Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preventing water damage

Posted by Heathermor (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 8:47

I am in the processes of buying a condo in a converted factory building. The washer and dryer is a stacked front loader unit in a very tight front hall closet. It is nine years old and still works fine. I am concerned that it might leak. I was going to have it pulled out and have the hoses replaced with stainless steel ones, and maybe put a plastic pan under the units. I have heard of automatic water cut off valves that turn off after each completed load. Are they hard to install and would they be a resonable choice since I am on the fourth floor with apartments under me? Any advise or things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preventing water damage

Stainless is the only way to go.

yes, you could install the auto shut off valves w/o much trouble.

For a few dollars, you can buy a VERY LOUD moisture alarm at Home Depot. I have one under each sink, and the hot water heater. Those suckers will just about blow out your eardrums if they sense moisture.

Change the stainless hoses roughly every 5 years. If they break the leaks are far less catastrophic than non-stainless and if you are home, the water sensor will alert you quickly.

o

Just be aware the majority of the stainless hoses are not really stainless but a regular rubber hose with the stainless braiding on the outside. They do make floodcheck hoses which have a valve in them at the faucet side which will stop if it senses a major leak. Although I used them on our toilet and every other flush it wanted to shut it off.

I'd second the pan and alarm.

o

I expected the OP to understand that a "hose" isn't pure stainless steel...sigh

o

Thank you for your quick replies. The washer dryer are housed in a very tight closet with no room to reach behind and turn off valves. I never thought of the moisture alarms. Great idea. I will get them for under the 2 bathrooms sinks and the kitchen also. Do they need electric or do they run on batteries? I will check into the floodcheck hoses.

o

they run off of AAA's or AA's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here