Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyslopes_z5ut

What do you store in your pedestals?

We just got a new LG front load washer and dryer with the pedestals. My Costco sized detergents do not fit into them. Even the regular size stain remover bottle is too tall as is the fabric softener. Out of seven washroom items I hoped to get off the counter, four don't fit.

DH suggested pouring things into smaller containers that will fit, but that seems like making more work than necessary.

I want to make use of this extra storage space and am wondering if anyone else has some good ideas about what to use them for.

Comments (17)

• Don
    9 years ago

I too am disappointed in my LG pedestals for the reason you stated. As with most drawers, mine are slowly accumulating misc. stuff. My laundry products sit on top of the machines. I don't even buy the largest sizes, yet as you found, many liquid items are too tall to fit.
    While I think the LG appliances look great, functionality is almost always less than expected. Even drawers.

• enduring
    9 years ago

To be honest I wouldn't want to be lugging those large liquid detergents up and down from a drawer near the floor, under the washer. In our basement laundry area these large jugs fit nicely on a shelf above my old top load machine, and can be measured out with the pour spout, without having to move the jug.

Other than laundry supplies I wouldn't know what to store in the pedestals. I don't have a pedestal for my front loading set on the main floor.

Could you store extra towels or cleaning rags? I always need an area for those things. Maybe store papertowels and/or TP in those drawers. I always buy those big bundles at Costco.

• allyped
    9 years ago

I have a large family and buy my toilet paper at SAMs and Costco. The drawers under my Samsung front loaders each hold 21 rolls of tp! Works for me!

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the ideas! That is a good point about not wanting to lift a big detergent to do laundry, even if it did fit. I'm using microfiber towels to clean the water out of the seal when it's finished, so I can store some of those down there.

I never thought of paper products, but that is a good idea. We also get big supplies, so it could be a place to get the tp or all those boxes of tissues out of the way.

Hmm, I'm still thinking about what makes sense to keep in the laundry room, so maybe extra rags, towels, and so on would be logical.

• Rault85
    9 years ago

I have a freaky large detergent stash so I put as much as I can in my pedestals. I dont have the issue of bottles not fitting though. The pedestal under my dryer has 4 boxes of cheer powder on each side. The one under my washer is full of pods, persil megaperls, and mexican powders.

• cj47
    9 years ago

I have an Electrolux pair with pedestals, and while I can't put huge bottles under there, the medium sized ones do fit. Under the washer, I keep a short/wide box of the Tide Vivid powder for whites and towels, a short/wide box of borax, a small bottle of detergent for woolens, a few different bottles of stain removers, 2 bottles of different kinds of Tide that I'm trying out, a very small bottle of fabric softener for those occasions when I need bubble control, and a pair of scissors for tags/strings. And probably a few bits and bobs I don't remember. Under the dryer are my microfiber cloths for wiping out the seal on the washer and all of my old towels and rags, along with the microfiber mop heads for my steam mop. It's a huge space and I love having it, definitely worth the extra it cost us to buy them.
    Cj

• mightyquinnaty
    9 years ago

We have Samsung washer and dryers and use the pedestals to store extra TP, Tissues, napkins and ziplock bags for the kids lunches.

• hjbarker
    6 years ago

Assorted garbage bags, air freshener products, swiffer products

• Cat Simo
    6 years ago

Detergent, borax, oxyclean, etc under washer. (I don't buy the huge bottles of liquids.)

Old t-shirts/rags, mop stuff, some vac attachments under dryer.

• Cat Simo
    6 years ago

Just noticed how old this thread is LOL.

• Patty Sanderson
    5 years ago

I use m for extra sheet sets and other linens like holiday table cloths.

• Jody
    5 years ago

When I had my front loaders I would store swiffer floor cleaning wet pads and my yankee candles under there.

• carladr
    5 years ago

I store paper towel and toilet paper rolls.

• Brittany Buxton
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I keep my sewing supplies and mismatch socks in one. Dryer sheets and a little trash can for lent in the other. I’d like to stack them to use as craft storage if that’s even possible. I feel like it’s wasted space as well

• sray9714
    last year

I wondered if anyone else had this issue i can store full size clorox bottles and detergent pod containers….but sometimes bottles are too tall and it is annoying For example Downy . i even purchased the smaller bottle, still too tall I do store all types of other cleaners, endust, wax, polish, clorox wipes, air fresheners, swiffer refills, spare parts to the vacuum cleaner. I still find the drawers very useful i have started using detergent sheets instead of buying those big plastic containers i am 65, i can reach taller cabinets like the one over my front loader, but i do not mind reaching for things in a drawer instead of under a cabinet. I don’t think i will ever buy another front loader the door has to be left open, takes up a lot of space i am constantly cleaning inside the rim. Needed repairs after 5 years.

• Pat Z5or6 SEMich
    last year

Crown Royal.