make a sort of investment that will last and care for your laundry, go with Miele or Bosch. If you want to stick to US brands, I would stay in the Whirlpool family. Best of luck!

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

A very good, info packed comment. I can't use hot on the towels because I was and they started shredding so THAT is when I read the label. Followed the directions and shredding ceased, so what can I say? I know we cannot afford those high end appliances but maybe whirlpool...how would I know the amount of borax to use? I read about how there is something in the liquid detergents that sticks to everything and causes the smell. So what exactly is a high end soap powder? Are you referring to Tide?

• SEA SEA
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

In regards to Borax with a front loader, my daughter has to use a smelly front load washing machine when she is away for school and she uses 1/4 cup. She puts it straight into the drum before adding clothes. She uses powder detergent (Tide, Cheer or Mexican Ariel the latter of which is purchased at a Hispanic market) She reports fresher personal laundry when she does this. She also feels she is doing a public service on the smelly front loader available to her while at school. The machine is abused by other users--too much liquid detergent, over packed wash loads and cool to cold wash cycles.

In my full fill top load washing machine at home I use 1/2 cup of Borax per load.

I wash whites on hot and darks on warm regardless of what the fabric label says.

In my experience, liquid detergent, if used often leads to funk build up in washer and clothing/towels unless there is a super heated water system in the washer, and it's used. Once in a while is OK for us. We went through the funk with previous front loaders which did not have a super heated water system and liquid detergent. Not pleasant.

I hope that helps.

• littlegreeny
    6 years ago

nonoyabusiness, it sounds like detergent residue in your laundry is causing the smelly situation. Try using less liquid detergent or switch to a powder as Sea suggests. More detergent does not equal greater clean. Also wash in hot to warm water and add an extra rinse to every load.

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

Good comments! I am penurious with detergent use but I am going to try a powder instead of the liquid and yes to Borax! Plus I will up the washing temps. Sometimes! The extra rinse sounds like a good idea as well. Thank you, everybody! <- Closest thing I could find to the inner workings of a washing machine.

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

Oh, how annoying. I included the wave image and it was not included in the post.

• enduring
    6 years ago

I wondered what that " <- " thingy meant, now I know, lol.

• jujufull
    6 years ago

rr (sorry, forgot the rest of the name), I'm sorry that you've had such a bad - TERRIBLE! - experience with your HE washer. Sometimes it seems there's no rhyme or reason.

I just wanted to say that I absolutely love mine. It's an HE toploading Maytag Bravos, and it cleans all my laundry exceptionally well. As someone said, it was a learning curve after years of using traditional washers with agitators, but for me it was well worth being able to get such great cleaning results with so much less water (I'm in a state which has had severe water issues).

I read the washer manual several times before I ever washed one load, and that really helped me to get the picture of how it's supposed to be used. I know some washers are lemons (a good friend had one, then got rid of it and got one like mine, which she is crazy about). Here's hoping you're having better cleaning results now than when you posted before.

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

As a woman, of COURSE I read the manual before using! ;) I actually heard somewhere about a class action lawsuit that was brought several years ago and the claimants won, and the manufacturers had to pay out big $.

Thank you for your good wishes. Imagine how much H2O would be saved if people weren't compelled to rewash their putrid smelling clothes!

• Joel H.
    6 years ago

I learned this years ago from a laundry forum and it makes perfect sense. In order to achieve the cleanest clothes and keep your machine clean, there are 4 main principals to consider: Time, Temperature, Chemical, and Physical. Time and temp are obvious. Chemical is the choice of detergents and additives. Physical is your washing program/cycle. When you take away or reduce one of these principals, you need to compensate by increasing one or several of the others. For instance....cold washing (puke). If one chooses cold wash, then you must increase washing time, and probably increase your detergent dose as well. Cheap detergent? Increase wash time and temperature. To me, this helps explain how to achieve, and keep, the cleanest laundry possible in any given situation. Hope this helps!

• doreycrouse
    6 years ago

My Duet has never had an issue with odors. I use line 1 on our Tide lids and scoops for full loads. Generally I use Downy as well. The key is using hot water with loads that are dirty or smell. Using the whites or bulky cycle gives tap hot. Bleach isn't necessary, but is used regularly with towels and rags. Since I have been using STPP I have noticed that the washer doesn't have as much residue in its gasket and cleaning improves so not as much time or detergent needed.

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

OK what is STPP? Funny, I never have residue on gasket.

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

OK what is STPP? Funny, I never have residue on gasket.

• Rick Collins
    6 years ago

Okay, it's been awhile and some improvements. A Maytag Centennial washer, water softener and no longer Tide Unscented liquid. We live in south central Texas, so HEB brand Bravo liquid detergent replaced Tide. Deep Water setting and one warmer step than "normal" for water temp. It has Cold, Cool, Warm & Hot. Using maximum detergent for work clothes has removed smell. Now towels required me to surreptitiously wash a load without the boss knowing. Warm with max detergent and deep water wash and the towels are now perfect.

• Jeannie Cochell
    6 years ago
    Do you folks have smelly water, too? If the clothes start to smell bad after being stored in a drawer, closet or cupboard, you can always use a sachet in your preferred fragrance or even the sachet liners. Sachets have been around for hundreds of years so it appears the smell issues predate modern laundry conveniences. If the myriad of scent boosters are an indication, the problem is isn't an uncommon occurrence, either.
  • mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Things like improper laundering, not using proper water temp, poor detergent choice, wrong cycle choice, soils remaining in clothing including body oils, poor rinsing, washer with mold build up, clothing left in washer when its done... ect ect ect..lots of things can cause odors in clothes. Years ago fighting odors was problematic but they also didn't have synthetic detergent, automatic washers, boosters ect...today sachets should be used because one enjoys a certain scent not to cover up odors..I know a few people that do that. It doesn't work they end up smelling like a lavender scented dirty body. Lol

• Jeannie Cochell
    6 years ago
    Possibly, Pink, but odors have been a constant way before HE, way before the mid 20th century and even lye soap. The rant I keep picking up on is newer machines, newer detergents and governmental influence. The first load I did in an HE FL was phenomenally brighter than my old TL's and I wouldn't exchange my WP 95's for my last set of Duets, which were probably tier 1 since our 95s are tier 2, I think. Not sure if you can see my moniker- this is Moroseaz.
  • jujufull
    6 years ago

I've never had stinky water issues in decades of doing laundry. I used traditional top loaders for years and have had two HE top loaders since then. I agree with above poster about the issues of "proper water temp, poor detergent choice, wrong cycle choice, soils remaining in clothing including body oils, poor rinsing, washer with mold build up, clothing left in washer when its done... ect ect ect.."

I also agree that changing current washers so that they don't have unmixed hot water is an important issue. I don't know if we'll ever see washers like that again, or if we'll have to buy them with onboard heaters from now on if we want to have hot water available for wash loads.

I don't know if modern detergents are the issue, or not. I have had some whose scents I could not stand, and others I really like a lot. The only Tide liquid I really like is the one with Febreze. I like to use it on gym workout laundry. The only other Tide I use is the powder with bleach, which I use on white laundry I wash in hot water.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

I also would not trade my WP95 for anything..lol

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Moroseaz ..yes I figured out it was you ..LOL...are you undercover..haha

• doreycrouse
    6 years ago

nonoyabusiness, STPP is a complex phosphate that softens water by binding to hard water minerals but also helps clean clothing. Do a search in the top bar for more info.

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

Hey y'all, I used Borax and raised the washing temps one step. The clothes so far smell OK, but my husband's sweat pants now come halfway up his calves. They are supposed to be washed in cold H2O and I used warm. :(

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

I thought we weren't supposed to ise stuff with phosphates, as it promotes eutrification of waterways...but I am not a scientist; what do I know?

• jujufull
    6 years ago

Does anything have phosphates in it anymore? AFAIK they've been taken out of dishwasher detergent, and laundry products too.

Edit: I see that a poster said STPP is a phosphate. I have not used that, don't even know where to buy it.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

We all must each make our own chouce to use phosphates or not. That being said, water treatment plants are equiped to remove phosphates.

STPP....Sodium TripolyPhosphate is the phosphate that was once in detergents. You can find it on Amazon.

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

Not gonna use it. Phosphates destroy ecosystems. If the water treatment facilities take it out then why has it been removed from everyrhing? What about all the multitudes of people who have septic systems?

• dadoes
    6 years ago

I've been adding STPP to laundry for 8+ years, and use dishwasher detergent that has it. My septic system is on a maintenance contract (required by the county) and is inspected 3 times per year. The service outfit has commented that it's one of the cleanest they handle.

nonoyabusiness ... you do realize that phosphates are in various food products and cosmetics, and are in human and animal excrement, yes?

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

Not having a septic system I have very limited knowledge of them but I believe it is not the cleanliness of the system but that the phosphates leach out and go into the groundwater that is the problem. You do what you want and so shall I.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

There's very good reasons why some people need to use phosphates.nonoyabusiness when phosphates were removed several other chemicals took their place, not all of these are good for the eco or the body. However I never hear mention of the other chemicals in detergent and how it impacts our Eco system. None of us are here to argue phosphates, we all must make our own decision about this along with all the other non-friendly Eco system chemicials found in most peoples homes.

• jujufull
    6 years ago

dadoes, what dishwasher detergent has phosphates in it? I've been told that no brand has them anymore.

• jujufull
    6 years ago

STPP....Sodium TripolyPhosphate is the phosphate that was once in detergents. You can find it on Amazon.

Thanks, MamaP. What is its main purpose? Is it only used on whites, or other laundry too?

• doreycrouse
    6 years ago

I use it in all my laundry. One tablespoon. It makes my clothes incredibly fluffy and I have noticed a difference in cleanliness and odors. Today I washed 12 bath towels with 1T Tide powder and 2T STPP and my towels feel like new. It is my favorite additive.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

It softens water, holds soils, hard water minerals, detergent residue in suspension and prevents it from redepositing onto clothing. It can be used on all clothing and in all water temps.

I'm not sure what dishwasher Dadoes uses but Cascade with phosphates can be ordered on amazon its been rebadged Cascade Fryer Boil Out. Also Bubble Bandit sells dishwasher and laundry detergent with phosphates.

• nonoyabusiness
    6 years ago

I would love to know what the replacement chemicals are and what bad things they do. BUT I am in the process of moving and I am SO beat. I can't bring myself to look. If someone could clue me in I would be grateful. It would just be another example of unintended consequences, like the lawyer dude was talking about. Going to zzZZzz now!

• suburbanmd
    6 years ago

"Phosphorus has not generally been considered to be a major problem for onsite systems. However, because of the site-specific nature of onsite wastewater treatment, in some cases it does create problems. This Pipeline discusses situations where and why it may be a problem and what the options are for controlling phosphorus"

http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/WW/publications/pipline/PiL_SU13.pdf

• jujufull
    6 years ago

Thanks for the info, MamaP. :-)

doreycrouse, where do you buy STPP? Have you found the best buy on it? That's what I would want if I were to buy it.

Edit to ask: Does anyone add STPP to the dishwasher like people do to the washing machine?

• dadoes
    6 years ago

Yes, I added it to non-phosphated dishwasher detergent before I started using the phosphated product.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Juju..are you having any problems with your dishwasher cleaning? Do your dishes come out flawlessly clean? Are your flatware shiny and polished? If your pulling out less than perfection you may want to try adding STPP along with your Cascade....LOL

• jujufull
    6 years ago

dadoes, did you use d/w powdered detergent and add the STPP to it, or did you do something else? Edit: What phosphated product do you use, and where do you buy it?

MamaP, my dishwasher is a bit finicky - I have to use d/w gel, not powder or packets (which I used to love). I do use Cascade, as I get the best results from it. The great majority of the time, dishes come out very clean. Once in a while, something isn't.

I would like info on ordering STPP. I don't want to spend a fortune on it. I want a reasonable price.

• sparky823
    6 years ago

Wasn't there an add on to Cascade gel that Mitch told everyone about and how well it worked? I have forgotten exactly what it entailed.

• doreycrouse
    6 years ago

I have purchased my STPP from Amazon and the Dafna store is where mine is from. It was $20 for a 5 lb bag. It's gonna last me a while. I do use it in my dishwasher when I run it. I use 1 tsp and one Cascade action pac. Nothing stands a chance.

• Bethany Butts
    3 years ago

Checking in to see if any of you found an answer to your stinky laundry smell? I’m beginning to wonder if maybe if I should go with a washing machine with an agitator to get the clothes cleaner? I’ve tried all the different cleaning agents for the machines, I use powder detergent, I keep lid open between uses. I had a front loader and had this issue and went to buy a top loader thinking I would get back to the old school washers. The salesman sold me a top loader with the the spinner at the bottom and I’m pretty much right back to where I started. Any thoughts On this topic or on the top loaders with the agitators? Ty

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Doesn't so much matter what kind of machine. Majority of washers nowadays are restricted on temperature, especially on the designated Normal cycle.. Cold is chilled. Warm gets you cold. Hot is mostly warm ... so mostly should wash in hot.

Use chlorine bleach on whites ... socks, kitchen linens, bath towels and wash cloths.

• Rick Collins
    3 years ago

We’ve had little problems since moving to Purell liquid detergent. My wife and I disagree with the quantity of soap per load. I say we should use the amount recommended for heavily soiled clothes for our bathroom towels. All the body oils and soaps are just aw bad as a sweaty pair of tights from workout. But yah, it’s solved our problem. I also think that HE washers require as much soap as the manufacturers recommend, not the minimal amount. Good luck on finding a normal (or should I say “old-fashioned) machine with an agitator that actually functions the way they used to. I think those days have passed.

• Cavimum
    3 years ago

I have to use LESS detergent for towels than other loads. Otherwise it turns into suds-o-rama.

• Tracie Trim
    3 years ago

Bethany Butts - I had a Maytag Bravos that had the spinny thing. It did great at cleaning my clothes, but it only lasted 3 years. :( Now I have a GE with an agitator. The whole time I had the Maytag I didn't have oil spots on shirts (a problem I had with my previous front loader). Now I'm having the problem again and am trying to figure it out. I was hoping lots of water and an agitator would be my dream come true, but I'm feeling frustrated!

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Concentrated detergent solution can be of more benefit to cleaning clothes than many gallons of water.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County