Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - need soution - w/d stack removal from tight fit alcove

Posted by elphaba (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 11:34

We're in the middle of major remodel of a hall bath. An alcove (i.e. closet without a door) for a washer/dryer stack is part of the requirements. In the middle of that now when I realize because it is a tight fit, it is going to be a HUGE DEAL if and when we decide to replace machines or if they need maintenance to the extent they need to be pulled out of alcove. Doesn't help that these machines are fairly large Samsung, not compact.

Opinions?

I think I've got SOME help with this problem because I am requiring access panels in back (on wall in a spare room).

BUT the REAL problem is if these machines need to be removed. I could give space dimensions but I will not unless someone feels they need it. What I'm thinking is that casters might be the solution. Stack could be rolled out and then moved sideways down a 36 inch aisle out the door which is also 36 inches.

Problem is I can't find anywhere on the web where this has been done before. I'm particularly worried about vibration with the casters. Think I need REALLY heavy duty casters attached to some kind of platform? Do I need to worry about ventilation?

Also, some issues with stability if both are rolled out together? Anyone with experience on this? Maybe wall on the side of alcove which borders a hallway could be made to be easily "destroyed"? (Hopefully this last option isn't only one because that "ship may have already sailed".)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - need soution - w/d stack removal from tight fit alco

Samsung does list alcove/closet requirements at their website for each model and a stacked configuration. We have Mieles and when the Miele techs have come to service our units they also have a large sheet of a plastic composite that they slip under the unit to easily pull it forward. Works like a charm and the only issue you might have is a difference in flooring heights between your alcove and adjoining space where your unit will be pulled out to service.

o

Thanks - I found the manual. Since there is no door on the "alcove", looks like we're okay as far as reqs but still going to be a big job to get those babies out of that closet when their time comes. Still thinking..
Manual says not to put machines on a "platform" which is what I was thinking of. In a post somewhere else, a "motion platform" was mentioned which looked exactly what we need and looks like good ones aren't cheap but I'm still concerned about vibration which the manual mentions. Don't want them to go out before their time.

Thanks again for the info.

o

Not sure what "platform" references in your case without the model numbers. Is it a reference to the stacking kit? Also, Samsung does have a customer participation forum and here is the search for "stacking": Samsung forums: stacking

o

That's a great link, fahrenheit! Am definitely bookmarking that - though reading it seems to turn up yet more problems, LOL. Never appreciated the people with the skills for remodeling as much as I do now. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here