Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canishel

Speed Queen and sheets

canishel
10 years ago

I'm considering getting Speed Queen washer and dryer.
My current washer (and dryer) are old Kitchenaid. Regardless of the washer agitation setting, the sheets get twisted. Not around the agitator, but around themselves, like cords. Doesn't matter if there's one sheet and, for example, a few towels, or multiple sheets.
So I stop the washer every cycle and untwist the sheet(s).
I want a top loader so that I can look at how dirty or sudsy the wash water is, or to add a missing sock.
Does the Speed Queen agitation result in twisting or bunching?

Thanks for any help.

Comments (9)

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

Watching this video, it looks like nothing tangled in there. Maybe the owner of it, who's also a member here, will chime in.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen AWN 542 Sheets & Blankets

• canishel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the video link. I never thought about looking for videos.

I can't tell if any sheets have twisted. Towards the end of the video, there's a sheet in the upper left part of the load that might be tangled. But nowhere near what I have now.

• threeapples
    10 years ago

I have a speed queen set and nothing gets twisted for me. Hope that helps.

• azmom
    10 years ago

We have Speed Queen Washer and Dryer.

All of our bedding (sheets, blankets, pillows, pillow cases, mattress covers ,comforters) are king size. We sent comforters out and wash other bedding types at home. They never get twisted in the washer.

• canishel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for responding.
    Looks like I'll get a Speed Queen set.

• azmom
    10 years ago

We have a SQ pair for over one year, we love love the set.

Do a search for "Speed Queen" on this forum and read all the postings. I believe you would be happy for your SQ purchase.

• dualref
    10 years ago

On our Whirlpool washed I have discovered if I select too high a water level the sheets will tangle. If you are washing only one set try to use the lowest water level possible. You want enough water so the sheets will turn over and that's all. The sheets won't tangle.

• canishel
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dualref, thank you for your comments.

The water level presesnts a dilemma:
    Does one use the lowest water level for a given load, thereby possibly increasing the need for additional rinses to remove residual soil, soap, or sizing, or does one use a higher water level, thereby increasing the risk of tangled sheets.

I'm not trying to start an argument here. I only wanted to mention my observations during laundry duty.

In any case, when my current washer and dryer bite the dust, I will probably get Speed Queen.

Thank all of you for your replies.

• dadoes
    10 years ago

Don't wrap sheets around the agitator when loading.

Gather a sheet into a bundle and drop it down into the drum.

Place another sheet likewise. Four sheets will arrange nicely and evenly around the drum in this fashion.

Place smaller items such as pillowcases between the larger items.