Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracy555_gw

Maytag Maxima X 4.1 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Front Load Washer

Tracy555
10 years ago

Does anyone care to share his/her experience with Maytag Maxima X 4.1 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Front Load Washer and dryer? Looking for a washer/dryer set and am overwhelmed with all the brands and choices. Thanks!

This post was edited by Tracy555 on Tue, Nov 26, 13 at 21:18

Comments (4)

• SQAWN542
    10 years ago

I cannot speak from experience but just the fact it has an electronic control board would be enough to turn me away.

Instead, may I suggest the Speed Queen AWN 542? This is the very last of the old school machines that don't need rebooted, firmware updated, nor do they need "cleaned" from time to time.
    Attached is a video of my machine in action.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen washing.

• zackin
    10 years ago

Hi Tracy,
    I bought the Maxima set about a month ago, and I'm very happy with it. It holds a lot and cleans well. I wasn't looking for steam settings, but I think I like it now that I've used it.

One feature that I particularly like is the delayed start feature. Before going to bed, I load the washer and set it to start an hour before I expect to get up in the morning. When I get up, I pop everything in the dryer and can fold before I have to leave for work. This is very convenient for my style.

A month isn't long enough to tell you anything about reliability, but I can say that I'm pleased with the ease of setting water temperature, etc. Very nice set.

• smiles33
    10 years ago

I was looking at this set, too, as Costco has it for $1699 right now, including pedestals. It's a great deal and Costco's warranty means I could return it if I get a lemon that breaks down after the normal 30 day return period.

I am just hesitating because as SpeedQueen pointed out, it may be a better investment to buy one without a circuit board/electronics that can fail.

• msgenie516
    10 years ago

I have the Maytag Maxima XL MHW8000AW front load washer and I am very happy with it. I have an âÂÂancientâ Maytag Neptune dryer which will be 16 years old in February, 2014 and it is still functioning perfectly (although I feel I need to keep my fingers crossed every time I start it up).

I only have the washer for about 2 months, so I canâÂÂt vouch for its durability but it does everything it should right now, including getting my clothes spotlessly clean. I have REALLY soiled work clothes from my husband and I can see the difference. If you donâÂÂt have terribly soiled laundry, you may never notice the difference but it is there.

What I like best about it is the automatic detergent dispenser. I am never sure if I use the proper amount of detergent and this way, the machine decides for me. I also love the âÂÂFresh Holdâ option as it does really keep the laundry fresh if you canâÂÂt get to it right away when itâÂÂs finished.

My machine is on a basement concrete floor, but I have never seen it shake.

I also read somewhere (not sure if this is true) that no matter what your machine looks like from the outside, there are electronics attached to the controls where they canâÂÂt be seen, so you may not be able to get away from them no matter what you purchase. If the electronics are your concern, you may wish to investigate this further.

Good luck in finding the right washer for you! Genie