Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing Tiny Holes in (Mostly) Knit Tops

Posted by fuzzygus (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 21:37

Hi, All,

There was a post a couple of years ago that filled up. It speculated about the cause(s) of tiny holes in knit and t- shirts near where they hit the button of jeans. It seems that most people agreed that the cause was friction -- just between the top and the jeans/button, or with other things and the top, such as seatbelts and counters.

I have many new tops which developed these tiny holes after one or two wearings. I would like to salvage them as I do like them. Does anyone have a good method of fixing these tiny holes? Further, is there anything that can be ironed into the inside of a top to protect it without making it uncomfortable or oddly-appearing?

Thanks so much!
FG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing Tiny Holes in (Mostly) Knit Tops

Re ironing something on, I doubt it.

For fixing tiny holes (I do cat rescue and accumulate a lot of little punctures on my cotton turtleneck tops), I take a matching thread and make a tiny mend to keep the tear from laddering. It's stops that, but nothing makes the it go away visually.

HTH,

Molly~

o
RE: Fixing Tiny Holes in (Mostly) Knit Tops

I fixed some knitted things w/ thread or yarn in the same color. Some knits are easy to duplicate the loops, you can't even tell there was a hole but the very tiny holes on pants or shirts or jackets I used the fusable tape. It depents on color,material or size of the hole. Some you can just put tiny piece of the tape over the hole from inside and place same size tiny piece of some material (in the same color) over it and just fuse it dogether w/ steam iron.
Other time I took piece of fabric from under the hem and cut it the shape and size of the hole. Then, you lay the garment on ironing board(inside facing you). Carefully position the fill in cutout in the hole so it matches the patern etc.,overlap it w/ fusable tape and cover w/ thin piece of color matching material . Very carefully put hot steam iron over it for few seconds. It works well on knits and thicker, somewhat fuzzy material, and colorfull stuff.
I fixed, silk jackets, wool pants, dresses etc.
I'm not sure how it holds up in dry cleaning b/c I wash everything at home. I never had things fall appart,but for my customers I don't guarantee it. They always know itmight be temporary fix or it needs to be repeated.
You can practice on different thing. Eventually you get the idea what to do. The fusable tape is cheap in Walmart or any sewing store.
Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here