Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arlosmom

choosing Electrolux model -- quality difference or just features?

arlosmom
11 years ago

So I've been researching washer/dryer options until my eyes are blurry and my head is spinning. I'm 99% sure we're going with Electrolux because of the field reversible door on the washer. Our machines will stack and will sit flush to the right side of our laundry alcove with a utility sink to the left of them, so we want our hinges on the right for both machines.

We went to the appliance store yesterday to look at the various models in person. They had all 3 of the IQ Touch models on the floor (50, 55 and 60). I'm leaning toward the 55s because I want steam capability and they have chrome trim rather than just the white trim on the 50s. For another ~ $200 I could upgrade to the 60s, which offer the allergin feature. I don't really care about this feature, but if there is also a difference in the overall quality, dependability, or longevity of the machines, I would consider upgrading. Or is the extra $ just for the bells and whistles?

I'm nervously excited about the Electrolux machines and stacked front loaders in general. I really hope I love them.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (43)

• georgect
    11 years ago

Hello arlosmom...

The more you move from 50 to 55 and 60, you gain more features like...

Larger drum size.
    Higher spin speed.
    More bells and whistles (like you said).

They are basically the same machine and you aren't buying better quality moving up the line. You are just buying more features.

Best of luck, Electrolux is my fist choice when I need to buy a new washer.

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

Yup, these washers, most likely, all share the same platform. Saves money for the manufacturer. The Frigidaire washers are mechanically also very similar the the Electrolux ones but can't reverse their doors.

From my understanding, the Add Steam will drain the main wash water, refill with some fresh water and turn the heater on thus creating steam for ten minutes. Not too impressed by this personally. The Allergy option raises the temp during the actual wash portion of the cycle to roughly 130F, which I find makes more sense.

Alex

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your responses georgect and whirlpool_trainee. I am a little intrigued by a higher spin speed since this would shorten drying time (am I correct about this?). The increase in drum size with the 60s seems tiny, and we're only a family of 2. I'm still thinking the 55s will have plenty of specialized features for me.

Whatever model I end up with will be much fancier than the basic Whirlpool set (with top load washer) I've had up till now. I'm not sure my current set cleans all that great, but they've never broken down or given me any problems. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Electroluxes are as dependable.

• Andrea P.
    11 years ago

I have an Electrolux steam model and it's not worth the extra money. It never "steams" - just wets the clothes and re-dries them but they're never all the way dry and I have to run them through the quick dry cycle.

• cj47
    11 years ago

I have the 70 model, but did the research you did back when we were shopping. This model had some things that I really wanted, like the reverse tumble that "shakes out" the clothing at the end of the cycle and reduces wrinkles--significantly. I also wanted the allergen option, and in my opinion, this option is actually worth having. Not only does it raise the temperature during the wash, but it seems to rinse better as well.

I also wanted the faster spin--it really does cut down on drying. HOWEVER...and this is a big one...that really fast spin is harder on your clothing, so you'll often dial it down a bit for knits and other things that you want to be treated more gently.

The steam option, IMO, is useless. I've used it to freshen something up quickly, but I don't think it does anything to make the clothing come out cleaner during a wash. If I want something sanitized, I run it through the sanitize cycle.

Finally, I've read a few reviews of the 55 series machine on this site and some folks have been unhappy with it. I think fastonetime returned hers due to a problem with the board, and someone else had the same problem. Those are the only two that come to mind, however. I have had my washer and dryer since last Feb and have been very happy with their performance, as I've said here more than once. I will say frankly that the number of options is ridiculous. However, the ones I decided were useful work very well, and I do use them. I guess that means that everyone might define "useful features" differently, and with all of those options you might find a few that work well for you. I really like that I can fit my king sized comforter into the washer, but I like it even more that I do fewer loads of things like towels every week, because I can do just two large loads and be done with them. :-)
    I'm sure you'll like your new set, whichever ones you choose.

Best of luck to you,
    Cj

This post was edited by cj47 on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 20:26

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

SO it sounds like the upgrade of steam that I'd get with the 55s isn't that great, but the addition of the agergin setting with the 60 is worthwhile. I have 4 animals, so the pet bedding setting on the 70 could be worthwhile. I get the advantages of faster spin speeds.

Upgrading gets pretty spendy though. I was really hoping to keep the cost for the pair under or right around $2,500 including delivery and installation. I can up that if I need to, but I'd rather not unless it really really makes sense. Here's a question though: is it possible to combine a 70 washer with a 55 or 60 dryer? I think the dimensions are the same. Or alternatively, combine a 60 washer with a 55 dryer? Dryers are pretty basic, right?

I really appreciate your insights on this!!!

• cj47
    11 years ago

The 70 washer is larger than the 60 or the 55. The dryers that pair with the 60 and 55 are probably sized for those, but you can email Electrolux and ask. They might use the same dryer drum for all of them.

The other thing I do like about the 70 dryer is the "perfect tumble" feature, which reverse tumbles things so that they don't tangle up. The washer does this, too. I'm not sure if the 60 or 55 have the 'extended tumble' feature, but this is something I use all of the time, it's actually my favorite thing about this dryer. You can set it to keep tumbling after the load is dry, cooling it down and keeping your things from sitting there getting wrinkled. That means it's fine whenever I get to it--no more dropping what I'm doing to have to go get the laundry out before it gets all smashed. I've said often that this set seems to work for me, rather than me having to work around it. The biggest downside is the cost, and that's not insignificant.

You can also watch for rebates, Electrolux runs them every now and again, and they can be pretty good.

Best of luck to you,

Cj

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

The dryers are all 8 cu. ft. from what I saw. Though I don't have the manual at hand, I suppose the Pet Bedding cycle is a standard cycle with some options automatically added (like it automatically defaults to hot water and an extra rinse or something like that). You should be able to duplicate that cycle on the 60 washer.

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

Hiya, here are the brochures from elux about the differences in the various models:

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, this information is SO helpful!!! Thank you!

It looks to me like the dimension of all 3 washers and all 3 dryers are identical, so I should be able to mix and match machines once I figure out what features are most important to me. I will confirm that with Electrolux to make sure before buying though. In comparing the feature lists side by side, I am surprised that the differences aren't greater.

So does anyone have a good feel for how significant the difference is between 1,200 vs 1,300 vs 1,400 rpms for the spin cycles? Is it really noticeable how much drier the clothes come out of the dryer? Is the washer cycle time shorter with a faster spin speed?

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

You are welcome.

I bought the 70s as the price difference for me was not a whole lot... i can say with the high spin cycle on the 70s the drying time is usually 30-45 mins with setting set to MAX dry (with cottons).

With mix and matching i think you will find that the colours are not all the same so you will have one machine one colour and the other another unless you get white or red (for the two models). Also check the various whites i have a feeling they may not be exactly all the same finish but I am not 100%.

It is true the steam is a bit useless... i have used steam with my whites during wash but it was probably a combo of the machine, steam & persil that the whites came out a little bit "whiter" looking.

• georgect
    11 years ago

Here's an interesting read regarding spin speeds.

This article is from the UK's consumer magazine called Which?
    Which? is the equivalent of America's Consumer Reports.

Here is a link that might be useful: Washing machine spin speed efficiency

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This has been incredibly helpful. I just went to AJMadison's website to price out the difference between the 70 set and the 55 set. The difference was $630 for the set, which to me is pretty sizable unless I'm getting a lot more of something that matters to me. I wish everybody had better things to say about the steam features -- I was pretty excited about "perfect steam" as a concept.

Georgect, thanks so much for the articles about spin speed. That really helps me make up my mind. So after reading that, it seems to me that higher spin speeds are kind of like all of the razor blades that Gillette and others keep adding to their razors...going from one to two to three blades all provided a better shave, but is the fourth and fifth blade really all that much of an improvement?

We're in the process of finishing our basement with resale in mind in 4 or 5 years from now. My laundry is moving to a new area in the basement which is the impetus for new, front load stacking machines. I want good, reliable, attractive machines that will present well to potential owners, but I don't think paying for very top of the line appliances is necessary. At this point, I think I'm planning to get the 55s in white. The blue ones are tempting, but I think classic white is the smarter move for me.

Again, thank you so much for helping me figure all of this out. I'm really hoping to love my laundry. : )

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

Get the 70 series because it has the recirculating spray jet which will saturate the clothes faster and more evenly as the the other Electrolux models without it. Trust me you can really see and feel a difference in how clean they come out. IMO

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

arlosmom: perhaps try a local store and price out the 55 60 and 70 for me the price difference was about ~ $100 between each model.

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

The 60 also has the jet to continuously spray water over the load.

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

Another feature with the 70 (not 100% if 60 and 55 have it) is the add more water option... i use that option a lot.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The local stores that carry Electrolux are Sears and HHGregg. I looked on both companies' web sites for pricing. Sears lists prices for all of the models we're talking about; HHGregg only lists prices for the 55s and 60s. I think the 70s are a special order at HHGregg. For both retailers, the jump from the 55s to the 60s is ~ $100 for each unit or $200 total. Maybe that is worth it for the additional features. The price jump from the 60s to the 70s at Sears is $250 for each unit or $500 total ($700 more than for the 55s). Worth it? To me that sounds doubtful.

I have some timing flexibility, so I can watch for sales. Our local electric company is offering $100 rebate on high efficiency washers. HHGregg had sale pricing last weekend, but I wasn't quite ready to make a final decision.

I think I want to deal with a local retailer so that they can do installation and service. I don't think I'd buy from AJMadison or another internet source, but they are really helpful for comparing pricing and getting specs. That makes sense, right?

• georgect
    11 years ago

arlosmom...

Yes, by all means go with your local dealer and if you can, check out your local mom & pop type appliance dealer.

They can probably off you better service and treat you better than the big chain stores.

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

arlosmom: I agree with georgect about going with a local source. I bought from a very local mom pop place and i got great deal on my appliances. Once you have decided on buying get the manual from elux and read it through to see it has everything you need. For me the reverse tumble in dryer was important and add water in washer so i went with the 70s.

• cj47
    11 years ago

Jsmith, I remember that you posted that chart when I was shopping, too, and it was very helpful. Thanks! The reverse tumble and add more water were significant factors for me, too, and I have not regretted having them.

The recirculating jet does not run continuously throughout the cycle, but it does come on from time to time and I feel that it wets the load evenly and distributes the detergent well. It also runs on the rinse cycles, but not continuously.

Cj

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

I agree with Cj. I had both the 55 series and 70 series. Had the 70 series first and the spray jet does help saturate the clothes evenly and faster. A few months later when the 70 series messed up and I had to get a new one I chose the blue 55 series without the spray jet and let me tell you there is a big difference. The bigger loads took longer to get fully wet. Sometimes I would have to manually add more water. Or restart the cycle and it would fill up where it left off last cycle. Big big pain in the but. The 60 and 70 series has the jets and I say pick one of those. Not the 55 series! Plus Electrolux is coming out with new front load washers very soon. Chris Polk said that's why all the current washers have been discontinued.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I spent some time on the internet yesterday looking for local appliance stores that carry Electrolux and I found one that looks really promising. They have really good pricing on the 60s right now -- the 60s are actually a tiny bit less expensive than the 55s. They also do servicing on all of the brands that they sell, which I consider to be a huge plus. And they have good reviews on Angie's List.

One question regarding fastonetime's post, if Electrolux is coming out with new washers soon, is it a mistake to buy the current models? Or alternatively, will the current models be on sale a a really great price soon? We're just starting our basement construction, so I'm not ready to install anything for at least a couple of months.

• georgect
    11 years ago

The next generation of Electrolux washers/dryers are coming out in 2013 to meet the new federal guidelines on energy efficiency.

The Department of EnergyâÂÂs new standards for clothes washers and dishwashers, under new rules, clothes washers will use up to 35 percent less energy than currently required and dishwashers will use 14 percent less energy and 23 percent less water.

We have no idea how these new guidelines will affect the washers performance. Could be longer wash cycles or they may use more water jets. We just don't know yet how washer manufacturers are going to manage this new standard of water efficiency.

You may want to wait and see what Electrolux comes out with and see their washing performance ranks in a consumer magazine. Then either get one manufactured for 2012's water efficiency or one for 2013.

• fastonetime
    11 years ago

Hi arlosmom. When I spoke with Chris Polk who works directly in Electrolux headquarters, he said the new machines will have an all new control panel, some new colors. I asked if they were going to be Direct drive but he said they were keeping the belt driven motor, pulley system. So it left me wondering if it was just new cycles, colors, new look and yet a bigger price tag for all this. I would go with the 60 because its a nice machine with the spray jet. The new Electrolux machines were supposed to be out by the en of this year, and then it changed until next year. Haven't seen or heard anything. But I've been seeing the current models on Electrolux site disappearing one by one. Might as well catch one while you can, that's probably why he prices are so good right now! Sears where I live has a series 60 dryer, red hot red floor model for 740.

• cj47
    11 years ago

Just to clarify, the stream in the washer is of questionable value for extra cleaning power, but the perfect steam in the dryer works just fine for dewrinkling and freshening up clothing.
    Cj

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, I did it!

I just got off the phone with the owner of the local appliance store I mentioned in my post yesterday. I ordered the 60s set and I'm very excited. I got an extended warranty that is a total of 5 years for everything, plus 10 years on washer motor and dryer heating element. This store prides themselves on customer service and does all of their own installations and servicing. Their reviews on Angie's List were pretty glowing, so I'm hoping it was a good choice for an appliance company. I love to support small businesses.

I'm not taking delivery until our basement project is much further along...probably some time in January.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the information and support that I've gotten from you all. I'll follow up again after I get the machines and let you know how much I love them.

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm getting $125 rebate from Electrolux and $100 rebate from our electric power company!!! With the rebates, it brings my final total, including the extended warranty, delivery, installation including reversing the washer door, stack kit, and dryer cord, tax to just under my $2,500 target price. I'm tickled. I did good.

: )

• georgect
    11 years ago

Great arlosmom!
    I can't wait to hear your experience with the washer and dryer.
    Best of luck.

• cj47
    11 years ago

Yup, you did good alright! I'll be interested to hear how you like them. I don't think we've had anyone post reviews here on the 60 series 'Lux pair, so there will be lots of folks who would be interested in hearing your opinion.
    Enjoy the new set.

Cj

• bonesoda
    11 years ago

@cj47: cheers!
    @arlosmom: wow, the warranty is fantastic on your purchase... let us know what you think. Also give persil a try! I got both versions and i immediately was reminded of my childhood, i think we used to use persil in europe. :)

• Amy Sumner
    11 years ago

I have had the Elux FL washer and dryer for over 3 years now. I like the features and have been pleased with the performance. However I have a persistent error that is problematic. I get "error code E42" and am told to call Elux. It is related to the door switching mechanism and/or the circuit board. The door latching mechanism has been changed out as well as the circuit board. The error codes came back. Called for another service call and when the repairman came, no error. So they were not able to determine problem. I have figured out how to work around it but live with the fear that one day I will be locked out of my washer. When the error code is active the door will not open. I have to push the cancel button, then start button and before the error code comes back up I push the door to get it to open. What a pain. Then the code goes away for a few months. It is back again now--right here at the holidays. Thought for sure I would end up with no washer when I was having do to many loads of sheets with rounds of guests coming. The error code mysteriously went away again.

I am glad I have been able to work around it, but I hate living with the fear that one day soon I will have a significant repair bill. I am thinking my next W/D set will either be Miele or will be one with almost no bells and whistles, simple, simple. Tired of not having confidence in a $3000+ W/D set.

I hope the OP's experience will be problem free!

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I have the Electrolux 60's since November. Love, love them. Big drums, clothes wash perfectly. I'm always amazed by them. But I rarely use the steam functions. When I have used it in the dryer, I find the clothes come out spotted with wet spots which require me to run a short dry.

One other small complaint. I find the controls confusing. There are so many options, it is hard to keep track of what you set the previous wash. Both machines keep the previous settings, which I find troublesome. There are times I run certain options for the load I am washing now. A few days later, I might not need those options. Unless I check, the old settings will operate.

These are minor complaints and take getting used to. Its important to really read the instruction manuals.

But I do love them and they do above and beyond anything I expected.

Jane

• arlosmom
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It will be another month or so until I can take delivery of my 60s (the new laundry area is studded out but lacks drywall, paint, and a tile floor), but they are at the local store, sitting in their warehouse, just waiting for me to be ready. Can't wait!

Jane, I'm happy to hear you love yours. I will definitely read the instruction manuals and I'll probably be overwhelmed by all of the options. I wondered about the machines keeping the previous settings...whether that would be a good thing or annoying. Too bad they don't give you the option of entering "one time only" vs "keep this setting". I doubt I'll end up using half of the options that are available. I'm used to very, very basic machines and I ended up with Electrolux primarily because of the field reversible doors. All the bells and whistles are just gravy for me.

Sum5463, I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with your dryer. Intermittent problems are always the worst because they never happen when the service person is there. Ugg.

jmith, I'll check out Persil. Is that something that's available in stores or will I need to order it online? I'll do a little research.

Thanks everybody. I'll be back to report when I have everything installed.

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

I think you'll like the machines. They are quite complex and I wasn't prepared for that. I like options and was looking for them but they are electronic and some work together and some don't. There are so many cycles, I found it confusing.

I do not like the fact that it keeps the last options. In our household, our adult son does his own wash. My husband occassionally does a wash.

I am the primary 'washer person' and will use certain cycles depending on what I'm washing. I wash everything, rugs, sheets, clothes, towels, etc. My son does his own wash which consists mostly of tee shirts, jeans, dress shirts, pants, underwear. He doesn't look at the options. Neither does my husband. They just use Normal wash.

On these machines, you can change the options for Normal wash. I might choose a hot wash, soak, extra water, steam - whatever. If I don't think to reset to default (I rarely remember to) they wind up washing their clothes with those options. Not good. Have caused problems at times.

I wish the machine would always reset itself to the default settings. It doesn't. That is my biggest complaint. I think whoever thought this was a good thing was wrong.

Once you change a cycle, it stays that way unless you reset it back. Other than that, it is an incredible washing machine.

Jane

• cj47
    11 years ago

Jane, have you considered using the custom mode? Your washer has room for 3 different custom washes for 3 different people--your son and husband could each specify their own custom washes...and so could you. That might be one solution to your problem.

Cj

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Yes Cj, I have tried that. Problem I run into is, son does his laundry on the fly. Gives no thought to washing his clothes except to push 'normal wash.'

Husband sometimes throws in some tees or shorts and pushes 'normal wash.'

The Normal Wash cycle offers the most variables in the options. It is the easier cycle to change around.

I put in some shirts which I pretreated with stain remover, put it in the wash and push Normal Wash, then push the option for Stain Treat and Cold Wash.

I could go to Custom and reset everything, but it takes more time, plus I might not have the same settings chosen. I might have Stain Treat and Warm Wash set in Custom.

I could do it, maybe other people have more patience to set so many different cycles. I like to push the basic cycle and add the options for that particular wash and walk out of the room.

When I come back to put the clothes in the dryer, I forget to reset the Normal Cycle so whoever uses the machine next, winds up with whatever I last used.

Please understand, if I were the only person doing wash, I would notice the different lights lit and change the options. But unfortunately, my son/husband do not. I've tried explaining it to them and showing them the various lit options. I can see their faces go blank as they say, "sure, I got it!"

Jane

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

This has been a really informative thread - thank you! I am considering the purchase of an Electrolux 60 W/D pair. My plumber is here and wants to know if my units will have a steam option, which they will, because he apparently needs to set up our plumbing for steam. Is that correct? Even if we are set up for it, I am not sure I would want to use the steam option based on the reviews I have read. I presume using the steam is just an option you decide to add to a wash or dry load?

• Janice63
    11 years ago

I like a lot of the features on the Electrolux 60 and 70 but I don't want the steam.

I wonder if it would just be stupid to get one of those dryers and not have the hose for the steam hooked up.

I don't want to have to set up plumbing for steam, which I would have to do.

It is the features, like reverse tumble, the specialty cycles and the nine My Favorites programmable cycles that I want.

Opinions?

• whirlpool_trainee
    11 years ago

The steam dryer hooks up to the washer's cold-water hose (via a Y-adapter, I think) for steaming clothes - no extra plumbing necessary.

• Janice63
    11 years ago

I really just don't want to bother hooking it up to the water at all. I saw in the owner's manual about the Y-adapter. You are correct that it is hooked up that way.

Is it silly not to attach the steam hose or is the steam option a gimmick and not worth the trouble?

• cj47
    11 years ago

I haven't seen the usefulness of steam in the washer, but it does work nicely in the dryer to freshen clothing, eliminate wrinkles, and cut down on static. I use it frequently. It is not that big of a deal to set the dryer up for steam, and then you can give it a try. If it works for you, then it's available and if not, you can ignore it as you please.

My $.02

Cj

• Janice63
    11 years ago

Thanks for that information.

If it freshens clothes and helps with wrinkles and static, it sounds like it is worth it to hook up the water hose.

I appreciate your input.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES