Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Whirlpool Duet, few questions....lint, detergent?

Posted by annakathleen (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 31, 13 at 9:28

Hi! Went shopping yesterday at Sears and brought home Duet Steam washer. One thing I noticed is some FL washers have a front access panel for lint filter cleaning. Mine does not. How does one clean a lint filter in a machine with no easy access panel and how often?

Also, I love Gain detergent, how little can one get away with in these machines? How much do you use? I know overuse can shorten machine life, but I still want super clean clothes!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Whirlpool Duet, few questions....lint, detergent?

One more.... If I use borax for my hard water (which i do) do I still need to run self cleaning cycle with bleach or does borax in every load take care of that?

o

There is no active lint filter in the machine ... not in the sense that it filters the water while the wash and rinse phases are running.

There is a pump protector/filter. It's sole purpose is to catch stray small objects and debris (coins, hairpins, screws, nails, gum wrappers, etc.) from getting into the pump when the water drains. It does not need to be cleaned unless/until there's an obvious problem related to it, such as an impairment in draining the water. Objects caught in the filter can accumulate some lint as the drain water passes through but the potential for that is greatly reduced if you are diligent at checking pockets and keeping stray objects out of the machine.

o

I run a cleaning cycle about once a year. I use powder detergent the majority of the time, never use liquid fabric softener, and do use borax in some of my loads. I have never had a smelly washer problem. I take the detergent tray out and leave the door open when I am finished using the washer for the day. My washer is a Kenmore made by Whirlpool and I have had it for 4 years.

o

Annakathleen, If you like Gain, you can get the HE formula and experiment with doseage. You want very few suds or none at all. You can test the water to see if it's slippery by pausing the cycle and opening the door and feeling it. Start with the smallest amount and work from there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here