Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junelynnky

Amana W&D nfw7200 nfd7200

junelynn
14 years ago

I just purchased and had installed these Amana front loaders. I have a very small kitchen, and I have no laundry room. Previously, I had a 24 inch wide, single unit stackable, all one unit, used Kenmore. I desperately needed something that wouldn't leak, or catch towels under the darn agitator and freeze up. It had problems and I was lucky enough to work around it for awhile, as one repairman put a washer and a screw on the agitator, allowing me to remove the darn thing. But it still leaked, after I ran a full load, very aggravating.

Many of the new 24' wide units were $1200. I also learned that some of them, the less that $1200 ($999) would only work with one unit working. If the washer was on, the dryer wouldn't work and visa versa. Not acceptable.

My new Amana's are 27 inches wide. A neighbor (in construction) cut down the width of the top cabinet. Thank God for good neighbors and handymen. We have since learned that the bottom cabinet won't fit and he is going to cut that down today. The bottom cabinet is free standing, which helps. It is not in position in the photo, as it won't fit just now.

I really regret not taking a BEFORE photo with the smaller Kenmore, but you get the idea of the tight fit.

Here is a photo of my FIT of the new Amana's in a small space. Setup Fixtures:

Amana Washer & Dryer

It IS possible to put a decent sized W&D in a small space, if your spacing is limited.

I also LEARNED an awfully lot.

Previously, I had a RANGE cord running my Kenmore (it was all on 220, washer and dryer). The delivery guys said I needed a DRYER cord.

There is a difference in amperage, but I was told I could use it, but of course, the delivery folks won't install it. I read up on it, and discovered the range cord is 50 amp and the dryer cord is 30 amp. Not sure, but it's feasible to cause some problems even though it's on a 30 amp breaker.

I still don't know for sure if they are interchangable, as many have told me they are, but I feel much safer and in compliance.

I also had the plastic venting. That had to be upgraded to the metal,and it came with the W&D.

I had to delay my delivery to get all this done. I bought a range outlet at $5. Better to be safe and in warranty specs.

When my handyman changed the electric box from Range to Dryer, he discovered it was 12 gauge wire, not 10 gauge. He changed that out for me. When we looked at the old cable later, he felt that part of the cable had gotten "hot" and showed some minor wear where it almost looked transparent.

I do not play with electricity, tires or brakes and probably a few other things, so I feel fortunate that I had this done properly.

The best part of the deal, being on a budget, is that I got these units for $399 apiece at Home Depot. They were on Black Friday special and were not advertised. They are regularly $599 at H.Depot and other appliance companies. $649 apeice on the internet. I just happened to be in the store bying an extension cable for my leaf blower and went over to look at the W&Ds and dream. Before I purchased it, I came home and did some research on the units.

Even the delivery guys were amazed that I got front loaders at that price. No charge for delivery, install or take-away of the old unit. With my H.Depot card, I have 12 months no-interest. I had been checking Sears and they have you either pay for delivery and setup if you opt for 12 mo. no interest on their card. Either way, they get their money.

I paid a total of $1022 after taxes and charges. I also got the stainless braided water hoses that are an extra charge, but well worth it.

Water hoses: $20

2 yr.Svc Plan on washer: $70

Dryer Cord: $15

Duct: $20

Taxes: $73

It's truely a step up for me, compared to the old. It has many features that I did not have. My Kenmore was VERY basic. The new units even sings with those chimes. Scared the heck out of my cat at first.

I am amazed I don't hear the motor running and switching gears. They are very quiet and very efficient. I did get HE detergent (read up on that also). The size of the drums is very good - quite expansive to me, compared to what I had. I and thrilled and hope they last a long, long, long, long time!

I have one question. I understood from the saleman, that these are Amana units, based on the Maytag Neptune line. Are the owned by Samsung or Whirlpool? All the name changes through the years is confusing.

I hope this is informative for you who are looking to put a W&D in a small space.

June Lynn

Comments (7)

• junelynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"I bought a range outlet at $5" s/be "I bought a DRYER OUTLET socket" so the dryer cord would match the fittings (2 prongs and a L shaped ground vs. all 3 prongs being round on the range cord).

• caryscott
    14 years ago

Very informative post, I liked all the practical information - folks often overlook those mechanical aspects that can have a huge impact on how appliances perform and age. I believe this pair is a Consumer Reports "Best Buy" choice. Enjoy!

• junelynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oops, forgot to mention that!!

• dadoes
    14 years ago

There's no concern using a 50 amp range cord and outlet on a 30 amp dryer ... as long as the breaker on the circuit is NOT 50 amp. The breaker must be no larger than the required 30 amps. A cord rated for 50 amps simply means that it's made of heavy enough wire to safely carry 50 amps, but it certainly can carry less. A range is unlikely to use 50 amps unless all burners and the oven are on at the same time.

• junelynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well then WHY do they make such a big deal of it? The delivery guys would not install it. When I called the delivery service, they said the same thing. H.Depot was surprised I could not use it.

BUT, I'm 'in complaince" in case I ever need service on that dryer and the "ask" about that, which they won't when they see the connection. It's for a 30 amp cord, as the electrical instruction DO specify a 30 amp cord.

The electrical instructions: "When permitted by local codes, the dryer electrical supply may be connected by means of a new power cord kit, maked for use with the clothes dryer, that is U.L. listed, rated at 120/240 volts minimum, 30 amperes with three No. 10 copper wires conductors terminated with closed loop terminals, open-end spade lugs with turned up ends or with tinned leads.
    1. size of the conductors and they type of cord.
    2. 3/4 in. UL-listed strain relief".

They also said "Do not reuse a power supply cord from an old dryer". I guess that's recommended in case there would be any chance of cord failure. However, I know it's very rare. I work as a PC tech, I've never seen a power cord failure in all my 30 years of working with computer equipment, unless somehow it was physically damaged.

Since this was a NEW W&D for me, in more that 30 years as well, I guess having "new" all around is one I feel most comfortable with.

What's funny is I now have TWO 50 amp cords. I have a spare from an electric stove, now I have nat'l gas. Ha ha, I'm left "holding the cords!" Ya just gotta laugh, gotta laugh!

June Lynn

• cynic
    14 years ago

Whirlpool now owns Amana. It came with the Maytag buyout. Samsung builds this unit for Whirlpool and they brand it with the Amana name. I question the Neptune base claim the salesman used. Samsung did build a Neptune for Maytag, but I doubt that this is based on that design. I'd suspect he's trying to use the Maytag name as a selling point since so many people remember the old Dependable Care lines back when Maytag was a top unit. Whatever the case, what I've seen and heard of these has me interested. I might even consider it when I need a washer if I can convince myself that a front loader would work for me.

Think of the amperage and the cord like a shelf. Say you want to put an appliance on a shelf and it says that the shelf must be able to hold 30 pounds. You buy a shelf that is able to hold 50 pounds. It's a higher capacity so no problem. Same thing with the current issues. Since you work on computers, think of it this way: One computer requires a minimum of a 300 watt power supply. You need to replace the power supply. You replace it with a 500 watt unit. No problem.

And you got a BARGAIN on them! The washer especially. I've seen the washer for $449 before but $399 is the best I've seen. And HD does give free delivery/haul out and don't play games with rebates or something on it.

I think they look great in the corner! I'd like to move to a one level home and of course have a first floor laundry. Can't handle steps like I used to So I'm always looking for ways to adapt places. I really enjoyed your post. Thanks. Keep us posted on your new machines and how they work out for you. Remember to be very careful on measuring detergent! Don't overdose it or you'll have troubles. You sound like a careful person and probably read the manual several times so you should be all set. There's a learning curve going from a TL to a FL. Enjoy the new experience and congratulations on your new partners.

• junelynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks CYNIC for the feedback. I thing the analogy of a weight of a shelf is very good, and very understandable.

I lived in an apt. years ago with a 2nd floor. First and last time. I was in my 30's and fell once and that was it!
    I finally found an older photo showing what I USED to have. My old stackable KENMORE W&D. When you see the difference, the new units are HUGE to me. That base cabinet next to the W&D is being cut down and LEVELED for me. And will be attached. Yay!

I am VERY careful with the detergent. I'm a bargain shopper (have to be) so I was getting powdered Sun detergent at Walmart in a large container. I gave it to my neighbors. The prices of HE detergent wowed me. But I found some on sale and then found some more at BIG LOTS. It has a lot more perfume which I don't really care for, but I'm getting used to it. It could be I'm just not used to the smell yet. And no, it's not Gain. I think that is very perfumed.
    Right now I'm using HE TIDE, and I found some HE ALL. I never see suds and only go by what is recommended. Less is more so to speak. I'm still getting used to doing larger loads, now that I can.

The units perform very well. I love the SENSOR DRY feature. Clothes get dry without much wrinkling and don't get twisted up among each other, since there is much more room. The electronics of it amazes me, since I'm converting from a background of mechanical and physical switches. Old tech washer to new tech washer just like from a keypunch machine to a laptop! (And oh yes, I worked on those keypunch units many eons ago. Selectric typewriters also, luckily rarely).

And it amazes me that the washer turns in different directions so the items stay free. The spin options are another perk of the washer. I also AIR out the washer, leave the door open for awhile, so moisture will dissipate.

You are right. They are my new 'partners'. My new partners in CLEAN and leak-free.

June Lynn