Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

Need to buy a washer today....loved my F&P but it's RIP

jjam
9 years ago

Our 8 year old Fisher and Paykel washer died over the Holiday weekend. We had a houseful and now a mountain of sheets, towels, etc. that need to be washed.

I bought the F&P based on info from this forum, and really loved the machine. But now we learn that there is virtually no service for it in our area. DH is an engineer so he did some online research, diagnostics, and determined that there is a problem with the motor. We're just not inclined to spend a lot to replace it since we now know that service is so scarce. When we purchased it, that was not the case.

I love front loaders, grew up with one, and we had one of the original White Westinghouse models in the 70s. Problem is, the space for my W/D is barely 29" deep. Most do not fit, which led me to the F&P eight years ago.

I like the concept of an HE machine, particularly the water savings, so was about to buy an LG top loader yesterday, until I reached in, and saw that I'd be on my tiptoes grabbing clothes stuck at the bottom. I'm 5'6" and while it was still possible, I could see it would be annoying. We are empty nesters, so tend to do several small loads, sometimes only a few items, and the size of the drum seemed excessive for us. The cycle times worry me about these machines, too.

So, I'm leaning toward the Speed Queen top loader, although the front loader would fit according to the printed dimensions (28").

Anything else I should look at today? Am I missing something??

Comments (9)

• poppy214
    9 years ago

Do you have Electrolux service in your area and I don't mean A&E Factory Service? They are a contractor for a lot of warranty service . Useless know nothings masquerading as repairman. Yes I got stuck with them. I would avoid GE and Whirlpool . GE, recently sold to Electrolux has rotten customer service and A&E. Whirlpool/Matag has filter access issues I didn't like. Electrolux has a new compact model that might meet your needs. Speed Queen front loader is small and expensive but excellent quality and usually local service. It was too small for me.

Most of the he toploaders will have the depth problem you mentioned. I bought an LG front loader last summer. It does a fine job on the mountain of sheets.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Poppy, I've been trying to find the compact Electrolux mentioned here but no luck. All on their website are 31 1/2" deep. If I could find it I'd definitely be interested in it.

• poppy214
    9 years ago

PS Avoid Samsung at all costs--absolutely awful

If you have service, how about an internet source like ajmadison for the Electrolux. I assume you checked your local builders sources. They sometimes have or can get stuff the Lowes/HD/Sears can't/won't get. My local guy has miele, Asko, speed queen, and Blom-something (Euro small) so I didn't pay much attention but it fit under a counter. Lots of European laundries in the kitchen. I've used on vacation, but it takes more loads. Usually does fine job.

Good luck
    I would have gone with Electrolux but no service here

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Frigidaire has one(FL) that is 29 3/4" D 27"W and 36 H
    but the 3/4 might keep you from using it. Go to Frigidaire.com
    Elux may be the same since it is the same family.?

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I decided to go with the Speed Queen 432. Even if it might BARELY fit, the small Frigidaire front loader wouldn't have allowed us to close the bifold doors, and that just seemed silly.

It is supposed to show up tomorrow.....will post my impressions after using it. Since I had company I've got quite a supply of sheets and towels so it will get a good workout!

• sparky823
    9 years ago

Remember you can adjust your water level to add more by watching video on you tube OR your dealer might do it for you. Otherwise Full will give you less than a full tub of water. Most people adjust them and then don't have to worry about it anymore.
    Good choice with a great warranty.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So far, so good with my new speed queen. The delivery guy didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned adjusting the water level. So far I'm not seeing a problem even with a full load of towels but I'll monitor it and make the adjustment if I need to.

I love it! Solid, quiet, and the water is definitely HOT unlike the Hot water setting in my old F&P. Really impressed with how stable it is during the spin cycle, even when loaded with large towels. Very happy with this purchase.

The only problem so far is that I kind of wish my dryer had died, too. I'd love to have a matched set but at $700 it seemed a bit crazy to replace a dryer that is still working.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

There's no reason to replace a working dryer. Dryers don't care what kind of machine has washed the clothes.

Your F&P probably was a model GWL11. There is (was) a way to get a full-fill hot wash on it by following a procedure outlined in the instruction manual.

Just to say, SQ washers have been known for wearing down drive belts fairly quickly.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

Congrats on your Speed Queen. Bought the same model last year and at 19 months still going strong. Hopefully they will hold up many years.