Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to tighten Speed Queen (Amana) pump belt?

Posted by actionclaw (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 23:48

Might anyone be able to direct me to a service/repair manual for a Speed Queen (Amana) DA3211?

If not specifically for that model, then perhaps another similar era (guessing 1970's?) Maytag, Speed Queen, Amana top loading washing machine.

Specifically what I'm trying to find is the procedure to tighten (or replace) the pump belt.

Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to tighten Speed Queen (Amana) pump belt?

Is the pump in the front left corner of the cabinet? A belt from the motor to the pump and another from the pump to the transmission? (working from memory here so bear with me)

MRB

o

A service manual that may assist you can be found here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen Service Manuals Online

o
..that is, "How to replace Speed Queen (Amana) pump belt?"

Is the pump in the front left corner of the cabinet? A belt from the motor to the pump and another from the pump to the transmission? (working from memory here so bear with me)

Absolutely! Your memory is serving you well, Mr. B! It's just as you described.

For any interested or those with similar problems in the future...

There are two bolts through slotted holes on the water pump mount that allow adjustment of the water pump belt tension. Earlier, I only saw and tried the front one. Using both I was able to tighten up the slack in the belt. Got it all back together and it seemed to work perfectly. I ran several test and real loads starting small getting larger, without then with soap, etc. All were fine til eventually (6-7th load) things again, didn't seem quite right: sluggish agitation, failure to speed up on spin, etc.; the same symptoms it exhibited in the past. Opened the machine to find it had popped the belt I'd just tightened. (For all I know, it may be the original 30+ years old! Certainly no newer than 12 years old.)

(My theory is that the belt has been loose and slipping for some time preventing the tub to completely empty. The more this happened -especially when doing multiple loads-the heavier it got causing it to slip more & empty less causing the occasional failure to agitate (posted earlier) and recent failure to drain & overflow.)

I'm thinking (& hoping) that all will be well with a new properly tensioned belt. I'd now like to revise this to "How to replace Speed Queen (Amana) pump belt?". I have been looking into this, haven't found anything specific to this particular model but have read of some that need the springs removed first (doesn't seem this would help in this case) or to disconnect and remove the entire motor, etc. which, to me, all seems a bit much just to change a belt. I'll do what it takes I just want to know what's correct before I start unnecessarily ripping everything apart.

A service manual that may assist you can be found here.
Mr. B, Thank you. I'll look into this but most noted here are 1960's. Do you believe this model to be that old?
I'll try to post a photo soon but, in the meantime, any thoughts on the procedure to install the new belt?

Thanks again

o

Not that old, but the components ar very similar. Perhaps post a couple of pix to better help with identification of machine and its age.

MRB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here