Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with utility room layout

Posted by kassikolo (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 10:14

We have a small utility room (6' x 9')and i am trying to find the best way to utilize it.
-Should i stack the washer and dryer on top of each other?
-Where is the best place for dirty clothes hampers?

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with utility room layout

Hi is the sink free staning or in a cabinet. If it were free standing and there were enough room under if for a bamboo type hamper with a cotton lining I would do that. Like maybe two box type hampers. If the sink is in a cabinet then I would stack the washer and dryer, create a free standing table in between the sink and the washer and dryer on the far wall. That way you have storage for the dirty clothes underneath, yet a clean work surface to say, iron, fold, or pre treat the dirty clothes!

Warren

o

I'm bad at drawings but here's how I would do it. The shelves on the left side attached underneath the counter top are for holding tide bottles, powder, fabric softener, irons or whatever else you may have!

o

Consider:

*pocket door
*counter top with storage beneath on 5'8" wall
*hanging rod above counter with wall cabinet(s)
*deep laundry/utility sink inset into counter
*if you plan on ironing in the space, make sure there is a conveniently located electrical outlet.

o

I like the idea with the counter! Alternatively, you might also consider a self-made pedestal (or have someone make it) to store laundry baskets. Like in the example video.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example

o

Also where the hampers are I'd attach some sort of fabric facing to hide the hampers. Maybe like Velcro along the top of the fabric so you can just "tear" fabric panels off or out of the way to get to he hampers. Maybe a fabric that matches the colors of the room?

o

Fastonetime-Those are great ideas, i think i will go for it,thank you

o

Well thank you Kassi. Take photos when you get done. I'd love to see!

o

Kassi-I'm having issues with my design program, so I can't do a custom layout for you, but I did one for another GW member a while back that would give you some ideas on maximizing the space you have. The main part of the utility/laundry room dimensions were similar to yours @ 7x10. Yours would be an 'L' shape using the back wall and the left wall in the layouts/pics in the linked thread.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Similar Utility/Laundry Room Layout

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here