Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lola3816

SA8 detergent rated #1 in consumer reports!

lola3816
17 years ago

SA8 was rated as the #1 HE detergent in Consumer Reports. Is it really anygood? Where is it sold?

Comments (32)

• msgenie516
    17 years ago

Hi, SA8 is an Amway product and you can buy it on line at Quixtar. I have added the link below. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Quixtar.com

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

Ughhh. once again another flawed report from CR. Sears Ultra Stain Fighting Formula is listed as a conventional detergent. It is not! It's an HE product and Sears hasn't sold a conventional detergent for many years. Secondly, they have tested a select number of odd products in the HE category. Had they tested the entire lot of HE detergents, the results would have been quite different, but then again this is CR. Never used SA8 product, but the cost per load seems relatively high! $35 for 10 lbs.

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago

I read somewhere that the Sears line of detergents are pretty much Tide repackaged for Sears. Does anyone know if that's true? Proctor and Gamble makes Tide. Is there a mark anywhere on the Sear's products indicating that Proctor and Gamble makes it?

• sparky823
    17 years ago

I just wanted to say I am currently using the SA8 powder.A friend told me about it and I am very pleased with the cleaning and the rinsing.You should try it-you won't be disappointed.About the sears formulas,they do have one for the conventional washers. It is item #9835 180 loads in an orange box.All the Sears for the he machines come in the buckets or liquid. The "Stain Fighting Formula" comes in the conventional and an he version. The one in the CU test was the conventional formula in the box. Check these out online or in the store.

• steve_o
    17 years ago

Proctor and Gamble makes Tide. Is there a mark anywhere on the Sear's products indicating that Proctor and Gamble makes it?
    Sears' detergent is made to their specifications by a company named Huish, not by P&G.

• dross
    17 years ago

FWIW, Huish also mankes Kirkland, Safeway, Sun, and Clout detergents, and many others. However, the formulations do seem to be different, with the Sears HE being a favorite of many people here. - DR

• rpsinfoman
    17 years ago

Apparently I was in error. Sears still does sell the conventional Ultra formula, although not carried in our market segment. It is too completely different formulas as I recall with the HE version using enzymes and changing the core structure. IMHO the original formula cleaned better than the HE version. Don't really know who makes it, but it's a very good product.

• myclementine
    17 years ago

Gain was #2, is that right? Is it a good HE detergent?
    I need a new detergent so checking them all out.

• kenmorewasher
    17 years ago

Quixtar/Amway SA8 with BioQuest HE powder
    Tide HE powder
    Sears Ultra Plus with Oxiclean HE powder
    I have used all three and they clean equally well.
    The Sears is the cheapest.

• oneplustwins
    17 years ago

So, is the concensus that powders clean better than liquid detergents? Ever since I bought my front loader I prefer to use liquids. I do a lot of laundry in cold water and I'm afraid of the powder detergent not dissolving completely. What were the top rated liquids?

• dross
    17 years ago

Most HE powders will dissolve in cold water, though it helps if the machine has a controlled cold temp insted of tap-cold. The conventional wisdom is that liquid detergents are better on greasy dirt and powders better on everything else, but it really depends on the detergent. Since finding powders we like we hardly ever use liquids anymore, and I think many others on this forum have made the same choice. - DR

• joereich
    17 years ago

Did they happen to rate Method? I've got a large supply of that from my washer purchase. It seems ok, but the wife said she still prefers Tide. Not sure out of habbit or actual cleaning results. I've not noticed any issues with Method.

• sudsmaster
    17 years ago

I use Method HE for my bath towels, as it seems to leave them soft and doesn't suds as much as other brands.

My mainstay detergent is Sears Ultra Plus HE. I cut it 1/3 with STPP, which helps handle heavy soiling.

By mistake last summer I bought a box of Sears Ultra Plus regular powder. For grins, I gave it a shaken jar sudsing test and compared it to the Sears HE powder I already have. I couldn't see any difference in sudsing, so my conclusion was that these two products are essentially the same thing.

The Costco product scored high in the CR ratings, but my own experience indicates it's unacceptably too high sudsing to be even just "HE Compatible". Additionally, the dosing instructions on the packaging is screwy - it recommends you add MORE of the detergent to an HE washer than to a conventional top loader. Someone at Costco/Huish got their information backwards on that one. But even at reduced levels, the Costco/Kirkland "HE Compatible" products still give up too much suds.

• conanian
    17 years ago

Of course I don't know if the SA8 formulation has changed since about 2002, but then European Ariel and Top (From Japanese Lion) topped SA8 by far in a report back then.

• srlarsen
    17 years ago

I have been using SA8 for years. It is wonderful. As far as the cost, you use a lot less than regular detergents. I think their scoop is 1/4 cup. A box of SA8 will last my family of 4 for months; a bottle of liquid Tide usually lasts me a few weeks. I used SA8 when I used cloth diapers and they always came out clean.

• dmlove
    17 years ago

Where do you get SA8?

• sada
    17 years ago

I really the the ENORMOUS tub o' Ultra Plus HE powder from Sears! I use 1Tablespoon (1/4 of the measuring cup in the tub) & it cleans like nobody's business in the nearly new Bosch Nexxt 500. I have a pretty big box o' HE powder from Kirkland I use in the 5 yo Frigidaire FL at the beach & find it does an outstanding job on some really grungy clamming/oystering togs (tough cleaning). I do use Spray n' Wash for individual stains but that's it! Will be digging into the ENORMOUS tub for over 1000 loads at the current rate - great cleaning & I love the price (

• onlygirlsmom
    17 years ago

I have also used SA8 in the past and it is very good. I had also heard that it is excellent for people with septic systems as it doesn't clog it up. I do not have an HE machine but my sister does and used to use the SA8 but felt that it was to sudsy for her new HE machine - I don't know what brand of HE machine she has or if the SA8 HE formula has changed since she last tried it.
    SA8 also has a powdered bleach which is tremendous! I use it all the time, even on my colors some times and it doesn't wash out all of the color.
    You used to have to go through a distributor to get the SA8 detergent, but I don't know if that's still the case. My mom became a distributor years ago and stills keep her "distributorship" current for her SA8 devotees. I think she might get a better price as a distributor? but I think she's always given her customers the same price.
    ALso, I have recently been using the laundry detergent from Sam's Club and have had no problem with it. I do not currently have an HE machine, so I don't know how it work in one of those.

• Annaoh1_gmail_com
    16 years ago

In case there are others who are looking for a good detergent, since i know this is a post from long time ago, I am a longtime SA8 user and it faaaar out beats any other detergent I have used, and i have used a lot. I have used it on my newborn's clothes, and my newborn had very sensitive skin.
    I have a washer that requires HE detergents (BOSCH), and I have used both TIDE HE and SA8. I washed my clothes in TIDE HE and had to rinse TWICE, and STILL had suds residue in the door. SA8 NEVER does that. And it cleans SUPERB. I almost feel like a salesperson saying this, but it's true, just try it. And quixtar members pay $28.10 for 150 loads. That's not expensive.

• germantown
    16 years ago

I have not been able to find evidence that the Ultra Plus Detergent at Sears is made by Huish. There are none of the visible imprints of the Huish H on any of the packages I have.

Also, I have seen the detergents described as "Desoto" Laundry Detergent on sears.com

SA8 is a great detergent - as long as you buy the powdered variety. The liquid is not-so-great.

• reneea
    16 years ago

I have a kenmore elite canyon capacity, and the water doesn't even cover the clothes. the clothes don't come clean and they smell after wearing just a short time. I use the Sears ultra HE detergent. I don't see suds and i use as directed. Does anyone know of a product for this maschine that is in powder form? thanks so much

• sparky823
    16 years ago

Try the SA8 powder. It is a Great product and you also use very little of it.

• reneea
    16 years ago

Thank you, sounds like alot of people like it. I'm trying to find something in a local store and not online right now. I tried to use hot water instead of warm, and use a full scoop, (tech said I only need half) but husband's t-shirt still smells the same. I just don't think there's enough water to get dirt out or stain. Still working on it and I'll keep the SA8 powder in mind. Thank you so much.

• sparky823
    16 years ago

From what I understand about your washer the cycle for sheets and towels use the most water. Have you tried that before to see if it cleans better and with a deeper fill?

• reneea
    16 years ago

Thank you. I did do a load on the sheets and towel cycle and the clothes did smell a little better. ;) I'll probably continue that. Thank you so much!!!!!

• wayeve
    16 years ago

I use
    Fuller 86 Powder Laundry Detergent. and it does a super job ! it only takes 1/8 of a cup.
    I do not like amway products, and I really dislike Tide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuller Brush

• Sharon4457
    16 years ago

We have used SA8 religously for 27 years and would never consider using anything else.

• niasia
    16 years ago

i love SA8. all the rest are trying to be something there not. my detergent is concentrated last longer. you save alot more money in the long run. i now sell SA8

• cynic
    16 years ago

Do any of the Sears detergents have enzymes?

• iasheff
    16 years ago

We use the Sears Ultra Plus Stain Fighting Formula and it has enzymes. BTW, we love it--it cleans well and leaves our clothing and towels soft!

• cncconnection
    16 years ago

I love SA8, it is a wonderful product especially if you have sensitive skin like i do. It dissolves just as fast in cold water as in hot water. Also one 3kg box of SA8 with bioquest is so concentrated that it would take 4.3 boxes of tide quick dissolving powder to do the same number of loads. Just think of only having to buy detergent 2 maybe 3 times a year. It is not expensive. If you are ever willing to try it just visit my website. https://cncconnection.mychoices.biz. Sign up as a client (it is totally free and safe!) and order away. The best part is that it is delivered straight to you home so you won't ever have to make another trip to the grocery store again for it! If there is any questions feel free to contact me my email is CC.CONNECTION@HOTMAIL.COM
    Happy Shopping!!!
    Carlie and Clayton Stromberg
    St Albert, Alberta, Canada