Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love2sew_gw

washer driver direct gear??

love2sew
13 years ago

I am shopping for a new washer/dryer. I certainly appreciate all the experiences and knowledge of various brands that are posted. My question is some washers have a direct gear vs a belt/gear drives system,

Does anyone know which would be the better performer? It seams the direct gear systems cost more but this doesn't always justify a good operating system. I know you smart people will know this. Thanks so much.

Jeane

Comments (5)

• jakvis
    13 years ago

A direct drive motor vs a belt drive has no real difference in product performance. It's just a difference in manufacturing and how a marketing department makes it sound better or worse.
    Some servicers say that direct drive motors that are attached to the drum shaft are harder on the rear drum bearings because of the increased weight but I think if the bearings are designed for the increased weight it shouldn't be an issue.
    What I have seen is the direct drive motor units are more likely to get damaged if a customer moves to a new home without resecuring the machine with the packing bolts

• steveomc
    13 years ago

If you are talking about top loading washers, then the direct drive are the best, Whirlpool leads the market in sales, service, and repair.

If you are talking about front loaders, I don't think it makes a differend.

Here is a link that might be useful: What Kind of Washing Machine Should I Buy?

• dadoes
    13 years ago

But ... Whirlpool is now in the process of discontinuing the direct-drive toploader design and phasing-in a new belt-driven mechanism. The agitator models look largely identical to the older style. Closer examination will note that the controls are electronic (even though the knobs are rotary) with cycle progress lights, and there's a locking lid (the mechanism does not have a basket brake).

• love2sew
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your helpful information.

• asolo
    13 years ago

Belts have been around for a long time. The latest materials they are made from are waaaay beyond what they used to be. But the principal is the same. Allows separation of power and transmission components and allows a little "breathing room" and/or "flexibility" in the drive-line which is usually easier on all the components.

Everybody has different opinions on the topic. For myself, I would not regard belt-drive as any sort of minus.