Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canadianmaplenb

Frigidaire affinity reviews? (considering 7000 or 8000)

canadianmaple
15 years ago

Hi! I'm brand new here but was told about this site from a friend. We are thinking about getting a Frigidaire Affinity 7000 this week. I am buying a few things from this store and was able to get $200 knocked off the 7000 model in my quote.

I have a few questions:

1. Is there a huge difference between the 7000 and the 8000? There will be a $300 difference between the two and I am leaning toward the 7000 because of that.

2. I'm somewhat nervous about getting a front loader. I've heard so many mixed reviews about them and having to get them repaired often. Am I just hearing the bad and the happy ones don't talk about their appliances?

3. Would you buy the store warranty when getting the washing machine? (I'm looking into the specifics of that tomorrow.)

4. I guess this is a biggie. My normal top loading washer and dryer are only 4 years old. They work just fine and my sister has already offered to buy them from me. I'm just wondering how much of a saving I will see when switching to the HE front loaders.

Thank you so much!

Comments (10)

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

I bought this model for my weekend lake place in June - so haven't had them long enough to know about reliability. I like the performance though. I don't remember what the difference was between the two models but I didn't want the shiny chrome trim so that's what made me buy the 7000 over the 8000. The other differences didn't seem very significant to me - whatever they were. I've had the Kenmore version of the Duet at home for about five years - love the frontloader. So far I've not had problems with it. I leave it open to dry out after using and I've not had mold/mildew and I rarely wash on hot and don't have the onboard heater. I do have that on the Affinity but rarely have any kind of load I'd want to use blazing hot water on. I knew my old TL at the lake place was nearing the end of it's life so had been researching a replacement FL. I ended up with Affinity because it's footprint is smaller than Duet and it was the perfect size for my space. It's slightly smaller capacity than the ones I have at home but not much - otherwise it's very similar. I'm very happy with it so far.

Initially I bought the very expensive extended warranty from Sears but then I read some reviews about the company they contract with to do the service and decided I'd rather take my chances and be able to use a reliable, quality service company if I have problems. Since the machines aren't at my primary residence, it would be a real pain to deal with incompetent service people.

I don't know about savings with a FL vs. TL. That wasn't a major factor in my decision to buy one so I've never tried to calculate that - not sure exactly how you'd be able to tell.

• canadianmaple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much! I know exactly what you mean about the chrome look. I liked it but not enough to spend the extra $300. I think the only other differences between the 7000 and 8000 is the spin speed and the boot rack.

• cynic
    15 years ago

IMHO the Affinity is one of the underrated values out there in a washer, especially front loading. Several people here have them and have given very positive reviews. I can't speak to the differences between them so I can't help there.

2. I'm somewhat nervous about getting a front loader. I've heard so many mixed reviews about them and having to get them repaired often. Am I just hearing the bad and the happy ones don't talk about their appliances?
    Be aware that a front loader operates differently than a top loader and there's going to be a learning curve. There are different maintenance issues too. But if you're not afraid to learn something new, you'll probably do quite well. Yes, more often people with problems will post and a a smaller percentage will post with positive reviews. So you have to look at the big picture.

3. Would you buy the store warranty when getting the washing machine? (I'm looking into the specifics of that tomorrow.)
    First off, I would probably never buy a service contract. I look at it this way:
    A) Do you plan to buy a machine that will break down often?
    B) Do you plan to spend more than the cost of the service contract on repairs during the most reliable years of the appliance life?
    C) Are you in a position to wait longer for service than hiring someone yourself?
    There's more but these are a start. If you say yes to all, then you're probably a good candidate for a service contract.

4. I guess this is a biggie. My normal top loading washer and dryer are only 4 years old. They work just fine and my sister has already offered to buy them from me. I'm just wondering how much of a saving I will see when switching to the HE front loaders.
    That IS a biggie. If your current machines are working fine, why replace them? If nothing else, you could keep the dryer if compatible size if you're deadset on replacing. I'm sure you won't get the value the machines currently are to you out of them. I'm the type who likes to use it up, hence a 30 year old washer that's still going strong.

Not sure if that helps or not, but gives something to think about.

• canadianmaple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for your post. You've given me a lot to think about. My sister did offer to buy my old ones for $500 so that is a load off my shoulders. I think I only bought them for about $800 before taxes.

• rossn2
    15 years ago

Just had the Frigidaire Affinity 8000 series washer and dryer, wtih pedastals, installed last week. These things are awesome. Purchased from Sears, free delivery and haul away (after mail-in rebate), on sale, plus rebates from Frigidaire. Didn't buy any extended service plans...
    No complaints, super quiet.

• canadianmaple
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got the 7000 and love it! Thanks for your help. :)

• marek12345
    15 years ago

In response to Canadian Maple Nov 11 08 :
    I recently purchased a frigidaire affinity front loading washing machine model atf6700fe0 and decide to check on its reliability. I found a site concerned with front loading Kenmore washer failures (made by electrolux/frigidaire) because of the corrosion of the aluminum "spider" bracket attached to the stainless steel drum. (See the web site http://www.appliancejournal.com/ or just search "Why Kenmore front load washers fail" for lots more information re why using aluminum to join with stainless steel in a liquid medium which the washer will provide is a recipe for failure.)

I called Electrolux and spoke with a person in the Extended Service Agreements office (866)386-5286 who informed me that Electrolux no longer has any kind of lifetime warranty on washing machine parts as of 2005. I then called the parts department at 1-800-599-7569 where I was informed that the spider bracket attached to the steel drum in this model aft67000fe (and I presume all other Affinity models) was made of aluminum. (By the way it used to be made of stainless steel previous to 2005 when the lifetime warranty was in effect. Nice timing,eh?) I then called my local parts dealer and was not surprised to hear that when the aluminum spider brackets would inevitably corrode to such an extent as to need replacement (say four years?) then the cost of labor and parts to replace the drum assembly spin basket which contains the spider bracket arms would run me about $500. Thanks, but no thanks, I will be returning the washer.

• berrond_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I purchased the Affinity from Lowes...they matched the prices at Best Buy which I found after my purchase. Cost was 899 for the dryer & 899 for the washer both came with the pedestals, free delivery & haul away. So far very happy...time will tell though!!!

• lsmith1070_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Just purchased a Fridgidaire Dryer 7000 from Sears they matched Lowes's price + 10%. My previous dryer stopped working, 13 year old GE. I was skeptical about purchasing the in-store warranty but I purchased it and then decided I didn't want it and had them refund my money. We have to pick up the dryer tomorrow and I'm really excited to use it. I just hope I won't be disappointed.

• bmoye_escambiak12_net
    13 years ago

the dryer seems to have a mind of it's own. only dryes when it wants to. lights flash and timer shows minutes can turn on runs 3 or 4 minutes cuts off. has any one had this problem?

Thanks