Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtailflyer

Miele W4800 light and start switch problems?

vtailflyer
15 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member in the forum,

We have recently purchased a Miele W4800 washer. Our Drum light seems to "flash" occasionally and shut off. Normal operation, as I understand it, is it comes on for some time to assist in the loading and unloading. We have had the Miele techs here three times, however the problem persists. Has anyone experienced this?

As well, on occasion (less then the light) the washer will not start on the first attempt, sometimes it takes a few. As I was told by the Miele reps that the switch is touchy? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks so Much for any info to help us solve this problem...

Comments (10)

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

I have a W4840, probably similar enough. The drum light stays on for a few minutes while loading, shorter than I'd like. But it never flashes. Can close and open the door, or push a button, to switch it on again.

Re the start button, do you mean it doesn't respond at all? Or does it start, and then cancel the cycle, at which point you have to push the button a couple of times to get it going again? The latter means that the entrapment sensor was triggered -- something in the load shifted when the initial stream of water hit it, and the machine thinks it's an animal or child trapped in the drum. I've seen this twice, in the month-and-half I've had the machine.

• vtailflyer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI There,

The start button may need to selected twice to start,,, or upon three selections, it still did not start. My wife went up and read for 15min, then selected start again and off it went.

The Miele tech told us about the child entrapment sensor, and it was not that. They did say they have upgraded the power board as the original setting was to sensitive. You may wish to talk to your Miele rep if you find your setting is to sensitive.

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

The start button always works for me. Sure sounds like something is wrong.

BTW, if the W4800 is like the W4840, it doesn't use the heater on the "Normal" cycle, which makes it pretty useless. Use "Custom" cycle instead.

• vtailflyer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perhaps we have a troublesome unit? All the computer and power boards were replaced, as well as the door locks and LED light...

I think My wife(After some serious frustration) finally convinced Miele to exchange the unit with another...It was starting to cost us a mint to take time off work for all the service calls... I hope the replacement works better

I was begining to worry about the reliability of these units...

• homepro01
    15 years ago

The only suggestion that is make sure your electrical service is installed correctly. This sounds like an electrical gremlin. If they replaced everything and you still had the same problem, I think the problem may lie somewhere else.

Good luck and hopefully your new machine is less troublesome.

• vtailflyer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The electrical service for the washer was repositioned and inspected. The washer works after it decides to start...

They wanted to replace the wiring harness next,,, however after three service trips already, and the machine awaiting to be dissassembled for a fourth time, and having to take time off work as the service calls are only during the week during normal working hours,we were running out of options and time off work :-) But they deliver on Saturday,,,

I'm hoping the replacement does not have any further issues either...

The only comment that worried me from the Tech guy is he indicated was so busy with B units? and returned/damaged goods back at the shop. I asked if these units were troublesome ,,, he stated they were not. Seemed odd and had me a little worried.

We had done a fair amount of research prior to buying so we were hoping to be confident with the product.

If nobody else is having any hickups with the product, then perhaps we had a isolated issue that is not systemic.

• vtailflyer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HEllo all,

An update, we just recieved the replacement W4800 from Miele, I have not done a load with it yet, but was just checking the light and it appears to do the same thing...

The last machine , the light would sometimes just Flash when you open the door from either after a load, or when opening the door for the first load, really whenever... maybe once out of every 5-8 times. To simulate the error instead of waiting for the light to turn off (which takes some time, and I've done it this way) I would power the machine off by holding the pause button (I spoke to Miele on this and they said that it just powers it down, the tech guy also did this onsite),,, wait for 5-10second, then open the door. 1 out of every 5-8 times or so the light flashes,,, very strange.

If anyone else has these machines (or the W4840) ,,, has anyone experienced this? or would like to give it a try to see if it does it... IT's very odd....

Thanks in advance...

• bmac
    15 years ago

Hello,

We have a 4800 and have had it for around 8 months now. We have both exact issues as you describe - the light is flakey and sometimes flashes on and immediately off. As well, pressing the start button doesnt always work.

For the light issue, we generally just re-close the door and reopen it - the light mostly works after this.

For the start problem, we have called Miele and they told us to press the start button very quickly - apparently pressing and holding the button could cause this issue. We now press the button as short as possible but the problem still occurs.

After reading this thread, Miele has apparently replaced several parts of your washer, and even replaced the entire washer with no resolution. Is this true?

We have been contemplating calling Miele again but if they do not understand the issue, I dont want them changing parts for no reason.

Do you have any further information?

Thanks.

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

Back in 2007 there was a user on this forum named "crooks101" who got his W4800 replaced with a W4840 for free. The W4840 doesn't have the problems you're experiencing (at least mine doesn't). Maybe if you're a really squeaky wheel Miele would do the same for you. crooks101 ultimately ended up returning the W4840 too, but that was because of the Normal cycle heater issue, which others here are able to live with.

• fahrenheit_451
    15 years ago

I do not know about the light issue, but the PAUSE requiring a restart issue is the result of the following:

• When you load your clothes, and then start the machine, if the clothes settle and turn the drum the tachometer sensor reads the drum movement and stops the machine while unlocking the door mechanism. This is exacerbated by clothes settling when water is administered to the tub if enough drum revolution occurs through water wetting the clothes, thereby causing a lopsided weight situation, hence causing the drum to revolve. The water jet that is above the door is entirely unnecessary (and can be turned off through the firmware) but was designed to exhibit that water was indeed being introduced into the drum as people were concerned that they did not see water, or that there was too low a water level (common to those who switch from a TP to FL).

• This is directly related to the pet/child safety feature.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor