Danahills
9 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 20:00

Comments (10)

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

jstell2008,

The problem is, different people suffer from different allergies, so a detergent that is hypoallergenic for one person may not be hypoallergenic for another.

Three considerations: perfumes frequently exacerbate allergies, and they add nothing to cleaning/*, so a fragrance-free detergent might be a good place to start. Second, enzymes often are irritants for those who suffer allergies, and "cold-water" formulas tend to be heavy on enzymes; so avoid "cold-water" supermarket detergents (Ecover Delicate wash is enzyme free, however) and look for "enzyme free" or "no enzymes" on the detergent label. Third, fabric softeners are waxes that reduce a fabric's ability to absorb liquids; for those rare people (like me) who are allergic to their own sweat, absorbent underwear is a necessity to wick the sweat away from the skin, and fabric softener would inhibit that wicking action.

/*footnote: Some detergents employ essential oils for cleaning, and those oils often have a fragrance; those oils are an exception to the rule that fragrances have no function in cleaning.

With the preliminaries out of the way, I suggest that you may find success with Eucalan Delicate Unscented, which is gentle enough that it need not be rinsed at all -- but, of course, you can rinse it as you would any other detergent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eucalan Delicate Unscented (also comes in 3.3 oz. size)

This post was edited by herring_maven on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 11:32

• housefairy
    10 years ago

I've never been a fan of the premeasured packets for the simple reason that it is usually just too much soap in relation to the softness of the water. (At least in my area.)

Back when the dinasours roamed the earth, I would always run extra rinses on my kids clothes when they were young. So diapers would have to go around the dial twice and regular clothes would need an extra rinse. Since you stated that your machine does not seem to be working properly, it may be as simple as you need to cut back on your soap and softener and run an extra rinse.

• oregpsnow
    10 years ago

I have many allergies and used All Free and Clear liquid successfully for years. I decided to try Method Free Clear from Target for a change and it is great, too. Smaller pump bottle and you don't use very much. The bottle lasts a long time. Works as a good stain remover when dabbed full strength on a spot. I always add the extra rinse but I don't know if it matters. Been using it for about two years with no allergic reactions and lots of clean, non-perfumed clothes.

I never use fabric softener. It is nasty stuff.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deleted

This post was edited by jstell2008 on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 20:05

• Cavimum
    10 years ago

"The problem is, different people suffer from different allergies, so a detergent that is hypoallergenic for one person may not be hypoallergenic for another."

I completely agree.

Be aware that Eucalan has lanolin, so if you have any sort of wool allergy, it could irritate your skin.

• kris_zone6
    10 years ago

I use the extra rinse with my front loader and I never have a problem with softness. I do not use softeners at all.

• Pyewacket
    7 years ago

Come up with a way to avoid static cling and I'll reconsider my use of fabric softeners. Otherwise - no way. Walking around as a giant generator is not my idea of a good time.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Zen, do you have allergies from detergent or FS?

• Pyewacket
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Not that I know of. I HAVE developed a contact dermatitis - not exactly an allergy, more like a sensitivity - to something in cheap handsoap such as you usually find in public restrooms, but otherwise - no. I assume the "cheap soap allergy" is most likely due to some chemical they use in cheap liquid soap.

I just hate the smell of laundry soap and fabric softener. It's so STRONG.

• practigal
    7 years ago

To eliminate static cling use more moisturizer on you.