Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samcuty

Miele 4840/9820 - good things only please

samcuty
16 years ago

I know everyone talks about all kind of problems going on in Miele 4840/9820.

Are there any happy customers out there?

I am interested to here from you. There are lots of threads that talks about problems in Miele. But I am interested in good things about the Miele.

I am not a big fan using hot water for the washing. So, heating is not a problem for me. And I have heard enough problems about this machine. But hardly heard what this machine really capable of doing (good things).

Please do not post any problems here.

Thanks

Comments (67)

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Being a German machine, this is the only way you can get these machines. Some people have an issue with this in their laundry room, or laundry area. You may have to put the dryer on the LEFT, and the washer on the RIGHT, and change water & dryer duct.

laney50w,

One of the reasons that my wife and I were drawn to the Miele was the fact they are purpose-built with the stationary door openings (among other design elements) meaning the design and engineering is set on a simple premise. We also had no issues switching around the unitsÑalthough our residence was built for the washer on the left, and the dryer on the right, as the length of the hoses, and their location on the back of the washer, are more than accommodating to make the switch.

• dgsj66
    16 years ago

A couple of additional recommendations: The solid ducting is a good call on either the gas or electric dryer, and our Miele salesman suggested upsizing the ducting from the standard 4" dryer duct, as much of the sound is caused by airflow restriction in the ductwork. If you've got room, try this. I didn't, unfortunately. It is definitely louder than the previous set I tested in the same spot, but how much of a problem will depend upon the location in your home.

Miele does a very good job of taking care of customers in my opinion, and their products are very well built. The price of the large laundry set (or the small one for that matter) is certainly high, but the clothes care story with the HoneyComb drum is tough to dismiss.

Hope you enjoy your new set, and we'll look forward to hearing about it.

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

Miele Factory Fix: Sagging Washer Door Model W48XX

On the early model Miele W 48XX washer, the door has a propensity to sag. MieleÕs fix is to change out the door latch (now angled along the bottom versus straight across both top and bottom); install a receiver with a roller at the bottom; install a larger hinge backing plate (located behind the hinge on the inside of the washer front cover). Sagging doors can be easily checked when the door is opening as it is easy to move downward, and the latch hits the receiver before engaging. This information is directly from a Factory Miele Service Representative as we discussed the matter in person using our W48XX as an example of what has changed, and why.

{{gwi:2018851}}

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

Miele T9820: Running the Dryer for the First Time

It is wise to wash some clothes or other articles (e.g. dish towels) that you will not be smelling, and dry them using the Turbo option. The reason is that Turbo mode engages a second heating element that only engages in the Turbo mode. If you do this then you will not make the mistake that I did and that was using Turbo on some good clothes as the protective shipping coating will burn-off the second burner and smell-up the clothes (easily washed-out). It will take several loads to completely rid the component smell.

Miele Service Call: The Good, No Bad, and No Ugly

I called Miele regarding clothes not completely drying with some wetness in areas such as elastic waistbands, etc. Over the telephone Miele had me run a button sequence on the front panel to determine whether a fault was at question. Although there were no faults Miele wanted to send a Miele Service Representative (MSR) to our residence to have a look at matters. I was fortunate to have a Miele Service Representative who allowed me to see what he was doing to the dryer, and I was duly impressed with the software line items that are configurable on the dryer. Another benefit is the latest firmware was uploaded to our dryer. The are several line items (e.g., cottons) that have three settings: 1) Moister 2) Standard 3) Dryer. In addition, the unitÕs Cooling Down cycle can have its time extended by five or ten minutes. Since the dryerÕs sensor algorithms are designed to avoid overheating fabrics, therefor damaging them (MieleÕs philosophy is all about fabric care) adding the ÒDryerÓ selection increases the time the dryer will run a heat cycle, but not the heat temperature. The aspect we like most about the dryer is that it truly bases it drying factors on the care and composition an articleÕs fabric(s). Hence, we opted for ten additional minutes of Cooling Down cycle. Keep in mind that the dryer is sensor based, and adding ten minutes may not mean ten minutes as the sensor comes into play. I have not timed it on a regular basis, but it is shorter than ten minutes, so far.

Another very encouraging first impression is the MSR arriving at your door with a roll along tool bag (actually a Briggs & Riley in our instance) and greets you in a pressed blue Oxford shirt with the Miele logo. There is no tool belt laden with tools that can damage bits about your home, and a Miele mat that looks like giant mouse pad, is laid atop your dryer to place a laptop computer, plus the sensor peripheral that is affixed via suction to the specific location on the control panelÑvery professional with the utmost consideration of leaving your goods and residence in the same condition as before they arrived.

Miele Vision Module: The Future

On the back the washer and dryer, and as shown in the manual's ÒinstallationÓ section is an empty slot (approximately the size of a cigarette pack), referred to as the W-LAN communication module that is to house the Miele Vision Module. This module will allow Wi-Fi connection to your PC whereby you will be able to allow Miele to communicate with your washer and dryer to determine how you are doing your laundry, faults, and changes that need to be made via firmware. Whether the owner will be able to make the changes was not told to me. It is in testing now. This means that both the washer and dryer can be custom programmed to how you wash, the laundry detergent you use, water hardness, sudsing, drying, and a gamut of variables.

Miele W4840: More to Come!

Upon connecting the MSRÕs laptop to our washer three new line items, that the MSR had not seen to date appeared in the configuration list. One was a PC test that I suspect will be part of the Vision Module to allow the consumer to see if everything is working as it should. There was another I do not remember as I was intrigued over the this item in particular: Hygiene Optimization. This item was available to configure as the other two, although listed, were grayed-out when the selection was chosen. Since the MSR did not know about the Hygiene Optimization it was not activated. I can also state that there are many other line items, and another the caught my eye is that the water heater has five options of heat. The washer is shipped to the States in the lowest setting and since I am not an Electrical Engineer I do not know the its meaning other than it is set at around 1.x kW with four other selection the highest being 4.12kW. MSRÕs are given strict orders not to change this setting. Do not try to convince the MSR to change this setting as settings are uploaded to a database and any unauthorized changes can void your warranty. You also have to remember that some of these variations of scale in settings are for testing purposes. Such is the case for drum rotation speed that can be set to 2,000 rpm, and lower than the consumer setting of 1,400 rpm to determine drum related issues (e.g. bearings, etc.).

Tidbits: What a Difference a Miele Service Representative Makes

The difference between the delivery and setup crew versus an actual Miele Service Representative is night and day. Miele has gone to great extents to not only protect their software for their configureable Miele appliances, but the consumer information too. The MSRÕs laptop gains internet access through wireless whereby data is collected and recorded about your appliances on an enterprise level. Most impressive.

• gordonr
    16 years ago

I think a lot of what you were seeing on the computer screen is a duplicate of what others described as being part of the on-board firmware that can be accessed on the machine via a means once described on this site.

There was a strong belief in some of those discussions that Miele had developed some type of "universal" firmware and not all of those options were meant for the W48xx machines.

To me it's quite enough that our government spy's on us; I don't want my appliance manufacturers keeping track of how I'm doing my laundry! At another level I'm all for technology, but at the end of the day it's only a dryer using standard time proven drying technology. How complicated does it have to be? There is no doubt Miele makes great products but maybe a wifi dryer is going a little bit too far.

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

I think a lot of what you were seeing on the computer screen is a duplicate of what others described as being part of the on-board firmware that can be accessed on the machine via a means once described on this site.

Yes, there are duplicates for the purpose of having the consumer perform rudimentary tests, and yes, it is a means of changing configurations, but this is where the similarities cease as there is no means of uploading the latest firmware, and there are other configurable line items unavailable via front panel button sequences as I queried the rep about said matters.

There was a strong belief in some of those discussions that Miele had developed some type of "universal" firmware and not all of those options were meant for the W48xx machines.

When the rep opened the washer software screen he even stated aloud that he had not seen the last three line items before as they were new. The ÒHygiene OptimizationÓ line item was actually configurable on our W4840 as the two choices were ÒActiveÓ and ÒInactive.Ó It is currently set to Inactive as he is inquiring with Miele what exactly activating it does.

To me it's quite enough that our government spy's on us; I don't want my appliance manufacturers keeping track of how I'm doing my laundry! At another level I'm all for technology, but at the end of the day it's only a dryer using standard time proven drying technology. How complicated does it have to be? There is no doubt Miele makes great products but maybe a wifi dryer is going a little bit too far.

This is the first washer and dryer that we have owned that can actually be fine-tuned. I am aware of such abilities at a commercial level, but not on a consumer level. Collecting data on how I wash and dry, and to analyze the data to achieve better products I will happily agree to as both the manufacturer and the consumer stand to benefit. There are other reasons for doing this as well since the current house visit rate a Miele Service Representative is $175 in our area if you are out of warranty. Having the ability to send pertinent data to Miele before having a rep visit is advantageous on both the manufacturer and consumer level. I have learned about the Miele Vision Module from two different sources, with each adding a bit more to the whole of the picture. The slots for the module on the back of the washer and dryer are the same so I assume (not substantiated) that the consumer only needs to purchase one module. Then, as the rep explained, letÕs say that someone cannot be at home for the service visit, they can simply have the module plugged-in, and the Miele rep can get within range of the moduleÑfrom outside the residenceÑand take readings. These readings will convey whether there is too much sudsing occurring, etc. and the Miele rep can thereby perform adjustments without ever entering the residence (with the permission of the consumer). Don't want Miele to connect with your units? Pull the module, or who knows, it may have a on/off switch.

I view this as analogous with vehicles that once used mechanical points in the ignition system versus the modern day ECM and direct injectionÉgive me the ECM system any day of the week. Also, OnStar does data collection too, but I know owners who have purposely disconnected OnStar after OnStar called them to ask whether they were having mechanical problems as they were passing the 130 mph mark on their speedometer. If you have an extended warranty there is no need to worry about voiding the warranty since Miele will handle matters. Laundry data collection seems of no invasion of privacy that I can think ofÑitÕs laundry.

Miele receives high marks from us for allowing the consumer to adjust matters to their liking, and not simply selling a product while saying live with it just as it is. Bravo Miele, bravo!

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

My Miele Dw when sold in EU, can be communicated with via the electric lines. This enables them to check the machine when you call for service and fix or update the software without a home visit. I don't think this is possible here in the USA with our electric system, so perhaps there are trying to do this via WiFi instead. I don't mind this if they are going to fix or update software.

Without this connection the technician travels to your home and connects his lap top via a rubber suction cup placed over the PC label on the control panel. Or maybe they plan to use Wifi instead of the suction cup with the optical device in it.

I think this washer and dryer so far are only sold in the USA but they probably have developed universal software because my DW already has this. It can be configured via the touch screen to work in different ways depending on what world region is selected. I tried the EU region for a week then returned mine to the USA region.

I have the 9820 gas dryer. I like the normal setting because it does leave elastic waist bands slightly damp. I find this better than baking everything dead dry. If I don't want the dampness I use the extra dry program and that takes care of it or I use the 45 minute warm program and use gentle heat--this is my preference because it gives me more control over what is going on. I run it for 5 or 10 minutes then take the clothes out.

Even the turbo option doesn't use heat as high as my previous dryer but it is hotter than normal heat and provides quicker drying. The thing I like about this dryer is the strong movement of air combined with low heat and the way the clothes feel when your take them out.

• samcuty
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Farenheit_451: Your information is really cool and very thorough compare to other details that has posted in several forums, which kinda lead people in to negative directions.

This are the few reasons I like the Miele compare to any other W/D in the market. So, please keep posting this type of information that benefit others who are interested on the granularity of this marvelous machine. As this forum title clearly states - good things only!!!

Once again, thank you for posting such a great details, which will clearly be very useful for the person like me.

• goodkine
    16 years ago

First and foremost before I comment on the "only good" attributes of the 48XX model (don't want to upset the initiator's guideline), I think Miele in general owes a tremendous amount of gratitude to the incredible amount of detail several frequent thread posters provide about the machine(s). Much more than any CS reps I've spoken to in the last several days during contemplating my purchase.

Having said that, I want to particularly reference laney50w's clever comment of while endorsing (and selling) the wonders of the Miele machine, still personally owning the Duets.

IMO, the flexibility of controlling temp and water levels is critical to maximizng your washing needs, whatever model you may own. That being said, I cannot help but wonder why for the same 4.0 cu ft capacity, one would substantiate the cost of the Miele 48XX since apparently the newer model doesn't allow the flexibility (particulaly with the heater) previous models had.

I am not a tree hugger (sorry) and I demand the option to boost my water temp up past 120F if I desire. Before I order this 48XX model that I've been eyeing up for the last two weeks, I'd like to know if any of the other ones in it's "class" (HE5t, Duet, Bosch, LG, etc.) gets any hotter than 120F on its highest preset.

In general (minus the obvious choices in selecting options before you click "start" for the wash), high-end FL models will do whatever they are programmed to do, so if that is the case, and you are just washing regular clothes (not cloth dung ridden diapers or several kid's lacrosse jerseys), why not get another 4.0 cu ft. model.

Please educate me if the Miele 48XX gets hotter than any other model n the US market because as far as I know, you can obtain the same temp from other high-end FL models.

• gordonr
    16 years ago

goodkine,

I've had both a HE5t-Steam and a Miele W4840 hooked up at different times over the past 2 1/2 months. If you go to the post I started regarding the HE5t you'll see a wealth of data regarding the machine, it's cycles, when the heater is used and some data on what temps were reached in various cycles. If I remember, some of the "hot" cycles were projected to reach nearly 130F (the door seems to lock and can't be opened via a pause after about 120-122F so projected temps were based on rate of temp rise and how long the internal heater was on). I never tried the sanitary setting which is suppose to get in the 150F range. From a product feature and operation standpoint there is much to like about this machine. However, there is absolutely nothing to like about dealing with Sears customer service on the telephone although my in-store experience with the local store management was very good.

I've been collecting similar data on the W4840 and will post it soon after trying a couple more cycle choices. To give a small preview...

The W4840 seem to have a tighter ATC system that gets closer to the target temp than the HE5t. Like the HE5t is doesn't use it's internal heater in the normal cycle with one exception. If you choose "heavy soil" it *will* kick on the heater only during the pre-wash portion of the cycle.

The W4840 cycles have a preset schedule that may modify their timing slightly depending on load size and possibly other factors. However, even in cycles that use the internal heater the water temperature not reaching the target temperature doesn't seem to be one of those factors. Within it's approximate schedule it will heat the water as best it can, but there is no guaranty it will reach the target. Again, I haven't used the sanitary settings so don't know how they operate.

To a very real degree, both machines have internal heaters that can heat the water a bit but without question a big sized machine with a 110V ~ 9-10A heater is a compromise and short of creating marketing challenged very long cycle times they just don't have the power to work like a Euro-size 5 to 6kg machine of yesteryear (in the USA anyways) that were based on 220V-15A. These 120V machines have to leverage the home's DHW source. As you set your DHW to a hotter temp, the washers tend to achieve setpoint more easily. My problem is I don't want to set my DHW at a scalding 140F just so my washer gets hot enough water so you live with slightly degraded or more limited performance.

In theory, Bosch is suppose to guaranty wash temps on their 120V machine, however they define "warm" as 90F which is on the cold side of warm. Many large 120V washers only have internal heaters which work on sanitary (e.g. Samsung) so for as flawed as the Miele or HE5t appears at times, it can still raise the temperature with it's internal heater enough to be meaningful.

Regarding water level...
    Neither machine seems to have a direct user accessible way of increasing the water level. They both use a scant amount of water based on their own logic. It's been reported that the Miele has some factory/technition configuration menus that can be set to increase the water it uses a little bit. Haven't tried to access those, but will ask a service guy coming out to do that operation.

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

...but will ask a service guy coming out to do that operation.

Gordon, can you please do me a big favor and write down the firmware loaded in your washer when the tech services your unit? Any further information you can gather about the MieleVision Module will be greatly appreciated too. Thanks.

• goodkine
    16 years ago

gordonr,

you may have sealed the deal for me with my forgotton realization of the lack of voltage to properly charge that heater (here in the US) without compromising performance, both on the Miele and the Bosch end.

Anal Sears sales reps, i can handle them; i show up in person like an old woman in a swap meet ranting and haggling to get a handmade antique rug for a $1.

Its like trying to get great huge expensive speakers to sound good with a substandard amp. Later you're going, "I spent $1000 on these speakers, and they sound like crap... why..??"

All that being said, there's somthing about the lure of a solid state machine lasting 20 years with minimal maitenance that still pulls me towards the Miele...

• gordonr
    16 years ago

fahrenheit451-

The guy being sent by Miele is the local repair person from the store where I purchased the unit. It's not those nice spiffy men/women in the pressed blue Miele shirts with their cosmic notebook computers. He is going to have to call Miele to get directions on how to access the firmware. I'll try to get the firmware number if possible.

goodkine -

Don't get me wrong. Both the HE5t and W4840 are fine machines. They both have their pros and cons. It far from a slam dunk to say the Miele is worlds better. In some ways the HE5t gives more user control and the build quality seems good. You can see how Miele tried to keep the machine simple for the user. For some that's a pro for others it's a con. The attraction of the W4840 rest more on the future hope that it's build quality is outstanding and that relates to an appliance that will last significantly longer. Your really buying more on reputation and actual in the field experience.

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

Gordon,

Well, I am utterly frustrated because you, of all people, are a prime candidate for the actual laptop, since you have an understanding of what they are doing with it. And the pressed Oxford shirts on the Miele reps is impressive; the cosmic laptops are only Dell's (I prefer Apple's as they are more toward the cosmic end). ;)

I agree with you on the build quality as when my wife and I started looking to replace our units my wife emphatically stated that she wanted the Miele when we first looked at them. I was the one who said that we should research before purchasing...approximately six months later, I concluded after seeing as many units as I could have of the competition, no others could standup to Miele's build quality. Also, like you, I enjoy the fact that Miele takes a fundamental approach to matters (e.g., using mass versus technology like VRT, in Samsung, to assist in handling load offsets).

Last week my wife commented that she wanted the Miele in the first place, and why did I take so long to purchase? It wouldn't be the first time...

• gordonr
    16 years ago

fahrenheit 451,

Don't feel so frustrated. The small problem I've identified where service is required doesn't require the blue shirt laptop gang. Miele is running a business and you want to save your A team for the most difficult situations. I don't want to drag this thread on a tangent so I'll simply say the gasket (door-tub seal) on my machine looks twisted and uneven. Honestly if the service guy just loosened it and reset it slightly it would most likely be fine, but instead he ordered a new gasket. If after service it's not improved I'll then escalate and post more info. Want to give Miele a chance to work through their process.

I also like the solid build and heft of the Miele. It has an ability to spin up loads in a commanding manner. It's stronger than the HE5t in this regard. However, the 1400 rpm Miele does impart more vibration to the house than the 1320 rpm HE5t. I've tried the Miele with and without the Kellett Shake Away Pads and they only seem to help a very small amount. The vibration is still less than our old Asko 1600 rpm machine. Miele seemed to put their effort into getting a load spinning up with no doubt a stiffer suspension and a strong motor. Just like in a car, the stiffer suspension probably gives a rougher ride (i.e. more house vibration). Actually I applaud Samsung for coming up with a creative solution with their VRT design. The Samsung would be an interesting option if it only used it's internal heater in a cycle other than sanitary (I don't believe in that silver care stuff).

• dona0
    16 years ago

I finally got to use my new 4840/9820 over the weekend. I was extremely happy with both the washer and dryer. We are building out of state so it was the first I had seen them installed and they looked beautiful. My dh had never seen them in person, just pictures from the website ( and he wasn't that thrilled with the pictures, he also hated the look of the bosch) He was really impressed with the look and the quality of both.
    Now for a review of the machines from someone who is not that technical and just wants clean, dry clothes. I first did the sanitize wash like instructed in the manual. My neighbor and I just stood and watched it, during the wash cycles you couldn't hear it standing in front of it. The spin cycle was a little louder than quiet but when I left the laundry room and stood a few feet away, I didn't hear it. You could see the washer shake a little but far less than my old top loaders. I then did a load of jeans and the same results. The wash cycle is longer in duration than the top loader, about an hour.
    I had concerns when I purchased the dryer because of reading about how loud they are but I found it to be extremely quiet, yes standing in front of it you could hear some air moving in it. We had people in and out of there for the entire time and no one even knew it was on. The extra time with the washer was made up for with how fast the drying went. The clothes came out soft and without wrinkles. I couldn't be happier with the way both performed.

• goodkine
    16 years ago

dona0,

was it installed by the store who sold it or by a Miele licensed staff person? Is there any weird connection hook-ups in the back for converting power?

Or are the new Miele's built for the USA market and already ready-to-plug-in?

• gordonr
    16 years ago

goodkine,

The W4840 has a standard 3 prong 120V-15A male electrical plug. It's advisable (and probably code) to have a dedicated circuit for the washer.

The 9820 being a gas dryer will also have the same electrical connection as the washer.

• goodkine
    16 years ago

thanks gordonr,

I just found out that the Miele 4840 washer was recalled. I called the store to order one and they said it was a wiring/electrical issue.

Even more intersting was that the store offered a five year extended warranty (provided by GE) that offered "unlimited repair calls" by a licensed Miele tech (from GE). Does that sound fishy? So if one of these "Miele-licenced-GE-techs" come to install the machine, do I get the extra year warranty from Miele?

I'm curious if that seems standard or if the store is giving me some malarky...

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

I just found out that the Miele 4840 washer was recalled. I called the store to order one and they said it was a wiring/electrical issue.
    Well, thats interesting as I just got off the telephone with Miele USA Corporate, and they know nothing about it.

Since I have run the gauntlet dealing with Mieles extended warranty, here is what I found:

If you are looking for the additional one year warranty (making it a two-year factory warranty; if this additional one-year promotion is still in effect) through Miele the washer and dryer must be installed by a Miele authorized installer; call Miele as they have a list of authorized installers in your area. The store that sells you the units must be an authorized dealer (again, call Miele to determine whether they are or not), and the authorized installer must sign and then submit a form directly to Miele that they have installed the unitthe consumer cannot send in the form.

You can purchase Miele extended five-year warranty directly through Miele on their website.

I originally purchased what I later learned was the GE warranty, much to my chagrin, and have since fought to receive a refund as we are going through Miele. A licensed Miele tech is not going to have the software that Miele has for its service techs, therefor, and unless Miele has changes in the works, you cannot get the latest firmware uploaded into your units; the only exception might be the forthcoming MieleVision Module that connects to Miele directly through the consumers home PC allowing programming through Miele without a service visit.

• dona0
    16 years ago

Everything looks normal in the back of the machine, we are building so we
    looked at the installation manual before setting up, and made sure we put
    the washer hookup on the right and all connections at same height as both
    machines. Nothing funky, just plugged right in. We bought from authorized dealers with authorized installers and got the extra year of warranty. There is only one miele guy in our state and I spoke with him before I bought and he said he does any repair work that needs to be done but he will only install if that is your personal preference and since we live 2 hours from anything you have to pay his travel for install but not for repair. I arranged for the store to install them when my plumber was going to be there, that way he could over see them.

• goodkine
    16 years ago

f451,

The store i'm buying from assured me the $129.00 five year would cover all repairs to the Miele, and that yes, the tech would probably not have the tech gizmos to update the washer electronically. In the five years that I will have the Miele under warranty, I'm certain that module will be in place and I can do it myself... then my wife will stand behind me and ridicule me on what a dork I am.

Only tricky thing about the warranty is that even though you are paying for "5" years, since you'll get two from Miele already, you really are only paying for three years since they aren't concurrent.

dona0, thanks for the response!

I too am paying the extra delivery charge to have the store's licenced Miele tech install the units. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of building the units custom to the washer-right-side preference and will have to rely on the skill of the tech to extend with longer hoses. The store mgr assured me if he needed more stuff, that he would radio him to go to home depot. Oh joy.

FYI, I'm hoping i do not have the loud-noise-through-the-dryer-vent issue i have read in other threads.

• goodkine
    16 years ago

f151,

About the recall, I spoke to the store mgr (Reid's Appliances) and he said that Miele sent them a list of certain serial numbers that were affected by the recall. It didn't sound like a large number so I'm not surprised corporate didn't elaborate on it for you.

Basically, the mgr said they checked their inventory to see if any of their serial numbers matched, swaped out those machines, and haven't had any issues from customers who owned the models they sold previously with the recalled serial numbers anyway.

In any case, i'm taking the plunge. The store is 75 miles away but decided they would deliver and install for a $150 charge. I'll pay it. And advise them to bring extra materials for the right/left swap positioning they'll have to do.

As for the noisy duct, it's built right into the the wall and shoots outside... don't know if it's 4" but even if its not, or even if its loud, I sure as heck ain't gonna tear apart my wall just to extend the size of the duct.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

After you get your warranty will it show up in the Miele online computer? $129 is covering a washer and dryer? I think at this point I would still want to purchase the warranty directly from Miele. That way you purchase it, they send you the contract with the terms and everything gets recorded. If you get the contract from Reids will the contract paperwork be sent from Miele?

I am not sure about making firmware upgrades by yourself.
    In the current method the tech uses an optical connection from a laptop to the machine. This enables him/her to read out the data in the machines computer, find out any problems recorded in the operation log that the machine keeps, check on various components, watch component feedback on the computer screen as the machine is running, and make configuration changes. They can also force the machine to do things like spin, rinse,fill, move through the cycles and so on. How do you think you will get the software and do the upgrades yourself? If I were Miele I would not allow folks to have my software on their laptops. Maybe they will - but judging from the amount of detailed information Miele USA includes in their user manuals for the NA market(considerably less than other countries) I dunno.

Anyway this thread is for good things only, so enjoy your new machines!

• goodkine
    16 years ago

jerrod,

apparently there is a different "cartridge like" slot in the back of the washer for a future hardware piece known as a "module" that will work as a wifi device to your laptop... like i said, in 5 years it will have been tweaked out and you'll be able to do stuff yourself... in fact i think that the design of that module will allow for you to get info on your own without the tech having to come...

the $129 is per machine, and yes, they do register the warranty with Miele... at least i hope so! I haven't checked what the warranty price from Miele direct is...

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

The MieleVision Module is a spinoff off out Mieles commercial lineup in Europe so it hit the States up and running with no learning curve on Miele's part. Here is some information (you will have to translate it): MieleLogic

Miele has already established some of the details, and warranty (one-year standard, and five-year extended). The module will be available for their new refrigeration units (I do not know if all the units will accept the module) that should already be here in the States as the release date was March 2008.

I have seen none of details of what MieleVision will specially allow the user to do, but I do not see uploading firmware revisions as an issue as many computer peripherals today allow such uploads, however, I do not know Miele Terms and Conditions nor their EULA. How Miele is going to structure the service has not been released so it is a waiting game at this point. Ideal candidates are owners like Gordon, and people who are geographically far from their Miele Service Representative; owners like me, who reside in highly urban areas might not need such a Module (I still want it) as I am 23.3 miles from the major Miele service office, so getting service is not an issue.

• janieo
    16 years ago

fahrenheit451, I live in West Los Angeles and have had the 4840 and 9820 in my appliance dealer's warehouse since November, '07 (my move-in date should have been January, '08....). Am I correct in understanding that the older of the new 4840's are different from the ones currently being sold? Should I exchange my warehoused ones for later constructed ones? Also, my appliance store (Snyder Diamond) has assured me that I will get top installation etc. Should I still demand only Miele service installation? We had a major selling job by the dealership after we came in to get Duets. I just want to make sure we get "no questions asked" service from Miele. Thanks so much.
    Janie O

• somonica
    16 years ago

Hi! I'm new here!! I've just got my W4840 6 weeks ago, and I like it a lot!! What kinds of detergent you use?? I don't like the Tide Free HE liquid, way too much suds for my soft water.....

{{gwi:2018852}}

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

Janie O,

Is Snyder Diamond holding a specific pair for you or are they simply pulling from inventory? There is no washer difference, however, all manufacturers reserve the right to change features and specifications without prior notification. There were issues with the door sagging on the washer, but Miele changed the parts to prevent it from happening. Your washer's serial number, when entered into Miele's database, can tell you whether the change was implemented in your washer. If not, Miele can install the kit in the field. There might be a difference in firmware revision within the washer and dryer's brain, but this can be updated. I believe that the firmware changes are in preparation for the MieleVision Module. Goodkine mentioned, in a previous post in this thread, that there was a recall on certain serial numbers for electrical reasons that dealers were notified of. I was unsuccessful in finding out any details, but that doesn't mean it is not true. Simply ask your dealer about it, and they can call in the serial number before delivery to determine if this is the case.

There was a safety recall on the T9820 dryer: Miele Gas Dryer T 9820 Safety Assurance Initiative
    To Ensure Proper Installation of Your Dryer.
    Your installer will make sure that yours in not part of the recall (ours wasn't).

Miele prefers that the units are installed by authorized Miele installers. You need to call Miele at (800) 991-9380 and inquire about whether they are still running the additional one-year warranty if you purchase and install through a Miele authorized dealer and installer; Miele can tell you who is authorized. When the authorized installer is finished, the installer directly submits paperwork to Miele. This is important in your case as you have not yet installed your units, and you want your warranty to start when they are installed, and not when you purchased; once your units are in Miele's database you are set. When you are on the telephone to Miele also inquire whether they are still offering the ninety day money back guarantee it you are unsatisfied with the washer.

Be sure to apply for your $250 rebate (you're lucky as we only have a $100 rebate in Orange County). The W4840 is on the list for the rebate qualifications: Los Angeles Department of Water & Power High-Efficiency Clothes Washer Rebate Program

My wife and I thoroughly enjoy our units with no buyer's remorse. We hope you enjoy yours too!

• janieo
    16 years ago

Dear fahrenheit451, What a perfect response. I am calling Snyder Diamond tomorrow to inquire about the state of my appliances. I am now much more educated (I hope not more than they)and will definitely ask for the authorized installers.
    Thanks so much and I hope you continue to enjoy your washing. What I have most missed living in a fourth floor apartment during this protracted remodel has been the luxury of my own washer and dryer. I've developed a quarter fetish (wash and dry are each 1.50 of coins!!!).
    Janie O

• gordonr
    16 years ago

fahrenheit451,

re: Miele Vision Module...

"...Ideal candidates are owners like Gordon..." Unless it costs next to nothing I probably wouldn't bother. Maybe I don't get the overall vision and need, but once you get the machine installed I just don't see the overall value to the majority of customers. Maybe they get a complaint here or there about someone wanting more water in the drum or a need to reduce maximum spin speed because of a marginal 2nd floor install. What else gets changed? Even these two more common situations can be dealt with in another way. For example, a button on the front that gave the option for more water would solve many complaints. On the spin thing, LG has implemented something where the machine adapts automatically if it senses the machine can't handle the highest speed spins. Not really a big fan of this approach, but just mention it to illustrate a point (actually I like our old Asko where you could set the spin speed in 100rpm increments right from the front panel). The real value of this module is for Miele to lower their internal service costs. Since most of these shake-out issues get resolved in the first year when the machine is under warranty what incentive exists for the end user to buy this module unless it's just packaged as part of a service contract and the contract cost is still competitive with other options out there. With all this said, if someone wants to buy me a vision module I'd be glad to test it out :-)

The experience crooks101 had lead me to believe the machine's firmware couldn't be field upgraded. It would certainly be great if that wasn't true. The W4840 hardware seems pretty good, but have to admit it would be nice to see revised firmware that would allow the machine to operate with a bit more finesse and enable some new features.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

I suspect that if the 4840 has the PC stamp on the control panel like my T9820 dryer does then the firmware can be updated and adjusted - but perhaps Miele doesnt have updates available yet.

I like the flexibility of being able to increment spins speeds. Miele does(or at least did) make a model that allows spin speed adjustment in increments of 10RPMS, and temp increments in increments of 10C. Of course that is not sold in NA.

In my older model the machine will reduce the spin speed if it is having trouble balancing the load and will also add an extra rinse if this happens during the rinse portion of the program, so least I know Miele knows how to do this. Perhaps the 4840 will do this too, then again extra rinse = extra water - not 2008 energy compliant so maybe not.

Gordonr - you mention finesse. What do you mean?

• gordonr
    16 years ago

jerrod6,.

Finesse would be things like...

* Adapt cycle times to reflect the need to heat water to the desired temperature for any selection of cycle and temperature. Now you have to choose an extended wash option to give the heater more time to work. This extended option has a fixed additive time, and all that time may not be necessary.

* The HE5t does some gentle tumbles at the end to de-plaster the clothing from the drum. Nice touch.

Extra features would be things like...

* Choose higher water levels

* Profile wash

* Heater in Normal

* Make some of the cycle predefined options less restrictive. For example Sanitary automatically turns on heavy soil and you can't turn it off.

* Why allow things like "sensitive" to only be changed in the first 6 minutes? It seems like anytime before the end of the first rinse should work.

• goodkine
    16 years ago

gordonr is all about MORE WATER... *laughing*

now you have me paranoid! the water level will be the first thing i examine during the first few washes...

there HAS to be something later that lets you add more water... there just HAS to be...

you want water... i want higher temp... darn skippy i'll be keeping my eye on the future firm/software...

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

I would like to forget about having a 120V machine. I would like them to make a 220V version so that those that have it can use it. That might solve the heater issue.

• gordonr
    16 years ago

jerrod6,

I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for a large sized 220V machine. It just made so much sense that the euro-makers would understand the value and non-compromising attributes of going that way. As each new machine came out my hopes kept getting lower and lower. After the W48xx machines were announced I even sent an email to Asko (Sweden) as the last manufacturer yet to come to market with a uber-sized machine explaining why such a machine was badly needed and also asking them to consider giving the fine control allowed in their old machines. Once seeing the preview info on the new Asko I finally gave up on the idea a 220V big machine. Just don't see them going back at this point. Just keep your current machine running as long as you can.

Here is another example of the needed flexibility that drove crooks101 crazy...

Had some very dirty kids winter jackets to wash. The W4840 has an "Outerware" cycle. The drum action and water level are well designed for this purpose. This is the kind of excellent cycle design you expect from Miele. However, it won't let you choose any temperature but "cold". I wanted to do the jackets in "warm" but no luck. Tried to use the "Custom" cycle but it just doesn't fill with enough water for proper wash action (clothing just saturated plus ~16 oz visible puddle at the bottom). Ended up using the "Comforter" setting ("warm" can be chosen), but just allowing a bit more flexibility to choose cycle temp/spin/options would have been better. The Miele reminds me of how electronic meat thermometers are now designed. Because the USDA says you must cook hamburger well done, the thermometers don't give you the option to monitor anything but having them well done (at least with the thermometer you can just look at the actual reading and ignore the rest). By it's design, Miele is saying, "You must wash your jackets in cold or you don't do it in our washer".

Another irrational cycle setup is with "Quick Rinse". It won't allow you to choose "max spin". Huh? I'd guess Miele believes this is the setting for things like bathing suits where you may just need to rinse out the clorine, but what harm can come from allowing a max spin. Quick Rinse is also a way of getting two additional rinses after a regular wash for those times when you just need more rinsing. For that type of use a max spin may be appropriate.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

Quick rinse sounds like the fine rinse option on my machine, two rinses and a spin...but you can pick any speed you want for the spin.

• flyingkite
    16 years ago

fahrenheit_451,

Thank you for your detailed report, especially for mentioning the issue with the elastic waistbands. I called Miele support and they told me how to reprogram my dryer the old fashion way, i.e. just pressing & holding buttons on the control panel.

• janieo
    16 years ago

Have any of you wise users of the Miele 4840's and 9820's (gordonr, jerrod, fahrenheit451) thought about passing this blog onto Miele? I would think (hope)they could benefit from your experience and our wants!!!Most of us want flexibility in our choices of water level, heat, and time of cycle. To be forced to use their thinking when it doesn't suit our needs is ridiculous.
    Janie O

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

Hi! I'm new here!! I've just got my W4840 6 weeks ago, and I like it a lot!! What kinds of detergent you use?? I don't like the Tide Free HE liquid, way too much suds for my soft water.....
    We are using Ecover Liquid Laundry Wash (it is HE rated). You should be able to use the Tide HE you purchased. How much are you using in each wash? Miele is also releasing their new eco-friendly detergents.

• jerrod6
    16 years ago

I have been using the Miele detergents(for colors, Ultra white, FS, dedicates) for a month or more and they work very well. They are not cheap. Before that I used(and still use since I have it) German PERSIL Megaperls. Also not cheap. The Miele products contain dosing instructions for large and small machines but I use way less than recommended.

I like the Miele detergent because I use very little and it rinses well. I like the FS because the clothes smell clean and not left with any heavy scent. I chose these over Tide He and most liquids because they rinse better in my conditions.

Bio-Kleen also washes and rinses well, but doesn't quite clean whites(in my conditions) as well as Miele or PERSIL.

I use no chlorine bleach or other additives and I am happy with the results.

• fahrenheit_451
    16 years ago

...the gasket (door-tub seal) on my machine looks twisted and uneven.

Gordon,

What was the outcome regarding the door gasket? Was it replaced, adjusted, or simply remained the same? I think it is pretty clever how Miele designed the front fascia to the be removed.

• gordonr
    16 years ago

fahrenheit,

It was just replaced this morning. Do you have a webcam inside my house :-) Told you I was afraid that Miele Vision module was going to create privacy issues!

The short answer - the gasket replacement was done skillfully and without rush by the local guy. Looks nice and even as expected now. The original gasket must have been poorly molded or something. He originally tried just adjusting the one in place and it wouldn't correct the problem. Kind of wonder what kind of QC Miele has to let somethig like that through.

The longer story...
    The local guy doing it has been doing appliance repair for quite some time, but this was the first W48xx he has worked on. Didn't initally give me a great feeling, but I saw he worked in a very methodical way, never forcing anything and calling for help when he got stuck. He was good about keeping track of all the parts, and after the machine was back together there weren't any extra parts (always a good sign). He did the entire job without moving the machine from it's leveled spot knowing what a PITA it can be getting things just right. The machine didn't come apart quite as easily as you'd think. The top was removed, the bezel of the control panel had to be carefully seperated from the keypad electronic panel and then a tray that hold both in place removed. Door latch removed and interlock between the latch and despensing drawer removed. Then the front comes off. He commented on how nicely built and higher quality everything appeared vs. other products on the market. He wasn't very happy with the telephone support he got from technican Miele support in Princeton. He got the information he needed, but the person was short with him, arrogant and left a distasteful impression in the mind of the local tech. I took pictures of the insides while the machine was partially disassembled. Overall, I was very happy with the service provided by the local repair guy. He does get to go to the various Miele training seminars, but hasn't been to one on this washer yet.

• ccc123
    15 years ago

It's been almost a year since this thread was started.

Does everyone still love their Miele 4840? Any new insights?

We're looking at the 4840 washer & matching electric dryer.

Any thoughts, or advice, would be much appreciated. Thanks.

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

Does everyone still love their Miele 4840? Any new insights?We still love ours, but there are little items that need attention at the factory level:

1) We are empty nesters so we are the only ones who use the units along with the occasional housekeeper and both the dryer and the washer doors have sagged over time to where they both need adjusting to correct the latches for proper clearance. No one has ever leaned-on or draped clothes over the doors yet they sagged although Miele took measures to correct the sagging washer door. I would say that the washer is near perfection when it comes to cleaning, and has the best handwash cycle we have ever used.

2) Both units are firmware upgradable, but this requires a Miele service tech to upgrade and a service rep call. This is a shame in today's world where a USB port on each unit would have easily resolved the issue and made for much happier owners. That being said the dryer needs to be fine-tuned to your area, and your usageÑsomething that takes time as you learn how to use the dryer and cannot be done in one day or one tech visit.

3) The quality of units makes us very happy each time we go to use the units as they are so very well made. No regrets on the purchase and the items mentioned can be corrected.

P.S. Purchase the pedestals as my wife insisted that we not do so, but now wishes we had.

• ccc123
    15 years ago

Thank you for the detailed info. This thread, and all of your comments, have been very helpful. Thanks!

• keleen
    15 years ago

I'm having a problem with my new W4840. When I load clothes, then start on a normal load, the machine stops and "Pause" comes onto the screeen, and the start button blinks. Sometimes this happens three times before the machine will start, and the minutes will start ticking away. Any suggestions?

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

I answered in the new thread that you started.

• tallbear
    14 years ago

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP! I like our 2 1/2 week old Miele washer/dryer for all the above stated reasons, however my problem is getting answers from Miele Customer Care as well Tech Support. The responses, instead of direct documented answers, are nothing more than guesses and contradictions. This has been frustrating beyond belief.

The one issue I am having is my washer, model 4840, is not going into the 'Anti-crease' program as described & pictured in the Operating Instruction book; pages 17 & 25. Miele has given me contradictory answers i.e. the 'Anti-crease' will display at program end AFTER a period of about 10-30 minutes, to it is not an option on this unit. So why is it in the book? Why doesn't anyone seem to know this?

My concern here, is my machine malfunctioning?

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any information from all of you experienced users of this unit.

• suburbanmd
    14 years ago

I answered in the new thread that you started.