Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berlingirl_gw

Restricted to doing laundry during the day...what to do??

BerlinGirl
11 years ago

Bought a new Kenmore Elite FL washer and dryer...top of the line...front loader steam this and that. Well, have had it for two days...does a great job, but noisy and that is an understatement. I turn it on and it causes my pipes in my house to make horribly loud noises. I have no idea why. That lasts for a few minutes until it fills up. Of course, the spin cycle sounds like a plane taking off. DH says now no laundry can be done at night...I am a night owl and do laundry on a regular basis at night, I work during the day. Anybody have any idea what is going on. I am tempted to return them. Can I even return them? I don't even know. I need a 24/7 washer/dryer, not a daytime only pair. Help, have been in the process of a kitchen, bath, laundry room renovation project and this is gonna put me over the edge.

Comments (9)

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

The noisy pipes sound like something called 'water hammer' (which can be remedied) but beats me as to why it didn't happen with your previous washing machine in the same house.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

These new frontloaders cycle the water on/off several times during the fill process. If the household water system is subject to water hammer, then it'll happen each time the water valves cycle.

The OP's previous washer may have been an old-style toploader that didn't cycle the valves repeatedly during fill. Some machines also have what's called "soft close" valves, which help avoid water hammer.

Water hammer arresters can be installed to ease the problem. Check with a plumber, or research online if you or hubby can DIY plumbing projects.

• fahrenheit_451
    11 years ago

Help, have been in the process of a kitchen, bath, laundry room renovation project...

Great time to have your plumber upgrade your plumbing, if this is not already being done as part of your renovation. In addition to the water arrestors, as mentioned above, you should also check to see if you have a water pressure regulator. If not, install one; if you do, determine whether it needs replacing.

• Cavimum
    11 years ago

I'll second the suggestion of having a water pressure regulator installed. Have your incoming water pressure checked. If it is high, the regulator can help prevent leaks and such down the road. It made a difference in our house.

• jakvis
    11 years ago

Try slowing your waterfill a bit by closing your water taps about 3/4 of the way shut. In many cases this will reduce water hammer in the house pipes.
    Years ago a laundry manufacturer had us putting in flow washers in valves to cure the same problem. The flow washers just reduce the waterflow enough to stop a hard shut off. You can do the same with your water taps.

• BerlinGirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all for the suggestions. I talked to my remodel guy and he said he "knew" about water hammer, but had NO suggestions. Is there anybody who specializes? Jakvis...I tried closing my water taps...didn't help.

• dadoes
    11 years ago

Hire a licensed plumber to take care of the problem. Hammer arrestors can be installed, and a plumber will know how to do that.

OR ... you can try DIYing the fix with a couple of these retrofit units which can be found at Home Depot, Lowe's, and other such sources. Connect one each to the hot and cold faucets, then connect the washer inlet hoses to the arrestors.

• ofionnachta
    11 years ago

"DH says now no laundry can be done at night...I am a night owl and do laundry on a regular basis at night, I work during the day."

My gawd, girl, tell DH if he wants clean clothes and for you to have your job, you are washing them at night. Then buy him a pair of earplugs.

• bandycats
    11 years ago

dadoes has the trick.. those are about $11 @ Menards, about $14 @ Home Depot.. they are made by a few different companies.. AND they put your hoses @ a 90 degree angle to your washer valve if you have straight connects.. (SWEET) and they will stop the noise the INSTANT you install them.. if you can unscrew and screw one end of the hose you're set for life !!!