Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
impliedconsent

LG-Kenmore Top Load Recall

impliedconsent
11 years ago

The US Consumer Product Safety Commission - Recent Recalls and Product Safety News - LG Recalls Top-Loading Washing Machines Due to Risk of Injury:

//////
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 18, 2012
Release #13-073

LG Recall Hotline: (855) 400-4639
Sears Recall Hotline: (888) 812-2935
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

LG Recalls Top-Loading Washing Machines Due to Risk of Injury

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Top-Loading Washing Machines

Units: About 457,000

Manufacturer: LG Electronics Inc., of South Korea

Hazard: An unbalanced load can cause the washing machine to shake excessively and the drum to come loose during use, posing a risk of injury to consumers and property damage to the surrounding area.

Incidents/Injuries: LG has received at least 343 reports of washing machines vibrating excessively, of which at least 187 involved minor property damage. One minor injury has been reported.

Description: The recall involves three LG and three Kenmore Elite Brand top-loading washing machine models manufactured between February 2010 and November 2011. The units come in beige, white and graphite steel colors. Recalled washing machines have the following model and serial number ranges:
LG WT5001CW,WT5101HV,WT5101HW 002KW******* through 111KW*******

Kenmore Elite 29002,29272,29278 005KW******* through 111KW*******
/////////////

Link: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml13/13073.html

///////////////

I just did this for my WT5101, 006xxxxxx. The number does go to a recall center - but - since the recall just went out today - the recall center is having problems processing the request. Still on hold.

Here is a link that might be useful: LG Recalls Top-Loading Washing Machines Due to Risk of Injury

Comments (42)

• impliedconsent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Apparently, this recall is too new, so they didn't have it. Was transferred to LG (actual). Sending a technician to repair in 2-days. Not bad response. I actually do not see the problem, this is more of a preventative measure for me.

• georgect
    11 years ago

It's about time.

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

This came too late as my kenmore elite that had the touch screen blew up. Also I'm guessing that the new model I have coming Thursday wt4870 has no recall and should be "fixed" since its a new model.

I wonder what the fix for these washers is. A new control board? Or sensors? I read that they come with a new warning label about waterproof mattress. The washer I looked at at Home Depot wt4870 already had this new warning label near the bleach dispenser. Would love to hear what they did or installed to fix this?

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

It appears so. Searspartsdirect lists two different part numbers for the suspension struts for the wt4870 versus the other LG washers mentioned in the recall. Sears has pulled the Kenmore Elite 29002,29272,29278 off their website.

Alex

• sparky823
    11 years ago

I would think they would change the plastic brackets at the top that holds everything up and go with stronger ones like Samsung?. I wonder if the folks that got nothing out of theirs exploding are still out of luck since they got rid of theirs? If so, thats hardly fair.

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

Makes one wonder why Consumer Reports doesn't run their washers through a durability test. This is what happened during such a durability test of our consumer magazine: two of three washers of the same model blew apart during the spin cycle:

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is my thread on this with pictures

• mrb627
    11 years ago

I wonder if the fix is to apply a decal to the top of the machine warning that it could be hazardous if improperly used.

MRB

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

Here's the new label. I just bought and received the new model wt4870

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

Here's the washer

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

This is why I love this washer. Uses a lot a lot of water. This is on the normal cycle. Full to the rim!

• spross
    11 years ago

I am actually on my second LG washer. The first one, purchased in 2011, became unbalanced with only 1 set of queen size sheets in it, breaking the support brackets and the spinning drum blew out of the encasement, into the dryer and landing into the wall - 3 feet from it's original position. LG sent out a replacement (3/2012). New washer is exhibiting the same behavior. I replied to the recall, waited on hold for 40 min. Service tech was out today. He downloaded new program and applied a warning sticker. (a sticker? really?) We'll see if this new download works...I'm doubtful. Would rather have my money back. Support brackets and metal posts are a joke. Very bad design. Expected better from LG.

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

I had the kenmore elite touch screen made by LG. I was nervous to pick this washer. I do notice a BIG difference in the spin cycle. Instead of ramping up when starting. Now it drains all the water. Then sits. And then drains the water again before starting to spin very slowly. Then it gains speed a minute or two later, keeps the speed and then stops. Drains and then starts to spin again, starting out very very slowly then gradually increasing speed. I can see how it's "better" but it seems like a longer, cut in half spin cycle. It doesn't keep full spin speed the whole cycle once started.

• georgect
    11 years ago

@fastonetime...

I don't know, that water level looks TOO high.
    About the new spin feature doing all that draining, sitting, draining, then spinning, then stopping, then starting very very slowly sounds awfully tedious and time consuming.

I just don't trust LG.

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

The cycle starts to spin at 13 minutes. Drains. Then stops, the drains the rest of the water out. Starts to spin slowly then gradually increasing speed. At the 9 minute mark it stops spinning completely. The drains. Then starts to spin again.

• gates1
    11 years ago

I have a this washer, bought it in Nov. 2010, I wash king size blankets, sheets, and comforters in mind and never had a problem with it. If it goes unbalanced, it shuts off and lets me know.

• spross
    11 years ago

@fastonetime

I'd be very worried about that much water in the tub on a normal cycle setting. I know by holding down the extra rinse button for 3 seconds you can add extra water, so I wonder if yours is stuck on. If this is happening for each load you do regardless of how much is in it, I would call LG and see if this is normal or risk potential flooding.

• spross
    11 years ago

**UPDATE** 12-21-12

LG Serviceman was out to install the Recall update. Uploaded computer program. Also applied a warning sticker (dumb). I then did a small load of towels (6)..and bang bang bang....off balance and drum hitting sides of machine. Here we go again. Problem not fixed. I'm not surprised.

To anyone else owning this machine....when you turn the machine on to start and the machine "load sensor" kicks in - does it mangle up your laundry and ball it up to one side of the machine (causing it to start off, off balance). I usually have to wait for it to start filling with water then reposition the laundry. Such a pain. Is it just me??

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

Spross. Yes it always fills that high. And my previous kenmore elite made by lg, did the same thing. Filled all the way up. I never use the add more water cuz it never needs it as seen in the photo! Add more water would probably flood!

And I have the new model that was supposed to be fixed. And it shakes violently and also bangs on any size load. And won't stop itself. I am so disappointed in this machine. Sears exchanged it for the Samsung 456 TL Won't get it till Thursday. Hope it's way better!

• sparky823
    11 years ago

Warren-if you try a different cycle it fills full everytime? Too Bad you have the balance/bangin problem cause that would be like the "old" machines with the tub full of water. Good rinses.

Maybe you will like the Samsung!

• gates1
    11 years ago

It is not suppose to fill all the time like that, Mine sure doesnt and you got so few items in it, You need to make a service call for that. Im glad mine doesnt bang during the spin cycle

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

Yes all the cycles do it. Even rinse and spin. I check it every time and they're all full fills. No matter how I fill it with clothes. I think that's why the cycles say 46 minutes, then after the load sense is done, adds 10 more minutes, to fill up the tub with all that water. What a waste of time. :(

• spross
    11 years ago

The last time I was at the store I looked at other HE top loading machines, since it is inevitable that I will be in the market for a new one at any time. I noticed that the drum seemed to freely move easily in all of them, and could manually move it to hit the sides and bang. They all shared the same type of flawed design.

I think I'll have to go back to the good ole agitator type machine if I want to avoid another lemon. (My current LG was replaced by a Kenmore HE front loader, only lasted 3 years. - I give up on getting the newest latest and greatest.)

Maybe beating my laundry in the river on a rock will be a better option.

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

I washed two jeans on delicate and look again how much water. This lg is stupid. The load sending really sensed a whole load of clothes? Requires that much water for two jeans?

• impliedconsent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had the 'recall' done this morning. Unlike posters above, the technician replaced the control board (the board behind the pretty control panel). As explained, the new control board will prevent high speed spin when 'bulky-bedding' is selected. Before the replacement the problem, for example, you were to wash a comforter. During the spin cycle, the comforter would billow (or balloon) so high that it would force the lid to expand, and in some instances, explode. Now, when bulky-bedding is selected, the spin cycle is reduced to maximum spin cycle 'Medium'. This reduces the amount of forced air into the waterproof/ resistant materials.

The replacement took 10min, the technician was in/out without any disruption. Fairly impressed. Again, I have never had the problem, this is preventive maintenance, but it sure gives me peace of mind.

• cross_stitch
    11 years ago

I own this washer and one reason I selected it was for its water conservation. Fastonetime, I believe the amount of water in your photo definitely shows there is something wrong with the weight sensor since the machine weighs the load before filling then adds water accordingly. That's what all the initial stirring and shaking is about. To fill to the brim is a huge waste of water, not to mention a overflow hazard. Plus it dilutes the detergent to such an extent that I'd expect the cleaning ability is decreased substantially.

My biggest disappointment has been the "Hot" setting -- it's a joke. Even when I run the hottest water (steaming) in the adjacent sink, the best I get in the LG washer is too cool to bathe a baby.

I've had no problem with the violent spinning, but guess I'll call Sears where I bought the machine and arrange a tech visit for the repair.

• gates1
    11 years ago

Cross Stitch, I too have the same washer and your right, the hot water is not hot at all. That how the machine works, due to new regulations on washers. I just turn my cold water supply off and let it fill that way. Even the Samsung HE toploaders do this as I have used one at my brothers. The samsung washer is smarter, it knows if you turn the cold water off on it and it will not fill.

• doxiechon
    11 years ago

I was just notified from the appliance store that I bought the washer from. And my washer is included in the recall. I'm really pretty upset about it too. From day one, my washer would become unbalanced very easily. I never followed up on it, figuring it was just the nature of the top-loader, and chocked it up to my bad luck, and vowed never to get another top loader again. I had a front loader LG before this and never had a problem with it. Why did I go with the front loader? We moved and had some space restriction which I thought a toploader would help with.

I have hated this machine since day one. And I loved my previous LG frontloader and dryer. I'm not holding out hope that their "fix" will fix anything.... especially based on other's comments here.

We'll see and I'll report back after the "fix" has been done.

• spross
    11 years ago

I was surprised to see how many videos there were on YOU TUBE about this machine exploding. Here is one, looks exactly like mine did when is blew up. I wish I had seen this a few years back before I bought this lemon.

Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Washer explodes

• berryfarm
    11 years ago

Finally! One year ago, our LG5101 had this happen. Now, it didn't explode, but the bolt on the bottom that held everything together came apart, and right after, the panel died. It took over three weeks for LG to fix the washing machine. It was a nightmare - their customer service was terrible and the only authorized repair shop was over an hour away - and served a three county metro area of about 1 million people. I had to go the the laundromat for three weeks - taking clothing and bed linens from three members of my household that had the stomach virus!

The washer has been functional since then. However, today I put in a load on HOT, and the entire tub of water was cold. I came on garden web to browse the laundry forums and found this recall. Our LG washing machine will be headed for the dumpster by the end of the week - and I am going to look for a front loader - definitely not made by LG, though.

• doxiechon
    11 years ago

This is not going well for me. For almost two weeks I have been trying to get an appt for repair service regarding this recall through the LG Recall phone number.

Now get this...... this phone number first goes to a call center in PANAMA CITY, PANAMA, where they then transfer me to a Call Center in the PHILLIPINES. I'm not kidding. And I can barely understand their English in the PHILLIPINES.

They keep trying to make an service appt for me with appliance stores in my area (where I bought it is 60 miles away, where I moved from, but they were willing to deliver it here. They gave me the best deal at the time.) They are having a hard time finding a place that will do a recall service and/or in my area. This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

i am on the phone with them now. will report back.

• nmajdan
    11 years ago

Hey everyone. Came across this discussion via a Google search. I, too, am having some issues with my WT5101HV washer. I had the recall fix performed a couple months ago. Before the fix, we did not have any issues with our drier, we just figured we'd get the recall fix before we started seeing the symptoms that caused it in the first place.

Mistake.

The recall involved updating the software and adding the sticker. Ever since, our washer now is super-sensitive with its balancing. It is constantly balancing in the spin cycle. Our regular loads now take 3-4 hours to complete. Also, probably about 75% of our loads now stop with the un-balanced error and we just have to shift stuff around and restart. Makes doing unassisted loads impossible.

It is beyond frustrating.

I called LG yesterday and the (foreign) rep was very nice and extended my warranty so I could get a service call free of charge. I am now waiting a call from a local repair guy to schedule them to come out and look at it.

• jegyed
    11 years ago

Same issue _ I had no problems prior to the recall and now every cycle becomes unbalanced and fills drains spins -repeat for at least an hour. The wash machine is no longer usable. I am so mad.

• PeteTheGreek
    11 years ago

I have one of these washers -- a Kenmore Elite. My washer was basically fine until after the software update. The only problem was the unbalanced load was too sensitive. After the software upgrade, my washer is almost unusable. About every second or third load the unbalanced load cycle begins where the washer adds water, attempts to balance the load, spins, drains and starts over. This can cause the wash cycle to run for over THREE hours, which is totally unacceptable to me.
    I went back to the Sears store where I purchased the washer and complained. A department manager tried to help by calling Sears repair and then LG. Both parties offered no solution. They contend that this is the way the washer is designed to operate. I refuse to accept this!
    My plan of action is this:
    1) I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.
    2) If I get no satisfaction from the BBB, I will file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission. There is no way this washer can be certified HE (high efficient) when it runs for over three hours and wastes gallons of water.
    3) If LG does not quickly change its position on this mater, I predict there will be a Class Action lawsuit which I will attempt to start if no one else has.

• georgect
    11 years ago

LG should be sued.

I'm not one to jump on the "sue" bandwagon but LG is way out of line and they show that they just don't give a damn now that they have your (any customers) money.

"a three hour cycle is how the washer is supposed to operate" that's insane.

If Sears isn't willing to exchange the LG for another brand, I would drop the washer off at their front door and just leave it there and I wouldn't shop there any more.

It's hard to believe no one is stepping up to the plate to make the (battered) customer satisfied.

• Jen1234
    11 years ago

It is unfortunate that we have all had very simular issues.
    I was always babysitting my washer before I had the upgrade done and tried several different loading techniques. At the beginning of January a LG tech and his trainer came out and did a software upgrade. After they left my machine was worse. The tech that was being trained during the prior service call came back and replaced the PCB Board and a sensor. Still didnt work right. He then came back and replaced the clutch housing. It worked okay for about a month if I continued to babysit it then one day it started leaking all over the place and was jumping on the spin cycle. I called for service again and requested the same LG tech because he had already been working on it. They informed me that they no longer covered my area. Another service company finally came out and he took apart my washer and found that the inner drum had literally eaten away at the outer drum which is made of plastic. Now I have no washer and my linolium floor is destroyed. LG said that they have me set up with a replacement but wont send the new washer till my floor is repaired. I have now graduated to the legal department and am beside myself. I have five children so I am very dependant on my washer and recently had extensive knee surgery so a laundry mat is not an option.

• PeteTheGreek
    11 years ago

Because of my complaint to the Better Business Bureau,
    Sears has chosen to replace my washer. This was done on April 8, 2013. We haven't washed yet so I don't know if the problem is fixed or there will be new ones. I was told this is the new model to replace the old one which is no longer produced.

• Volant
    10 years ago

First, i want to say the recall is a joke!

My BBB complain to LG didn't do a thing. I have been on the phone with LG for many hours. My washer was working fine before the update. I have not have any problems with it after the update either. But with the youtube videos of exploding washer, i don't dare to wash my "water-resistant" material anymore. My issues with LG is that I do wash water-resistant materials. Before the update and added page in the manual, I can wash them with out any issues. But now if my washer explodes like in all the youtube videos, LG is not responsible. They have the new hand delivered page in my manual to prove that it is my fault.

Please sign the petition on change.org to force LG into action.
    https://www.change.org/petitions/lg-electronics-replace-or-completely-fix-a-recalled-washer

Here is a link that might be useful: LG petition

• doxiechon
    10 years ago

MY UPDATE:

I finally got through to LG to schedule the recall fix. An "authorized" dealer came out and did the "fix" as described in this thread.

After the "fix", I noticed that my "delicate" and "sanitary" cycles wouldn't work. The selector knob would not even stop on those cycles. And I had absolutely NO hot water.

I called LG. They gave me a "consultation" number to include in an email to them and asked me to send a copy of my washer receipt to extend my warranty. I kept calling to follow up as to the status, and they kept telling me it was in process and they would call me back. No one ever called me. I finally asked to speak with a supervisor and finally got an "authorization" number to provide to an "authorized" dealer so that they could come out and address the new problems. All this took weeks and weeks and more weeks.

The same "authorized" dealer came out, but a different technician. He said he has never seen anything like this. He disconnected the hot water line from the washer and found that there was nothing wrong with the hot water source, it was the "program" that was preventing the hot water from dispensing and being heated by the washer. He has never seen the selector knob not stop at the "delicate" and "sanitary" cycles.

So he said he wants to replace the whole upper control piece. He is coming back this Tuesday, May 11th to do this.

I wish LG would just replace the washer. I would go back to a front loader.

This is, hands down, the worst washer I have ever owned.

I'll report back again.

• doxiechon
    10 years ago

MY UPDATE:

I finally got through to LG to schedule the recall fix. An "authorized" dealer came out and did the "fix" as described in this thread.

After the "fix", I noticed that my "delicate" and "sanitary" cycles wouldn't work. The selector knob would not even stop on those cycles. And I had absolutely NO hot water.

I called LG. They gave me a "consultation" number to include in an email to them and asked me to send a copy of my washer receipt to extend my warranty. I kept calling to follow up as to the status, and they kept telling me it was in process and they would call me back. No one ever called me. I finally asked to speak with a supervisor and finally got an "authorization" number to provide to an "authorized" dealer so that they could come out and address the new problems. All this took weeks and weeks and more weeks.

The same "authorized" dealer came out, but a different technician. He said he has never seen anything like this. He disconnected the hot water line from the washer and found that there was nothing wrong with the hot water source, it was the "program" that was preventing the hot water from dispensing and being heated by the washer. He has never seen the selector knob not stop at the "delicate" and "sanitary" cycles.

So he said he wants to replace the whole upper control piece. He is coming back this Tuesday, May 7th to do this.

I wish LG would just replace the washer. I would go back to a front loader.

This is, hands down, the worst washer I have ever owned.

I'll report back again.

This post was edited by cdeperon on Thu, May 2, 13 at 11:00

• richard_f
    10 years ago

This is really an awful case of deliberately under engineering a product. Some engineer probably tweaked their design assumptions and calculated that they could use a cheaper grade of steel in the struts and structural members and make them thinner too, increasing LG's profit margin by a few dollars a unit. "How can we make this cheaper?", when it's taken to this extreme, is the wrong question to be asking in designing a major appliance or anything else for that matter.

I throw a waterproof Gore-tex runners jacket, the kids sneakers and all sorts of heavy things into my washer all the time without the slightest problem. When they start blaming the customer for making the machine self destruct it's time to black list the brand.

• Illibuck
    10 years ago

Bought mine in December 2010 and very typical experience to what I see here. Some unbalance issues before the recall fix, and now I haven't gotten through a single load since the software update on May 2. About 3 hours is typical, re-balance, refill, etc., and I've even gone straight to rinse only or spin only to try to finish. Low, medium, high speed doesn't matter - nothing works. This product and company (LG) are an outright fraud on consumers. Often get things spun out as much as possible and throw in the dryer wetter than they should be, requiring a longer cycle to dry - so much for energy savings. Have not called customer service but am reluctant to based on others' feedback. Where's a class action lawsuit when you need one?

• roxy63
    10 years ago

I have the the LG. My model is included in the recall but I am not going to get it "fixed" because many people have more problems afterwards. I hate how it fills with such little water. Does not even cover the clothes during the entire wash cycle. I remedy this by starting the washer again after it fills. Then the water level is perfect for the load. My machine will become imbalanced when I have only a few garments in the wash. I can never leave it totally unattended for fear that it will become unbalanced. I have to open the lid and redistribute the wet clothes. I paid $1000 for this piece of crap.