Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachael_nc

Need a set of economical washer and dryer

rachael_nc
16 years ago

Hi,

I need to buy a set of economical and dependable washer and dryer, nothing fancy needed, pricing in around 300 each.

I saw some good reviews on washers:

GE WDSR2080WH

Whirlpool WGD5300SWH which is slightly more than what i want to spend.

Roper RTW4300SQ

for dryers, i found Maytag to be favored by most ppl. any suggestions?

any comment is appreciated.

Comments (7)

• john_31_fl
    16 years ago

Hi, if you are looking for something dependable I would go with the Roper. Lowes sells the washer for $278 and $258 for the dryer.

Good Luck!

• mike_73
    16 years ago

If you are looking for a top load washer then Roper which is whirlpool, lower models of whirlpool or Kenmore's that are made by Whirlpool. In front load not much can beat the Frigidaire's. I have one 2 1/2 years going on 3 now. no troubles at all.

I would stay away from GE I had one Before they were rough on clothes and it only lasted about 6 years.

• rachael_nc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Mike and John.
    I have a 500 gift card for Home Depot, but i don't think they have roper, bummer. I guess i will spend that on something else then.

Though i also thought about buying pre-owned ones form craigslist.
    Kenmore 3 yr old 80 series washer/dryer for 350 maybe a good buy.

But there's always a chance that it will stop working...hmm.. decision, decision...

• rachael_nc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, i just saw Sears having 20% kenmore sale.
    What do you think about this set:
    White Kenmore 5.9 cu. ft. Extra-Large Capacity Electric Dryer
    model# 68322

White Kenmore 3.2 cu. ft. Super Capacity Plus Washer
    model# 28322

Anyone had bad experience with low-end Kenmore washer dryers?

thanks

• sparky823
    16 years ago

If you want to use your gift card at Home Depot go there and look at the Admiral washers/dryers. They have a washer I know for $299. They are the same as the others you are talking about. They used to be made by Maytag but now Whirlpool owns Maytag and makes all their stuff including the Admiral so you might find one there you like and still use you card. The Whirlpool,Kenmore,Maytag,Roper,Inglis(at Best Buy)Admiral are all Whirlpool made machines so you will be getting eccentially the same with either one you go with(mechanically that is).

• john_31_fl
    16 years ago

Hi Rachael nc, sparky is right! Those Admiral washer & dryers are made by Whirlpool now. I'd say they are equalivent to the Ropers or that Kenmore set you mentioned. Only difference is the Admiral washer has a plastic wash tub instead of porcelain on the others.

The basic Kenmore set are good too. They are built the same since its Whirlpool made. With 20% off sounds like a great deal!

Good Luck!!

• kokomo61
    16 years ago

Call your local Sears up and ask if they're doing a Friends and Family Promotion this coming week (my local Sears store is in Herndon, VA). It's from 6-9PM on Sunday the 11th, and gives an extra 10% off of the 20% off on Kenmore appliances, plus 10% off on all installation and services.

That would bring the cost to 28% off of listed Kenmore prices. They are also discounting all other sale prices 10%, too....so if a competing Whirlpool or Frigidaire (the models are very similar), it may be cheaper to do one or the other.

Sears also has a price-match policy, so see if any of your local stores are doing free delivery and haul-away. I don't know if Sears will match that, but it's worth the effort. Local delivery is $65 + $10 for haul away, so at worst case, it's 10% off of that.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!