Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cavimum

NikWax (water proofing treatment) in FL washer?

Cavimum
10 years ago

I haven't had to treat any of our waterproof outerwear since getting a FL washer a couple years ago. We use NikWax brand waterproof treatment.

Question #1.) Which cycle should I use? (Miele W4842)

Question #2.) I will run a Clean Machine cycle afterwards, to clear out any of the NikWax, but wonder if I should run another cycle first, with detergent, to really scrub it all out. One doesn't want residue leaving the towels waterproofed.

Experience? Suggestions? TIA

This post was edited by Cavimum on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 21:58

Comments (7)

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

You may want to refer to a instruction manual for a Miele washer that includes a Proofing cycle. The Supertronic has practically all the regular cycles Miele offers. The Proofing cycle is described on page 46, 48 and 52. Basically, is seems like a gentle rinse cycle with medium water level and a 1000 rpm spin.

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.miele.co.uk/Resources/OperatingInstructions/W%205000%20Supertronic.pdf

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alex - Thank you for your reply and the link.

Unfortunately, my W4842 does not offer a Proofing cycle. We don't even have a separate Starch cycle, like the UK/Euro-sold machine you linked. I found some similar cycle patterns where I can cancel a second rinse, etc. to manually control things.

Nonetheless, your link has been very helpful. Really! First, it warns against proofing agents with paraffin (makes sense to me) so I will check with the NikWax company to make sure the particular product I plan to use is appropriate. If not, I shall apply the agent in a separate tub or bin. I don't want to ruin my machine with a wax coating!

The cycles for the USA sold Miele W3033, linked below, are the same ones available for the W4842 on pages 12 - 15.
    Our manuals don't even give the very handy programme sequence chart, on page 48 in your linked manual.

Once I determine the base ingredient in the NikWax product, your linked manual will help me decide how to manually create a cycle towards a Proofing cycle.

Thank you again. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele USA washers

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

That's why I said "gentle rinse cycle". Seems like all the washer does is dilute the proofing agent and tumble the clothes in it. How much water does the Beach Towels or Rinse Only cycle use? These seem the closest to Proofing. What you could also do is add extra water through the dispenser as the machine tumbles (or just open the door and toss an extra bucket of water in there). On the European models, one can add water almost halfway up the door before the washer starts to drain it out.

• ovenbird
    10 years ago

i've been wondering the same thing since we got a new FL a few months ago. There is washing machine use information at the Nikwax website, including FLs:

Front Loading Machine Wash:
    1. Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser.
    2. Place maximum of 2 clean garments in washing machine.
    3. Use 3floz/100ml per garment.
    4. Run 30oC Synthetic cycle and slow spin.

The website says their waterbased products are safe for washing machines. I haven't yet tried this.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nikwax TX.direct wash-in

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I called the NikWax company today, and they told me there are no paraffin wax products in the product I want to use. Everything is water soluble and biodegradable, safe for septic tank, etc. etc. etc.

However, in talking with their Cust. Service rep, she told me that applying the product ("Cotton Proof") manually with a sponge, to my old raincoat, would be the best way to treat it and that I would like the results much better. Apparently cotton fabrics are a bit trickier to waterproof. Applying with a sponge takes the FL washer out of the equation and is how I will proceed.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

We use NikWax in our Miele - it works fine with the standard cycle.

• future_retiree
    7 years ago

I know this is an old thread, it's a timely topic I was about to post on.

I've just tried Miele Outdoor detergent, and over the years have tried others, NixWax tech wash, Arc'teryx. No special comment on the Miele detergent.

I have had mixed results on different cycles using NixWax Softshell Proof to renew the water repellency of some softshell outer layers. I can't figure out if the wash cycle needs as high a water level as possible, or if some other factor in in play (too many rinses, etc.). Suspect it is one or both of these factors.

Have been using this cheat sheet (scroll down to the color PDF) as a reference guide on water levels and number of rinse cycles: http://www.atticmag.com/2013/10/miele-fans-washing-machine-cheat-sheet/