Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
browneyedlady

Magtag Bravos washing machine

browneyedlady
14 years ago

I just got this a couple of months ago, and I hate it. I keep washers for a decade or more, so I am not a happy camper. It is a top loader with no agitator post in center, which I thought would be so cool. It barely fills with water, so it is difficult to get soap out of clothes. I have never seen more than about 4 inches of water in it, and have had service on it twice. One said it is not normal and one said it is perfectly normal. The water doesn't even cover the clothing in the load. It is hard on fabrics, and even clothing I had owned for years all of a sudden produced tons of lint in my dryer after going through this washer. Never did THAT before. Even queen-sized blankets go off-balance each step of the way in a wash cycle when it is time to spin. This machine is such a hassle.

Comments (4)

• dadoes
    14 years ago

These new machines require more care in use than the "old"-type agitator machines. One can't blindly dump a load in and expect maximum results, particularly on large items like the queen-size blanket you mention. Sorting and choosing the proper cycle is much more important, as is the loading technique. Don't drape items over the center of the wash impeller. Also don't "wrap" items around the impeller or perimeter of the wash basket. Towels, sheets, jeans, slacks, shirts and other such items should each be gathered into a bundle and dropped in, spaced evenly around, with smaller items placed between. The exception to the wrapping rule is a large item such as the blanket. Place it arranged evenly around the impeller, and in that case be SURE to use the Bulky Items cycle. Bulky has a specific action to minimize balling-up of such items. Some of these machines also have a specific Sheets cycle, which should be used accordingly while adhering to the no-wrapping rule.

In regards to water not covering the load ... it's not intended to do so. This is an HE (high-efficiency) washer that uses minimal water, only enough to saturate the load dripping wet and then float it slightly up off the impeller so the oscillating motion can slosh the water through the clothes and slowly roll them over a few times. The wash action is not the same as an agitator toploader that completely submerges the load and rapidly rolls it over many times throughout the wash period. Apparently you weren't aware of that and were not advised of it by the salesperson.

• cynic
    14 years ago

Stand back, the Bravos lovers might attack! :) But seriously, it's a different style of machine and requires a learning curve. Have you read the manual? It's a good start to learn how to use a different technology. How much detergent are you putting in there if you're having all these rinsing troubles? I'd suspect you could be overdosing it. Be sure to measure carefully.

The amount of water in it will depend a lot on the load. There are tricks to add more water. As I understand lifting the lid a time or two will tell it to add more water. Can't say for sure if this is true but owners have reported this and I have no reason to disbelieve them. Also, there's usually a cycle for bulky things like comforters that will use more water if you really want more water in there. But part of the issue could simply be that you're not familiar with the machine and don't know how to use it. As Dadoes said, loading is very important in any machine but especially these. Use the correct amount of detergent. I'm not sure if you have an extra rinse option on there or not but if you do, that might help you out a bit too.

And if all else fails, check with the place you bought it. Sometimes you can return it if you don't like it.

• atlbeardie
    14 years ago

I hesitate to post because I have only limited experience with our new Bravos. We've been in our new lake house a few weeks so I have only run the new Bravos (washer and steam dryer -- 8000 series, with heat boost in washer) a total of about 10 times. But almost each of those ten times has been under varying circumstances -- a normal load, some super dirty, some bulky, some small and delicate, etc. And I have to say my experience can not be more different from the original poster's. I really, really like these machines based on this limited experience. In fact, tonight I jokingly told my husband that the new washer/dryer and the Hide-A-Hose central vac are my two favorite things, next to him of course.
    Yes, the posters above are correct--- there is a slight learning curve with these machines, in terms of how to load them and what to expect. I, too, was alarmed when I saw so little water in the washing machine (I bet Maytag is going to do away with that glass top, for that reason). But when I saw the end result, I became a convert: everything was clean.
    Like the orginal poster, my other washing machines have been ones with agitators. I orginally thought I would get a front loader for our new lake house, but was scared away when I kept reading about problems with mold and mildew with front loaders. The appeal of reduced water usage and increased capacity (e.g. washing a king sized comforter) convinced me to go with a top loader with impeller design. I also consider the GE Harmony, but thought the controls for it were too difficult for a casual (i.e. house guest or husband) to use, whereas the Bravos control panel was pretty intuitive.
    The proof will be in the pudding... will I still love these machines in six months or a year? I can't say. But in case anyone else is considering these machines, I just wanted to say that on the basis of my very short term, use, I am impressed.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

Another very satisfied Bravos owner checking in. ;-)

When I got my washer (and dryer), I read the washer manual thoroughly -- then I read it again. I had not owned an HE washer before and I wanted to be sure I used it correctly so it would hopefully last for a long time.

A blanket should be washed on the Bulky cycle. One blanket would not require a lot of water, but the Bulky cycle does use more water than all the other cycles. I don't think I've ever washed just one blanket, but I have washed just one comforter. I can only recall one time the washer went off-balance (two twin-size comforters), after having done 100+ loads of laundry. It was a simple matter to re-balance the load.

The Wrinkle Control, Delicate, and Handwash cycles also use more water than the other cycles. I use them for our nice office/church clothes, delicates, and such things as winter sweaters.

Smaller items should be dropped in "lumps" around the (not on) the impeller.

cynic said, "As I understand lifting the lid a time or two will tell it to add more water."

As long as the "Add a Garment" light is still on (it stays on for roughly 10 minutes at the beginning of each cycle), more water will go in the washer each time you press Pause on the machine, open the lid, and then press Start again.

I've only done this to add more items, but more water should go in whether you add more items or not, as long as the "Add A Garment" light is still on.

OP, are you using HE detergent? I've only used HE detergent and I haven't had any problems at all getting suds out -- I don't even see any suds when laundry is washing.

My last washer and dryer were a much-smaller capacity, yet this dryer produces noticeably less lint than my former (and smaller) dryer did. My Bravos washer seems to be much gentler on clothes than my former traditional washers w/agitators.

Was your former washer a much-smaller capacity? Is your current dryer at least 7 cu ft capacity? A smaller dryer lint filter would definitely fill up more. Bigger loads of laundry usually produce more lint than smaller loads.

I don't know whether you got a lemon or need to read the manual again? I do hope these posts have helped.